Thread: Ivory Soap

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Ivory Soap

I was surfing the net and came across a few comments about the use of Ivory Soap on hair.

What are your thoughts?

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Ivory Soap

If you go in the way back machine, people used Ivory soap more than any other kind on the planet........ and yes, it was their shampoo too. This would be around before the point of 1945 or so. Anytime before that for probably lordy knows how long, Ivory soap was shampoo.

Considering shampoos were created to defeat the yucky hair soap gave, right there should be your answer. Ivory in particular, though popular, is harsh as heck on hair.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Ivory soap is SO harsh. I won't use it anywhere on my body, especially not my hair.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Yep, it is harsh, drying, and tends to leave a coating behind. Yuck.

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I used some Ivory body wash as shampoo once. It made my hair nice, soft, and clean. Too chicken to use a bar of soap on my hair though. I don't even use soap bars for my body.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have an extreme aversion to the feel of a bar of soap. To me, it's slimey, and the mucus that forms around it in the soap dish just about makes me puke. When I was very young, I used shampoo to bathe. Now I use shower gel. I think soap is terrible on hair; it is too alkaline. The health of your scalp and skin depend upon maintaining the acid mantle, so no alkalines for me.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I did some more research and there is something about the Ph of Ivory that makes it bad for hair too.

Thanks for your replies.

I use bar soaps for my body but only "Dove" for sensitive skin. I knew Dove had stuff that would coat my hair so I have not even considered that.

When I run out of my current shampoo I may buy a specialized hair shampoo bar because it seems to me that they would be more economical.

For now,I am diluting my shampoo and only using it twice a week. At this rate it will be months before I will need to buy anything new.

Thanks again for your replies.

Length
    APL/Hip/class
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii/iii

My dad has used it religously for 30+ years. I wonder it there is any corrilation that he is the only one of all his brothers that is going bald...... Hmmmm

~~> Queen of Typos <~~