Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to trim curly hair?

Length
    12/19/24
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default How to trim curly hair?

I'm pretty confident with a pair of scissors. I used to trim my mom's and my sister's hair regularly when I lived at home. Thing is - they have *very* straight hair, and it was pretty simple to do.

My boyfriend has long curly hair, and he hasn't had it trimmed in 6 months. It's starting to get the "pyramid" shape - and it definitely is not flattering on him. Does anyone have advice when it comes to cutting/trimming curly hair? For reference, his curls are about 1 inch in diameter, and his hair is fairly coarse.

I'm not planning on cutting it asap - I want to do my research and figure things out before I take scissors to my dear one's hair..

Going long after being short for 6 years!

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: How to trim curly hair?

The most popular ways to cut curly hair seem to be point cuts (not sure how to do it, but it's what I get done) or Deva-style cuts where each curl in cut individually based on its shape, pattern, how it plays into neighboring curls, need for layering, etc. I think it can be different than trimming straighter hair. Even some stylists have difficulty in trimming curly hair.
    Last edited by redcelticcurls; July 27th, 2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15.75/25.2/43.31
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Maybe you could cut when his hair is wet, or a tail with many scrunchies.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

He needs layering to get rid of the 'pyramid' shape. If you just trim the bottom, it will only look worse.

naturallycurly.com has user reviews for salons and hairstylists who are good with curly hair.

Length
    2 in/MBL/???
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Very true. I had mine cut into layers, although I'm now growing them out since my hair is longer. But, that did give it the best shape at the time.
    Lady Libra, Bardic Gloriana, Duchess of the Land of a Tall Hayre Tale in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I think trimming curl by curl is the easiest - my mom has 3a/3b hair and always cuts it by herself this way (but she has it shorter, sort of a just below ear curly bob type thingy)
    May 2009

Length
    12/19/24
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Curl by curl does sound like it would be the best way - thanks everyone. I'm assuming you do this sort of cut when the hair is dry. Right now his hair is a frizzy mess, partially because the layers have grown out, and it's resulted in a mess of curls that are too heavy for their own good.

Thanks everyone

Going long after being short for 6 years!

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Curls should be layered at shorter lengths. Once they can weigh themselves down, life is easier. Layering hair isn't too hard, and it can be done wet or dry. If his hair is curly, wet may be easier, just so you don't have to stretch each curl individually. Depending on how curly it is, a V cut is often good (thins the sides, keeps the length.
    Good luck!

Type
    2c/M/ii

Really the quickest way to get rid of pyramid head is to let the hair grow longer as quickly as possible.

I have been cutting my own, curl by curl, for years., and it works great. I also try to keep the hem fairly even using Feye's self-trim method (cutting off the end of my low ponytail).

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Bump!
    I need an advice from those who self-trim curly/wavy hair. I used to have it cut in one salon but it is rather hi-end and right now I can't afford to shell out a fortune every 6-8 weeks. And my last experience with a cheaper one was not good, they don't know how to trim such hair and I lost some definition. I don't want to change the shape, it just needs a little ends trim so I'm thinking of mini-trimming by myself.
    I have lots of questions:
    - do you trim hair wet or dry?
    - what kind of scissors to be used?
    - should a tress be stretched or let in natural form?
    - bevel /blunt..? any other tips, considerations?

Will really appreciate your advice, thanks!

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.