Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Hair headaches.

Default Heavy Hair headaches.

For those with heavy hair, how do you deal with the weight?

Several times in the past Iv had reoccuring headaches which were said to have been my hair, I got it chopped, and it turned out it wasn't. How do you do with it if it is?

NB I dont have much hair at the moment, just prepping for when I do.

Default Re: Heavy Hair headaches.

My hair is only BSL but it is very thick. If I wear an updo too high on my head or too tight, I can get a headache from the weight and the pulling sensation. But I also can't wear headbands because the pressure gives me a headache, so I might just have a sensitive head. I have to wear my hair low on my head (low braids and buns) or down.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

If I got headaches it would be due to updos or certain styles that concentrate all the weight in one place, or hairsticks or pins hurting my scalp, or my hair being smoothed back in a direction it is unused to. None of these things are due to having long hair. They're just due to what you do with said long hair. Maybe this was your problem.

I currently plait my hair instead. It allows it just to hang down in its natural direction, and feels comfortable.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Like chopandchange said, I only get headaches when all the hair is concentrated in one place, like a high ponytail on the back of my head. I'm usually fine with hairsticks or forks, though, I find they distribute the hair better

Kristina713, I get that with headbands too. Sometimes I try attaching a cushion of foam to the headband, but this only works for a few hours.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

when i was at waist length, i didn't have any headache (and my hair's quite heavy). I even got tailbone-length extensions and i had no headache, although scalp felt sore then.

There was a girl in high school that said how updos gave her headache and she had to have her hair down. we never understood her

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Me too. Headaches are more the result of style than just heaviness.

Length
    13/37.5/termi
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I did the same thing, chopped because of headaches, and there they still were..it turned out to be TMJ ...anyone who is having regular headaches and not just from high pony tail days or something, it is probably NOT your hair...stress and TMJ or neck problems are more likely...so there i was with no hair, monster headaches..and i got a little appliance to sleep in, within 24 hours, no headaches...after like 18 months of tests,scans, hair cuts...GAH. see your dentist and tell them you are having alot of headaches...
    Lady Primrose~Garden Keeper of the Hillside Warren in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

When the weight of my hair bothers me, I let it down, then put it back up differently or braid it. Sometimes I do this off and on all day long, other times I find that "sweet spot" where nothing is pulling and everything is balanced just right - then I'm set for the entire day. That doesn't happen very often, though.

I'll add in on this one - my mother had hair down to her knees and her doctor told her that her hair length was to blame for her headaches...she chopped it all off to a pixie cut, only to find it wasn't the cause...and she cried for two weeks solid afterwards.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I cut my waist length hair at the request of a neurologist who was sure my migraines were caused by the weight of my hair.

I went to a shoulder-ish length. Guess what... I still have migraines, 15+ years later.