Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I look like a poodle!

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Angry I look like a poodle!

I made the worst decision when I cut bangs a couple months ago. Lately, my bangs are getting curlier and curlier. My hair is also getting more wave, which i like as long as its not frizzy (happens sometimes) but the bangs are out of control! If I blowfry them(rarely), it only lasts about 30 minutes and I'm a poodle again. Today I was so frustrated I slicked my hair back in a bun and covered my head with a satin scarf because it wouldn't stay slicked down. I can't walk around with a scarf on everyday so I need ideas! Pleeeeese...
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: I look like a poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    I made the worst decision when I cut bangs a couple months ago. Lately, my bangs are getting curlier and curlier. My hair is also getting more wave, which i like as long as its not frizzy (happens sometimes) but the bangs are out of control! If I blowfry them(rarely), it only lasts about 30 minutes and I'm a poodle again. Today I was so frustrated I slicked my hair back in a bun and covered my head with a satin scarf because it wouldn't stay slicked down. I can't walk around with a scarf on everyday so I need ideas! Pleeeeese...
    Would you feel comfortable pinning your bangs back with like a little hair clip? just a thought

ETA: until they grow out?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Would headbands work?

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Aww, sounds like you're gonna have to break down and use some hairspray and/or gel. You might need to throw in some hot tools. Blowdrying makes my hair coarse and frizzy, even if the overall wave is gone, it's still puffed up. Try a curling iron or flat iron (use heavy cones first!!) and see if that does the trick. Once they get longer, you can pin them to the side and avoid further damage. They'll be fine when they grow out and then you can trim them off.

It'll be ok once you get used to styling them, I promise. And I bet it's not half as bad as you think it is. We're our own worst critics, aren't we?

better than what happend with mine, mine would stand straight up and then while it was growing out it looked so bad my mum used to sing dolly parton songs in order to make fun of my terrible poofy fringe

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Try damp oiling them, not too much. Coconut oil will penetrate the hair and camellia oil has been reported to help smooth hair.

You could do both and no damage to deal with.

Here is the camellia oil thread. You do not need to read all of it. Here is the page where Flaxen talks abour her sources and which oil she prefers. The thread is mostly reviews. On this page you will also find reviews that talk about camellia oil making hair straighter and smoother.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...p?t=456&page=7
    Last edited by ktani; October 17th, 2008 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added link and text

Type
    2a/F/ii

I have this exact same problem.

Here's what I do.

Get some good gel ( I use Aussie Mega) and apply it (use sparingly, btw) JUST to the bangs. Somettimes I moisten my bangs with water first, to help the hair lie flat. Next, get a soft head band (they have them a Wallmart for 1.50 ) and place the headband around the top of the head (v.s. the way you would normally wear a headband) like you would wear a hat, over the bangs, flattening them against your forehead. I leave this on for about an hour. Take off the headband, and then comb the bangs flat. With this method, you can always fluff up the bangs slightly so that they are not flat up against your forehead as if you were hit by a pancake. This method is great. I use it all the time since I cut my bags a couple of months ago.

Have fun

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thank you all so much!

I do use scarves and soft headbands often, and clip my bangs straight back or put a small claw clip on the top of my head with my bangs puffed in front of it.

I just can't get myself to use the conventional products. I'm pretty au-natural. I did go ahead and get some Giovanni leave in treatment today. We'll see how my hair reacts to that.

Once, I bobby pinned my bangs down while they dried and that worked pretty good, but I looked pretty funny while my hair was drying.

Thanks again, these are great ideas!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

When my fringe was at irritating length I often made a little french or dutch braid of it along the front hair line.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    When my fringe was at irritating length I often made a little french or dutch braid of it along the front hair line.
    I may try this on Monday for work, it sounds pretty if done correctly. I can make a simple french braid down the back of my head and thats about the extent of my talents, so we'll see how it goes.