Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Join me - indian style haircare for better growth and less shedding

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Lightbulb Join me - indian style haircare for better growth and less shedding

So, I have recently been through a massive shed, and therefore, have been looking for ways to stop it. That was when I came across a homepage (link is in the bottom) talking about indian haircare. And then it hit me; why not try some indian hair care ideas? The indian women always have the most amazing hair. Even though I am of european decent, I figure it should still work, at least to some extent. So I did a little research, and couldn't find a thread about it.

So, anyone want to join me in this little indian adventure? It would be interesting to see if this could actually work. Of course, only to the extent you feel fits your hair and life. Either way, I will still do it, and post about it here. But opinions and theories are welcome - it is always more fun when more people are doing it.

Also, if you know more indian secrets, please share them with me - I am dying to know them.

http://www.indiacurry.com/women/indiahaircare.htm
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Join me - indian style haircare for better growth and less shedding

My plan so far:

- Oiling before every wash, and leave in overnight (right now it is avocado oil, but I also have coconut oil and almond oil, which seems to be more traditional). Oiling will contain an indian head massage.

- Eating a healthy diet every week. This should give hair more nutrients to absorb, and thereby (maybe) grow a little faster - or at least stop the shedding). Every dinner meal must contain garlic, onion and ginger. Moreover, I will have a 'veggie of the day', and the meal this day must contain this veggie. (I am not going vegetarian - just add some more veggies to the food).

- I will try to braid it more, to protect it when I am outside, but no promises yet - I love having my hair loose.

- If I have time, I will probably try out some of the recipes for shampoo, conditioner or hair masks.

ETA: I will try to do the 100 strokes per day, both from side to side, upside-down, and so on.
    Last edited by DancingQueen; October 11th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Length
    1"/24”/24”
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I will join you! I started oiling my hair at night prior to washing it in the morning. It really helps my scalp and hair overall. Many Indians put coconut oil in their hair *after* they shower like a leave in conditioner, but they have much thicker and darker hair. I would look like a greasy mess if I did it that way with my fine, blonde hair.

I have always wanted to buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Almond-Eyes-Lo.../dp/0061246530 Perhaps you have just inspired me to go for it
    Last edited by 11; November 18th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Length
    30"/30"/50"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Hmm I may want to join when I can get so more money, I wouldn't mind trying that hair growth tonic. I wonder if it will help my hair to grow fast even if only a little.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by 11 View Post
    I will join you! I started oiling my hair at night prior to washing it in the morning. It really helps my scalp and hair overall. Many Indians put coconut oil in their hair *after* they shower like a leave in conditioner, but they have much thicker and darker hair. I would look like a greasy mess if I did it that way with my fine, blonde hair.

I have always wanted to buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Almond-Eyes-Lo.../dp/0061246530 Perhaps you have just inspired me to go for it

As a side note. I will be visiting India in a month (husband is from India, visiting family and vacationing). I would be happy to look for products/hair toys to bring back should anyone want something in particular.
    Wow, thank you for the link, I just bought it on kindle. Can't wait to read it! You are lucky to go to india, I really want to see it someday.

MidnightSunlite: When you do, let me know if it works.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I want to join! My sister's father was of Indian decent, and because of that she has such dark, long and thick hair! I've always loved it. They have such pretty hair

I'm going to start oiling my hair twice a week with either coconut or olive oil, and doing scalp massages with it. I'm also going to start wearing it braided a lot more often, and always wear it braided when I sleep.
    Hopefully I will be able to get some ingredients to make my own shampoo one of these days.

I looked Indian Hair Care up on Youtube, and found some pretty interesting videos.
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL
    goal: waist length

I've been doing mostly Indian haircare routine for the last year, but am about to stop as I am experiencing heavy hair loss. My dermatologist believes this is due to hypervitaminosis A, but I think oiling pulls out weak hair too. I've been oiling scalp 2-3x per week overnight with coconut or sesame oil infused with brahmi/amla/bhringraj, washing off with a mix of aritha/shikakai/bhringraj in the morning. I did not lose any hair during the first 8-9 months, saw some new hair growth (nothing spectacular, though), then the shed started. I've stopped Vit A a month ago and still have hair loss. Anyway, good luck, I'd love to watch your progress.

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

This youtube channel has a lot of beauty tips on it that are fairly inexpensive
    http://www.youtube.com/user/farahdhukai
    BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Length
    30"/30"/50"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Will do DancingQueen! In the mean time I'll try that oiling before washing like you guys are doing.

edit: Oh! And thanks for the youtube channel I'll check it out when I find some time

Length
    ear/chin/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I'm definitely interested in that tonic as well!