Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid shampoo bar recommendation?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Solid shampoo bar recommendation?

I'm interested in trying solid shampoo bars, the sulfate based kind not the lye soap kind.

Does anyone use these? Recommend a seller, preferably on Etsy?

I'm not interested in lush products at all so don't go there please.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Solid shampoo bar recommendation?

GetLathered is the original Etsy guru. She's got a great product. On a break until the 20th.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I saw her products but it so hard to know which seller to go with. So many people selling the same thing but different formula. Thanks for the review, I'll check her out again.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I saw her products but it so hard to know which seller to go with. So many people selling the same thing but different formula. Thanks for the review, I'll check her out again.
    I know her from a soapmaking board where she is a member. I make my own but our base formulas are very similar.
    I am Galvatron … you have no right to change what I am!

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

https://www.fortunecookiesoap.com/co...s/shampoo-bars

These are SLS free... But I thought you'd have fun because the bars' names are hilarious:
    "I am no man!"
    "Unicorn farts"

Hehehe!
    Virgin red hair, hip length. Last cut Nov. 2016 Second goal Classic length!
    --- Isaiah 55 ---
    --- Romans 14:11 ---

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I found a make your own kit from scenter squares. I like being able to add color/scent I want and its a little cheaper than buying the bars. I'll report back once I get the kit and get them made.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1096985..._home_active_1

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I found a make your own kit from scenter squares. I like being able to add color/scent I want and its a little cheaper than buying the bars. I'll report back once I get the kit and get them made.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1096985..._home_active_1
    Ingredients look good! Cocoa butter would be too much for me, if you need any tips on melting it let me know. There can be some tricks.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

The bar I'm using now has kokum butter and its not heavy so I hope the cocoa isn't too much. If I like these and end up wanting more, I'll probably buy the ingredients individual and use shea instead.
    Tips for melting would be appreciated. I make lye soap and lotion but all the melting for that is done in the microwave, I plan to do these with a double boiler.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

The bar I'm using now has kokum butter and its not heavy so I hope the cocoa isn't too much. If I like these and end up wanting more, I'll probably buy the ingredients individual and use shea instead.
    Tips for melting would be appreciated. I make lye soap and lotion but all the melting for that is done in the microwave, I plan to do these with a double boiler.
    If kokum works for you, I think cocoa butter will be fine, maybe a little more moisturizing but not huge. Low and slow is my recommendation, I use a mini crock pot reserved for such things. I don't know what the recommendation on the kid is but definitely melt the hot stage liquids with the powders. The powers melt much more easily with the liquids. Personally, I will add a little water to the mix if it stays too chunky. In the end is pours like a hot process soap, vs a cold process. Low and slow is the key though. Surfactants stink to high heaven if they scorch.

If you end up like this, I recommend going to swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca for formulating tips, she's pretty much my idol. She doesn't sell, she just formulates and shares everything with the masses.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I got my kit and made the bars today. Used the microwave, everything melted down very easy and the mix was thin enough to pour so my bars look pretty good. I've not used one yet but the seller included a sample bar that is the same recipe but different oils. Used it this morning and I really like it. Hair is soft, shiny and scalp is clean.

One of the best things about this kit is she included the complet recipe so I can purchase the ingredients to make my own. The only thing I didn't like is there was no preservative included, I didn't have any so these are preservative free. Not sure how prone they are to growing cooties but I would have liked a preservative.

Sorry for the bad pics, they are prettier irl. Scented with rose and champagne
    Last edited by Obsidian; January 21st, 2018 at 06:01 PM.