Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So bored with my hair!

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I have APL length, dyed espresso brown hair. The end are pretty damaged so I S&D about once a month.

I just don't feel like me with my hair like this. It sounds so superficial that I am almost embaressed to post this.

I think I look better with lighter hair than I have right now. My mom says it, a few co-workers have said it too. Actually at diffrent times diffrnt co-workers and clients freaked out when I dyed my hair darker. I could tell most of them were trying to be nice about it, and most of them are blonde. A few people have been pretty blunt and said the blonde hair brought out my face a lot better.

My boyfriend says he likes my hair better darker, but this is even darker than my natural medium brown color. My aunt also likes my hair darker.

This first pic is with my dyed blonde hair. It was yellowy, which I didn't like. I now refer to it jokingly as "skank yellow". This was taken before a night out with the girls. If you look closely you can see how fried parts of my hair were.

The next pic is of me with my current hair color. It is a bad picture lol. I am sans makeup and in pajamas but it was only taken for me to monitor hair growth. Sorry for the sad puppy dog face.

I have about 5 inches in virgin hair and the rest is bleached and then dyed brown.

Thanks for your time

ETA:
    PS. My hair goal is to have hair down to my waist. The last time it was that long was when I was 5.
    Last edited by Finoriel; March 16th, 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: merged posts to ETA

I'm probably not any help. I think you look good both ways. leaving your hair the way it is will help you to get to waist, but there are plenty of people who do their hair blonde here, you just need to baby and take great care of it.

ETA:
    By the way... maybe try some new hair pieces like clips or sticks. YOu have a good length of hair check out the articles section they have great hair dos there.
    Last edited by Finoriel; March 16th, 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: merged posts to ETA

Length
    17"/21"/30"?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: So bored with my hair!

I like the dark brown! I'm all for growing out your virgin color, and in that photo I can't even tell where the virgin ends and the colored part begins. I'm growing out a very faded red, and have almost reached my one-year anniversary! I love the soft feel of the virgin hair.

If you are bored with your color, have you thought of doing something natural like henna? On your dark brown, it wouldn't give you red-red hair, but only reddish highlights in the sun I believe. (ask on the henna board)

Or, you could add just a few highlights. It would be less damaging than the blonde. You have to bleach a LOT to get your dark brown all the way to blonde.

Length
    Neck/SL-AP/Waist
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

I think your hair looks good in both pictures as you have a nice face; but I think that it would look best lighter than it is now, not as blonde as the first picture but maybe a caramel brown with blonde highlights.
    Your hair looks in really good condition to me.

But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering. 1 Corinthians 11:15 Hair goals: APL December 2011 BSL December 2012

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Thanks melrose for the quick response

maybe I should get a few new hair toys.

I am not sure if I even can go back to a lighter shade without sacrificing most of my new growth. Hopefully someone who has been in this same predicament will chime in.

where do you get your hair toys from?

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I think the darker color suits you very well! It makes sense that those other women with highlighted hair would try to push it on you too, since that's what they have. But you're you, not them. If you're growing your hair long, it'll probably be easier without the highlights/color stripping. It's doable for some lucky people (to have highlighted AND waist+ hair), but you never know what yours is going to do until you get there, and by then it may be too late. Mine is giving up the ghost around mid-back. I am growing out my highlights though, but the old bleached ends take extra-super babying, plus monthly maintenance trims to keep straw-like ends at bay.

I think I look dead with my darker, natural hair color. However, this is not the case with you!!

PS I'm glad you posted this thread! It's very relevant and not to be embarrassed about.
    Last edited by MsBubbles; December 5th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Length
    28"/TB/Knee?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I think it depends on what sort of look you are going for--blonde looks young, flirty, & "now". Dark hair looks more romantic & elegant to me, but it makes you look less young--not old definitely, but more timeless & serious. (Of course, some of it could be the expression on your face in those photos, haha!)

Personally I prefer the darker hair--it looks natural, more unique. But I also think it's very important for YOU to like it.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

TBH I'm not fond of the blonde on you. It's not terrible, but I see so many women with slightly-unflattering dyed-blonde hair... you could do better.

I like the dark; it really makes your eyes pop and the contrast with your warm skin tone is beautiful!

You would probably also look great with a slightly lighter and warmer brown; if you only went up a shade or two you shouldn't have to use very harsh developer.

Chocoholic bookworm little_acorn's Avatar
    Length
    17"/27"/31"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I like you with the dark hair better

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I like the dark color better on you, too. I think it flatters your skin tone a lot.