Page 122 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTips View Post
    Thanks ktani! Hair has improved hugely since starting the cowash regime - much curlier!
    You are most welcome!

CO'ing is the basis of the Curly Girl routine and has been reported to work well for curly hair of all types. A well written and thought out review of the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey.
    Last edited by ktani; December 11th, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added link and text

Newbie question here:

I'm going to use ammonnia free color and %6 peroxide. I'll do first the coconot oil. Can this make a problem using ammonnia free dye? After dying i will use hair drier to make dye blend.

Quote Originally Posted by asliok View Post
    Newbie question here:

I'm going to use ammonnia free color and %6 peroxide. I'll do first the coconot oil. Can this make a problem using ammonnia free dye? After dying i will use hair drier to make dye blend.
    No, there should be no problem using ammonia free dye. This is about helping minimize free radical peroxide damage. Peroxide is also used to activate bleach.
    Last edited by ktani; December 30th, 2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

~I did a heavy coconut oiling on wet hair and left it on overnight.
    ~Twelve hours later, I wet my hair, applied more coconut oil to the roots, and some argan oil on top of that, and let it sit 10 minutes.
    ~Applied Natural Instincts hair color in my usual color, 'Suede', and let it sit for 15 minutes; after that I mixed the leftover dye with Biolage Conditioning Balm to the dye and applied that to my length for three minutes.
    ~Rinsed in lukewarm water, my hair felt very conditioned and not 'stripped' at all.
    ~Took a shower, and I applied more Biolage Balm, and rinsed with an ACV rinse.
    ~The coconut oil did not affect dye uptake, and there was no damage.

For the record, I am about 30-40% grey. When my hair is damaged, it loses it's curl. As you can see in the pictures, it is very curly.

I get much better results by using a heavy overnight coconut oiling, the way I did this time.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    ~Twelve hours later, I wet my hair, applied more coconut oil to the roots, and some argan oil on top of that, and let it sit 10 minutes.
    ~Applied Natural Instincts hair color in my usual color, 'Suede', and let it sit for 15 minutes; after that I mixed the leftover dye with Biolage Conditioning Balm to the dye and applied that to my length for three minutes.
    ~Rinsed in lukewarm water, my hair felt very conditioned and not 'stripped' at all.

For the record, I am about 30-40% grey. When my hair is damaged, it loses it's curl. As you can see in the pictures, it is very curly.

I get much better results by using a heavy overnight coconut oiling, the way I did this time.
    Thank you so much for the report! If an overnight heavy coconut oiling works best for you then that is what you need to do for your hair, which looks gorgeous! I am so pleased that you are so pleased with the results!

I will add your report to the others in Reports Post II. ETA: done!
    Last edited by ktani; December 30th, 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: ETA

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post

Hair looks gorgeous, girlcat!
    Curly - Tint hi&lo lights (cover grey!)
    Follow a cowash regime - no sulphates or 'cones
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTips View Post
    Hair looks gorgeous, girlcat!
    Thanks, CrystalTips! I'll take that as a great compliment coming from someone with such beautiful curls!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Just a quick question or two for ktani: is only virgin coconut oil recommended for this purpose, or will refined do? How about the fractionated oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Just a quick question or two for ktani: is only virgin coconut oil recommended for this purpose, or will refined do? How about the fractionated oil?
    Good questions!

People who have reported have not specified whether the coconut oil is virgin.

From what I have read, I think the less refined the oil is the better it would be for this purpose.

I think that fractionated coconut oil should be fine. No one has reported using it specifically either.

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Thanks, ktani. I think I'll get some of the virgin oil (I already have the others) just to be certain. I'm going to attempt to lighten the too-dark lower portion of my hennaed length just a tad, with 10 vol peroxide.