Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What inspired you to grow long hair?

Length
    BSL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default What inspired you to grow long hair?

Forgive me if this topic has been addressed! I searched, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

What was the inspiration to grow your hair long? I know I was always drawn to Pre-Raphaelite works depicting long haired women (which must be a shared interest here, judging by avatars!) and fairy tales that told about the magic of long hair. I'm just curious about how you all came to want long hair!

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: What inspired you to grow long hair?

I've envied the long hair in the Lord of the Rings movies for years. Lol. And besides that it was just me getting tired of being stuck with a handful of hairstyle options. Down. Up. Half up..... That's it. Lol. I wanted braids and buns and pretty feminine styles.

Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I had long hair when I was younger, but when I became a teenager I took advantage of it, I bleached, dyed, fried, etc... and eventually cut it short. I like/miss the look of long healthy hair... and it doesn't help that I have a mother whom I see all the time who's hair is past her waist!

Length
    17'/29'/30'
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Ooh lots of things!

The paintings of John William Waterhouse (avatar pic!), disney princesses like Jasmine and Sleeping Beauty - they looked so beautiful, feminine and graceful and I always wanted to put on a pretty gown and dance around with my hair swirling around me like that, hehe.

Emmy Rossum's hair in Phantom of the Opera (nearly persuades me to get a perm every time I watch it: http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/p...y_rossum10.jpg

Any "period piece" film in general that has women pulling combs out of their hair before bed to reveal long gorgeous tumbling locks that were so cleverly concealed by the updo.

And also just being frustrated by short hair in general - such fewer ways to style it and whenever it's summer and I'm at the beach I always wish to god I had long hair to go with my bikini, hehe.
    Great thread!

Length
    29.5/35/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Period films have inspired me also. I'm a huge Jane Austen nut, so I have pretty much every movie that ever was adapted from her books ... I like to dream of the idea of semi-upper class/upper class self having someone else come in and style my hair into these intricate do's everyday :P

I have also been inspired by everyone here at the LHC who have put so much time and effort into such amazing hair! The styling especially! I have seen so many styles that made me say to myself "just a few more inches and I will be able to do that!" This is my first ever post, but I've been lurking for a while (even as a signed up member), and I just wanted thank everyone here for doing what you do!

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Generally Bollywood movies, particularly the scene in Devdas where I think it is Parvati who smacks Devdas with her braid. A gesture that is both fiesty and devastatingly feminine.
    But that is in terms of looks. A more visceral inspiration was probably tipping my head back and feeling my (compared to y'all) short hair tickle my back. It was a very comforting feeling and I wanted that all the time. It was probably that feeling alone that really drove me to not only have long hair (compared to what everybody else thinks is "long") but hip length, whoa nelly hair.

Length
    Ear/TBL/CL
    Type
    3b/M/i

The urge to be slightly different. And a really bad pixie cut. My hair was at Bra strap length by the time I joined and I thought my hair was already pretty long but then when I was looking for styling videos on youtube I found so many with beyond waist hair that I had to try and go all the way.
    Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist-Hip-TBL-Classical-MTL-Knee---Onward and Downward

Length
    16/38/N/A
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

religious conviction
    Jessica - Crunchy WAHM to one beautiful boy, wife to my wonderful husband for 3+ years: Non hair-cutting...only 1 hair trim in 4.5 years

Banned
    Length
    20 In/27 In/thigh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I am obsessed with Medieval History and Archeology and have always wanted to have classic and beyond hair like in the fairy tales i was read when i was a child. plus i had classic length hair as a child so wanted that length back. my fave story was Rapunzel, so love long hair. that is what inspired me to grow it long again, besides the last thing my Dear Departed Hubby asked me to do was grow my hair to my knees. so doing as he asked.

Rapunzel Wannabe Robbi Dehlinger's Avatar
    Length
    SHORT/24 in/60 in

The people here, of course??

So much beautiful hair to admire
    How long will it grow? Who knows? Let us see? Maybe I will be the next Diane Witt?