Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Yes, that is fine. You just need the pure oil, the less refined the better in my opinion. Gallic acid is a constituent of the oil not an ingredient, which would show on the label as something added to it, like a preservative.

Here is an article on how coconut oil is produced that I have referred to before.
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/wh...oconut_oil.htm

Virgin coconut oil was used in this study
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

But there are some acids stated on the label, like capric, lauric and I checked, those are part of coconut oil. if it's unrefined I don't think they'd go removing the gallic acid. I don't know what to make of this.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

FrannyG
    Your post has set off some questions. To help matters, please list the brand and type of coconut oil you have been using as a guide to help others.

I have not asked this question before. There are currently 45 (including the one by pm) no damage reports using either coconutt or or a mix of coconut and argan oils as a pre-treatment.

If it will be helpful, I will start asking what brands and types of oil people are currently using.
    The only brand of coconut oil that I have used since starting this experiment is:

Spectrum Expeller-Pressed Refined Organic Coconut Oil.

While I'm sure that unrefined would likely have been a better choice, I am very sensitive to the odour of coconut. I would not have been able to keep up using the coconut oil if it were unrefined.

Nonetheless, my results have been excellent and there is no question in my mind that I have experienced far less breakage since using coconut oil prior to colouring my hair and/or touching up the roots. I did a whole head colour in late 2008, during my break from LHC, and there is no visible or palpable damage from that colouring.

I will also tell you that I completely coat all of my hair from root to tip and leave it for about an hour before applying any dye to my hair.

I'll try to take photos later today, or tomorrow after my next CO wash.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    But there are some acids stated on the label, like capric, lauric and I checked, those are part of coconut oil. if it's unrefined I don't think they'd go removing the gallic acid. I don't know what to make of this.
    That is the fatty acid content like the one listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil, not the complete phenolic content.

Here are some phenolic acids listed to give you an idea of the difference, http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00004.

This is a post I did on the phenolics in coconut oil and argan oils, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=209

Quote Originally Posted by FrannyG View Post
    The only brand of coconut oil that I have used since starting this experiment is:

Spectrum Expeller-Pressed Refined Organic Coconut Oil.

While I'm sure that unrefined would likely have been a better choice, I am very sensitive to the odour of coconut. I would not have been able to keep up using the coconut oil if it were unrefined.

Nonetheless, my results have been excellent and there is no question in my mind that I have experienced far less breakage since using coconut oil prior to colouring my hair and/or touching up the roots. I did a whole head colour in late 2008, during my break from LHC, and there is no visible or palpable damage from that colouring.

I will also tell you that I completely coat all of my hair from root to tip and leave it for about an hour before applying any dye to my hair.

I'll try to take photos later today, or tomorrow after my next CO wash.
    Thank you so much for posting this! It helps a great deal and I am adding it to your latest report, under "details and more". ETA: Done!

I am really looking forward to seeing those pictures! Before and after pictures would be great if that is possible. If not, no worries
    Last edited by ktani; February 13th, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

That is the fatty acid content like the one listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil, not the complete phenolic content.

Here are some phenolic acids listed to give you an idea of the difference, http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00004.

Thank you so much!

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    Thank you so much!
    My pleasure!

This is the key sentence from that study I posted.
    `Total phenol content of traditional coconut oil was nearly seven times higher than that of commercial coconut oil ... suggesting that the phenol content varies with the extraction method.`
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00004

This may help you too, http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/en...oconut_oil.htm
    Last edited by ktani; February 12th, 2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Here is a photo showing the comparison of my braid before I used coconut oil before colouring and one that I took today after 17 months on "the program".

I apologize for the sloppy braid, but I'm a bit under the weather and not up to making another one. I did want to get a comparison photo up as soon as possible though. Despite the poor braiding you can see the difference

I made this braid as tightly as possible, and you can see that the thickness at the nape is greater. As well, each strand is far thicker than my hair was before. The thickness eats up a lot more length.

Here is a photo showing the comparison of my braid before I used coconut oil before colouring and one that I took today after 17 months on "the program".

I apologize for the sloppy braid, but I'm a bit under the weather and not up to making another one. I did want to get a comparison photo up as soon as possible though. Despite the poor braiding you can see the difference

I made this braid as tightly as possible, and you can see that the thickness at the nape is greater. As well, each strand is far thicker than my hair was before. The thickness eats up a lot more length.
    Thank you so much for posting this!

Interesting about the strands being so much thicker. The braids are so different as is the lighting but I can clearly see the difference. Being under the weather I get not wanting to redo the braid. I was like that for 2 weeks a while back with a cold that was very draining on my energy level.

One of the peroxide damage signs reported elsewhere and in one report in Report Post III, after 8 successive bleachings, is that the hair becomes finer in texture. Your hair strands have become the opposite and become thicker. I am so happy for you!

This is a strong indication to me, aside from no damage that is perceptible right away, that coconut oil works to help prevent damage, used as a pre-treatment before conventional colour or lightening, when the chemicals are not abused.
    Last edited by ktani; February 14th, 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: grammar

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Just to be precise, when I said that the strands were thicker, I meant each of the three braid strands. Even though I was tightly braiding, the braid strands are much thicker than they used to be, and much less compact looking.

My individual hairs have not become thicker. I thought I'd better make that clear.

Just to be precise, when I said that the strands were thicker, I meant each of the three braid strands. Even though I was tightly braiding, the braid strands are much thicker than they used to be, and much less compact looking.

My individual hairs have not become thicker. I thought I'd better make that clear.
    Thank you! I was thinking invidual strands because of the report I mentioned and what had been reported elsewhere about hair becoming finer.

Now we are on the same page.

The bottom line is that you hair has become thicker. Since using catnip my hair no longer gets a breakage taper and my hair looks and feels and is thicker. I was just confusing two kinds of results.

ETA: Your results are amazing!
    Last edited by ktani; February 14th, 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm glad that I cleared that up. I'm afraid my wording wasn't very precise. I'll blame the fever.