Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wish me luck! [stretching washing]

tangle teezer evangelist freckles's Avatar
    Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default wish me luck! [stretching washing]

Hi guys, just jumping in for a bit of hair-moral-support and well wishes I'm normally a twice-a-week washer (CWC), most often Mondays & Fridays. I last washed on Friday, and it's now Monday night, and since I'm still off University and han hide at home for a little longer, I've decided I should jump on this opportunity to try to stretch my washes to once-a-week, at least for the next couple of weeks until I go back to Uni (I might have to stop then if it's not going so well, since I actually have to go out and see friends and lecturers and etc then ).

So it's Monday night, and I have to admit -- my hair is feeling pretty manky already! My scalp is starting to feel gross, too I am also starting a month of updos in October so hopefully that will help somewhat. Wish me luck, guys -- and of course, any tips from those who have successfully stretched washes will be much appreciated!
    don't know whether your hair is brown or red? us neither!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: wish me luck! [stretching washing]

Good luck!! I know how it is.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

There really isn't anything wrong with washing more often, have you tried condition only inbetween washing? Or herbal washes? Shampoo bars? Water only? There is a ton of stuff to try. My normally greasy scalp is now happy with a wash every 4-5 days, I used to wash every day or every other day. It can take a couple weeks to adjust to a new routine, also. Good luck!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thank you both for the well wishes

kdaniels: The reason I want to try to stretch washes even more is because my very fine hair seems to gather a ton of damage (and it is virgin hair root-to-top) - I had a trim about 2 weeks ago and even so, I am cutting off 20+ split ends a day It seems to be just very, very fragile! So since hair is most fragile when wet, stretching washes is just part of my moving to decrease handling, especially when fragile - hence why I'm not doing CO or WO instead Hope that clarifies things a bit!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Length
    Bob/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i

Hey I totally have the same fine hair as you, so what i do to stretch inbetween washes is:
    A. Snowy's Massage Technique Before the shower, and during the shower. I basically act like there is some shampoo on my head and i smoosh it all around for about 3 mins twice.
    B. Comb only in the shower
    C. Updos are my best friend

Hope it helps!
    APL-BSL-Waist
    -wavy- cwc

Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks kmangus I am definitely working towards more updos - but why do you find that A & B help you stretch washings? Any ideas? Are you talking about getting your hair wet in the shower when not a wash day? I was hoping to avoid that with my trusty showercap

Length
    9in/20in/3ft
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Good luck, putting my hair up helps for those in between washing times.

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Good luck! I find it so much easier to stretch washings after summer is over!
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks everyone This is my 4th day no washing so a day longer than my normal stretch in a week. I'm not sure I'll make it to Friday -- but this is longer than usual so I guess every day more than this is a bonus and I can stretch more next time

My hair feels very greasy near the roots. Down, it looks okay, but if I try to put it up it pulls into strands on my scalp that make it look piecy and unwashed, bleh. I guess updos, for some of us, don't actually hide greasies - quite the opposite! Still, I french braided today and still decided I looked 'good enough' to go clothes shopping. My standards for looking 'good enough' aren't very high

Hopefully I'll at least make it through tomorrow (Wednesday) without washing.

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I really want to stretch my washings too for the very reasons you mention. I haven't had much luck mostly because the length of my hair tends to feel really bad after a few days. I think the damaged parts just need the moisture boost from a shower. I'd still like to stretch to at least every 3 days.

Have you tried corn-starch on your roots when they're looking less than fabulous?