Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Losing the Layers

Length
    8in/15in/20in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Question Benefits of Losing the Layers

I have been growing out my hair for about four years now. I've just recently made it to waist. Yay!

I have THICK wavy hair and I've had layers since I can remember. I also have damage on the bottom half of my hair from past lightening but it's not that bad(my hair is super resilient) but still I have more split ends then I want. My layers are pretty grown out, they start just a few inches above my ends.

People on here always talk about how they're trying to get rid of their layers and have a U shaped hemline. I agree that that is a nice look and I am thinking about trying to achieve that. But why do LHCers seem to detest layers so much? Does having a straight(ish) hemline reduce the amount of split ends? What are the benefits of losing the layers once you're hair is considered (somewhat)long? Are there any?

Id appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Benefits of Losing the Layers

My layers annoy me when I'm trying to make a nice braid and they kick out everywhere. Now, like you, mine are just a few inches short of my hemline. I'm happy with them there...still look nice when my hair is down and my braid is pretty even.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

For me, No layers means my hair will be/look as thick as it possibly can..and that would mean a lot to me since my hair is already fairly thin looking.
    After a while I realized that my hair would actually be pretty, and possibly considered thick if It was all one length (but I will always keep my bangs, side part, and face framing!) so now I am on that journey. I chopped off 4 or 5 inches last month and it is a world of difference. I have probably 4 or 5 inches to go until they are gone but I am not willing to chop that short any time soon : ]
    Taking an LHC break.

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I am perhaps in the serious minority here, but I love my layers!

They give me movement and make my hair look really nice when worn down. They are long layers, so they aren't all over the place.

Mine don't make braids or updos difficult, probably because the layers aren't short.

I guess without layers your hair looks as thick as it can, but that's not really my goal, so I'm good with mine.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    CL/MBL/HL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I am getting rid of mine for two reasons. I find it difficult to put my hair up with them (pops out everywhere for the last 3-4 inches of my braids, pops out of my buns an makes me look like a fuzzy peacock, etc) and I find them very difficult to S&D. I think a lot of people look wonderful with them, but my ultimate goal is to be able to do tidy updos and for my hair that means one blunt length.
    Patient because there's no other viable option. How long can I grow before my 40th birthday?

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

I love my layers, too!! I will not give them up. My hair looks thinner without them. It lays prettier with them. I too have long layers and I'm planning to keep 'em!!
    Lady Nemhain, Keeper of the Underworld Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - 2a/2b - F - i

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Good question, I've been wondering this myself for some time. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I am also in the process of getting rid of my layers, but I don't know how will it feel/look/benefit my hair. I will just have to wait, get rid of my layers and see how it is. I never had a blunt hemline before.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Length
    8in/15in/20in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Yeah I guess as my hair has gotten longer I have wanted to wear it in a braid or bun more(I can't wear it in a ponytail anymore because the weight pulls too much and gives me a pretty instant headache). Having my hair all one length will make fewer pieces left out! I guess the reason that I've always had layered hair is because hair dressers always say "your hair will look too heavy at the bottom of you don't layer it up a little." I always listened to them because I figured they knew better then me. Plus it does make sense for shorter hair(I mean I don't want to
    get that patty and Selma look from the Simpsons). Now that my hair is long I think I might not mind "weight" at the bottom. After all, it seem like something not everyone can achieve and I like being unique. Thanks for the responses so far!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I just don't like mine. It does make some hair styles a pain due to layers sticking out.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by zombi View Post
    I love my layers, too!! I will not give them up. My hair looks thinner without them. It lays prettier with them. I too have long layers and I'm planning to keep 'em!!
    Me too, exactly! I don't like buns anyway. Braids need re-braiding a bit more often because bits stick out sooner, but it's worth it!