Page 123 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Thanks, ktani. I think I'll get some of the virgin oil (I already have the others) just to be certain. I'm going to attempt to lighten the too-dark lower portion of my hennaed length just a tad, with 10 vol peroxide.
    You are most welcome!

It would depend on the amount of refining and the process used as to how the oil would be affected in terms of the chelating properties it would retain.

Please do update as to how it goes.
    Last edited by ktani; February 12th, 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

I will definitely update, but it may be awhile before I do it. I tend to think about these things a long time before I actually do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    I will definitely update, but it may be awhile before I do it. I tend to think about these things a long time before I actually do them.
    No worries about that and no rush! And thank you for replying.

This is interesting for anyone who uses coconut oil in their regular diet. Aside from being used topically as a pre-treatment that can help minimize free radical damage from conventional colouring and lightening products, dietary supplementation of coconut oil seems to help reduce abdominal obesity. I thought that I had posted this previously but I searched and apparently not.
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/...19a06ac9d&pi=1
    Last edited by ktani; February 12th, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    27/33/46
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Ktani, I have a really good success story to add to your list, but I can't tell you about it just yet! I have one final step to accomplish before I can consider my experiment a complete success, but at this point, I am certain the last step will be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowclaw View Post
    Ktani, I have a really good success story to add to your list, but I can't tell you about it just yet! I have one final step to accomplish before I can consider my experiment a complete success, but at this point, I am certain the last step will be successful.
    Right, tease me, lol!

Take your time and be sure of your results. I would rather you be entirely satisfied that you gave it the right amount of time for you to be comfortable with what you have to say.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm trying this method next weekend. I can't wait.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    I'm trying this method next weekend. I can't wait.
    I look forward to your report!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I colored my hair yesterday.
    I applied a heavy coconut oiling to wet hair, then a layer of argan oil on top of that. I let that sit for 3 hours, then applied color(Natural Instincts). I did not rewet my hair before applying the color, so my hair was nearly bone dry at the time of application.
    I left the color on for 20 minutes--roots only, then rinsed. The color rinsed out easily, and my hair did not feel stripped as I rinsed.
    My hair was a little more fluffy than usual this time around, but certainly did not look or feel damaged.
    My resistent greys seemed to take up the color better this time, perhaps because the hair was nearly dry?
    I still believe the best bet is to let the coconut oil sit overnight on the hair, but I was lazy this time!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I colored my hair yesterday.
    I applied a heavy coconut oiling to wet hair, then a layer of argan oil on top of that. I let that sit for 3 hours, then applied color(Natural Instincts). I did not rewet my hair before applying the color, so my hair was nearly bone dry at the time of application.
    I left the color on for 20 minutes--roots only, then rinsed. The color rinsed out easily, and my hair did not feel stripped as I rinsed.
    My hair was a little more fluffy than usual this time around, but certainly did not look or feel damaged.
    My resistent greys seemed to take up the color better this time, perhaps because the hair was nearly dry?
    I still believe the best bet is to let the coconut oil sit overnight on the hair, but I was lazy this time!
    Thank you for another report!

It is interesting to read all of your reported results with different timing and applications. It is very interesting to read about your resistant greys picking up more colour this time. Your colouring has been successful each time but this will be very good for others to know about. You have not reported damage in any of your reports which is wonderful!

3 hours should be more than enough time for a semi-permanent hair dye but I do remember you being more pleased with an overnight pre-treatment. I am pleased to hear that you are still pleased with the mix of coconut and argan oil. The argan oil may be helping you still get great results in less time. I will add this report to Report Post II. ETA: done!
    Last edited by ktani; February 8th, 2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    27/33/46
    Type
    1a/F/ii

All right, ktani, time for my official report!

As you know from my other thread, I have bleached my very red henna to a light orange and will be attempted to tone it back to blonde.

My bleach mixture comprised of Salon Care 30 volume developer cream and Salon Care Quick White Super Strength Whitening Powder (both available at Sally's). The ratio was approximately 3 ounces of developer to 1 once of powder.

For the first bleach, I preoiled with Spectrum Unrefined Coconut Oil and let it soak in for one hour. I then applied the bleach mixture and let it sit for 20 minutes.

I originally planned to let it sit for 50 minutes, because my strand tests showed reasonable lightening with no damage at 50 minutes. However, the heat from my head must have accelerated the bleaching process, because I got more lightening in 10 minutes than I got in the whole 50 minutes of the strand test. My hair also got very hot... and I mean hot! I was afraid my hair was going to melt off, so I rinsed at 20 minutes, and followed with an hour long SMT made with Henna N' Placenta and Garnier Triple Nutrition 3-Minute Dryness Treatment.

I had zero damage, but my color was uneven. However, I do not blame the oil for this, just human error. I likely either didn't mix my bleach well enough or there was more henna build up in some places than others. I have to add, my hair actually felt improved after the first bleach. It was really slick and smooth after rinsing the bleach off, and it felt more hydrated than it has been in a long time after my deep treatment.

For my second bleach, I repeated the same process as above, but this time, my hair did not get hot. I left it on for 20 minutes, rinsed, and followed with my deep treatment for one hour. My hair was still super hydrated afterwards, but I did notice some damage. Nothing major, just a few more splits than usual, particularly the kind that occurs in the middle of a strand of hair and makes a hole. I found a few of these very close to my ends. However, the last 4 inches of my hair is very dry and brittle, and I lost a lot of thickness there before I began hennaing. I went into this expecting that I might lose those last 4 inches, but to my pleasant surprise, they came out mostly in tact. So I still consider it a success, because I think without the pretreatment, the fragile ends would have all broken off.