Page 121 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTips View Post
    Finally tried out the pre-colour coconut oil! I was still unable to acquire Argan so just coconut oil used.

Had my roots touched-up and a few lowlights applied (t section only) by my colourist yesterday. The night before, I low pooed with Giovanni 50/50 to remove any styling products etc and air dried. I applied 12 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil - in sections from root to tip - I did work the oil well into the root area as there are a lot of greys that need need to be covered and I wanted to make sure they were saturated. I really needed to know that the oil will not inhibit dye uptake - LOL!

In the morning, my hair was still coated with the oil (I'm sure some of it had penetrated but there was still a heavy coating). Two hours before my appointment, I applied 2 more teaspoons of coconut oil - focussing on the roots (especially around my parting and front as this is where I have a lot of greys) and canopy.

I asked my colourist what he uses and he has given me the following info:

Root regrowth application: Wella Colourtouch (ammonia free - this is a semi permanent colour) - 1/2 tube 7/0 plus 1/2 tube 7/1 plus 4% lotion.
    Lo lights: Wella Koleston Perfect - 7/17 plus 6% H202.

I hope the above makes sense - I'm not too clear myself!

Anyway I am pleased to report that the coconut oil did not effect dye uptake in the slightest! My colourist and stylist were amazed! My colourist was expecting to re-do!

My colour was cowashed out in the salon (no shampoo) with my own conditioner. I asked the person doing this to note whether there was any difference in the amount of colour rinsed away. She reported that there was no difference here. However, my colourist said I would be better able to assess this when I next cowash (72 hours after colour) as during the first rinse after colour there will always be colour loss.

With regard to condition/damage - it is difficult for me to assess at this point. My hair always feels dry and tangly after colour (and it felt/feels just as dry and tangly as always). There are other factors involved in how my hair feels also - I used a low poo on my hair prior to coconut oil (I am on a CG routine so do not use shampoo of any kind ordinarily). After the low poo - my hair felt disgusting and I couldn't use conditioner on it because of the research. So, after I cowash on Sunday - I will perform a self assessment. However, my colourist did say he was pleased and surprised by the result and so am I!

Pic of hair post colour in my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/
    Great news on the colour results but I am not the least surprised going by the other reports on this for the most part. One low poo may not have removed all conditonerr residue but enough to let the coconut oil chelate what it needed to to help increase dye uptake.

I look forward to your damage assessment! And I agree with the others. You hair and curls are gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    This is off-topic, but your hair is AMAZING, CrystalTips! Are the curls natural? If so, you are truly blessed. If not, please tell me how to get them!

Back on topic, my friend who has been using coconut oil prior to intensely bleaching her hair in order to dye it fun and funky shades (pink, blue, green, orange, etc.) finally reached the end of the line. She has bleached her hair repeatedly (probably 8 times in the past three months), and her hair is now so fine that she is worried it might begin breaking off (which is a risk she knew she was taking).

She has used coconut oil as a pre-treatment every time, but she didn't do overnight soaks - just applied it before bleaching. Obviously her bleaching regimen was very extreme (and overnight coconut soaks might have been more effective), but apparently there was cumulative damage from repeat bleachings, even with the coconut oil pre-treatments.
    I have said repeatedly and others have too, that the pre-treatments do not mean one can abuse conventional colouring and lightening chemicals. The oils in question here, coconut and argan oils can help minimize hair damage and in the majority of reports in this thread, no damage has been reported.

Bleaching hair 8 times in 3 months is by anyone's measure excessive. Overnight oilings may not be necessary and are a good idea before bleach but it is more important that the hair get a heavy oiling and that the oil(s) used are allowed to penetrate and saturate the hair well prior to the chemical service, and that can mean at least an hour on the hair before colouring and lightening, depending the strength of the chemicals used.
    Last edited by ktani; December 6th, 2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Great news on the colour results but I am not the least surprised going by the other reports on this for the most part. One low poo may not have removed all conditonerr residue but enough to let the coconut oil chelate what it needed to to help increase dye uptake.

I look forward to your damage assessment! And I agree with the others. You hair and curls are gorgeous!
    Thank you, ktani! Re the low poo - I hate using shampoo of any kind now, it may be the case that one low poo would not remove all condish etc but my hair sure feels completely stripped after using! LOL!

I am wearing my hair up until I can cowash tomorrow - and I have to say all the 'underneath' hair feels soft. It's just the canopy and ends that feel dry and are craving moisture! I'm sure all will be well once I slather on the conditioner tomorrow! I will do an ACV rinse to shut down the cuticle and in a week or so, will do a protein DT.

Thank you, ktani! Re the low poo - I hate using shampoo of any kind now, it may be the case that one low poo would not remove all condish etc but my hair sure feels completely stripped after using! LOL!

I am wearing my hair up until I can cowash tomorrow - and I have to say all the 'underneath' hair feels soft. It's just the canopy and ends that feel dry and are craving moisture! I'm sure all will be well once I slather on the conditioner tomorrow! I will do an ACV rinse to shut down the cuticle and in a week or so, will do a protein DT.
    Your low poo sounds harsh. Your hair looks great though. I look forward to your completed report.

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Sorry I'm so late posting my completed assessment!

I cowashed last sunday and had a good look at the rinse water to see how much colour leaching there was. Hardly any! Yay! After rinsing out my conditioner (left on for 15 mins) I did an ACV rinse to shut down cuticle. Applied the usual leave-ins and stylers etc and dried - as per usual way.

My hair appears in fine fettle! Feels soft and well moisturised and no damage observed. Have added a couple of pics to my flickr.

I will do a protein DT at the weekend (which I always do around 10 days or so after colour).

Sorry I'm so late posting my completed assessment!

I cowashed last sunday and had a good look at the rinse water to see how much colour leaching there was. Hardly any! Yay! After rinsing out my conditioner (left on for 15 mins) I did an ACV rinse to shut down cuticle. Applied the usual leave-ins and stylers etc and dried - as per usual way.

My hair appears in fine fettle! Feels soft and well moisturised and no damage observed. Have added a couple of pics to my flickr.

I will do a protein DT at the weekend (which I always do around 10 days or so after colour).

No apology is neccessary re the timing of your completed report. I would much rather you be comfortable with your damage assessment.

I am so very pleased that you are so pleased with the results both with the colour and the condition of your hair. I will add your report to Reports Post II. ETA: Done.
    Last edited by ktani; December 11th, 2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: ETA

This post has been added to Report Post III with the other reports on behalf of her friend, by Themis, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1202.

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Oops - forgot I don't have a signature here on lhc (which is where my flickr link is usually) Here's the link:

Oops - forgot I don't have a signature here on lhc (which is where my flickr link is usually) Here's the link:
    Your hair looks gorgeous! I added your link to the pics, to your report.

Thank you so much!

All Reports Posts are in the first post of this thread, under Reports
    Last edited by ktani; December 11th, 2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: adjust text

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Your hair looks gorgeous! I added your link to the pics, to your report.
    Thanks ktani! Hair has improved hugely since starting the cowash regime - much curlier!