Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid rinse question

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Acid rinse question

For those of you who use an acidic rinse (vinegar, lemon juice, etc): do you use it after shampooing or after conditioning? Do you use it every time you wash your hair? I am thinking of trying a rinse with citric acid since I always have that around the house.

Thanks for any input!

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Acid rinse question

I don't use a conditioner when I use an acid rinse.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    20"/36"/44"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I do CWC once a week. After every wash/CWC I always finish with an ACV rinse. I have very hard water and with the rinse I have experienced amazing results!

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I do a diluted vinegar rinse between shampoo and conditioner. I haven't noticed any effects on my hair, but my scalp LOVES it. It doesn't start to feel oily for much longer now after a wash, and there are no flakies or itchies EVER.

It's one of the best things I've started doing since joining the LHC.

I wash and condition once or twice a week and always use a lemon rinse after conditioning. I have not had any conditioner give me the smoothness, shininess or slip that I get when I use the lemon rinse in conjunction with conditioner. Lemon rinse without conditioner doesn't seem to do anything for my hair - likewise the ACV rinse without conditioner.
    Lady Ianuariae of the Healing Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I found using an AC rinse more than a few times per month caused my hair to become more straw-like in terms of mouisture conent and appearance.
    I only use it after shampooing with a CV bar or other soap (rather than surfactant) based cleansers. I don't believe an acid rinse to remove build up is really needed after using an SLS-type shampoo. An acid rinse to get the cuticle to lay down is a good idea, but most conditioners do that anyway.
    There are so many variables that determine whether an acid rinse is good for a person or not so much, like water quality, types of shampoo/cleansers used, type of hair and condition of scalp, type of conditioner used if applicable, etc.
    I think you should use it as often as you like and just watch for any unwanted side effects.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Length
    2/18/there

I use an ACV rinse after I have CO. I don't rinse it out either. I also mix it with cold water . I keep a large plastic pitcher in the shower and mix it up before I get in. My hair is very frizzy and I do see a difference when I do the rinse and when I don't. Sometimes I mix in a few drops of Jojoba and Aloe and it works great.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I do a weak citric acid rinse (1/4 tsp. in 1/2 gallon of water) as the final rinse every time because I have hard well water and it's the only thing that prevents my hair from getting gunky and built up. I haven't had a problem using this concentration of citric acid, and in fact my hair is in much better condition since I started doing it.

Account Closed by Member Request

After conditioning

Length
    16/16.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

I use a diluted ACV rinse every time I wash, after I rinse out the conditioner. I have had no problems with color changes, dryness (as long as I dilute it enough), or smell. It helps my scalp tremendously and the texture of my hair is much much improved since I began using ACV rinses.
    Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist~ Hip~Tailbone~Classic
    Walk in the shadow of love, let your feet walk upon paradise