Page 120 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by earthymamawitch View Post
    has anyone experienced where you do the coconut oiling first, let it soak, and then when you go to apply the peroxide or hair color, it beads up on the surface of the hair and runs off like water based substances usually do when added to oil? I'm trying to figure out how to be sure it's actually *soaking in*, that way if no lightening happens i know it's just that it didn't work and not that it wasn't absorbed (in my case I 'm trying to li ghten using 10 or 20 volume peroxide, which there isn't a lot of info on the hairboard)

Jenn
    That has not been reported to date. There have not been any reports of coconut or coconut and argan oils interfering with dye uptake or lightening. There have been an increasing number of reports stating the opposite, better dye uptake and lightening and conditioning results the heavier the oiling with these oils.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

ktani, I actually did a full color application, not a root touch-up, before. I think since it has faded quite a bit, the next one will be as well.

Here's the ingredients of the oil: cold-pressed unrefined sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, shea nut oil, nettle infused oil, sea buckthorn oil, and essential oils of bay, birch, cedarwood, german chamomile, lavender, red thyme, rosemary, sage, tea tree, and yhang-yhang.

I would be nice to have it for yet another purpose, but otherwise I'll stick to the olive oil since coconut has had such poor results for my hair in the past.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    ktani, I actually did a full color application, not a root touch-up, before. I think since it has faded quite a bit, the next one will be as well.

Here's the ingredients of the oil: cold-pressed unrefined sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, shea nut oil, nettle infused oil, sea buckthorn oil, and essential oils of bay, birch, cedarwood, german chamomile, lavender, red thyme, rosemary, sage, tea tree, and yhang-yhang.

I would be nice to have it for yet another purpose, but otherwise I'll stick to the olive oil since coconut has had such poor results for my hair in the past.
    Ah, no problem, I will change that part of the description. ETA: Done

Thank you for the ingredient list. Sunflower oil cannot penetrate hair the same way coconut and argan oils can nor does it have the same chelating abilities. The oil you posted may be great for conditioning but its recipe is not designed for the purpose here and I think it would interfere with dye uptake and lightening.

If you are happy with the olive oil by all means stay with it. The coconut and argan oils are not meant to replace the conditioning oils you like otherwise though. Their use before colouring or bleach is to chelate the iron and copper and help protect hair against damage from free radicals. From the research, both oils can do that more effectively than olive oil and all of the other oils and products I researched as possible alternates.

Evening primrose oil has cautions associated with it.
    "Side Effects and Warnings
    Several reports describe seizures in individuals taking evening primrose oil (EPO). Some of these seizures developed in people with a previous seizure disorder, or in individuals taking EPO in combination with anesthetics. Based on these reports, people with seizure disorders should not take EPO. EPO should be used cautiously with drugs used to treat mental illness such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine&#174, thioridazine (Mellaril&#174, trifluoperazine (Stelazine&#174, or fluphenazine (Prolixin&#174, due to an increased risk of seizure. Patients who plan to undergo surgery requiring anesthesia should stop taking EPO two weeks ahead of time because of the possibility of seizure."
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...se.html#Safety

and should not be used in quantity
    "If you choose to take evening primrose, use it as directed on the package or as directed by your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare provider. Do not use more of evening primrose than is recommended on the label."
    http://www.drugs.com/mtm/evening-primrose.html

"Adverse Reactions
    Reported: Headache, GI upset, nausea, and increased risk of pregnancy complications"
    http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/6921...alConstituents
    Last edited by ktani; November 13th, 2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: addded links and text

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I'll definitely stick with the olive oil then, and keep my mixture for deep treats Thanks!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    I'll definitely stick with the olive oil then, and keep my mixture for deep treats Thanks!
    My pleasure!

You may want to try straight, pure argan oil or cococonut oil and argan oil just to pre-treat before colouring and only for that if olive oil does not give you the same results with repeated use or with other hair colour.

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Finally tried out the pre-colour coconut oil! I was still unable to acquire Argan so just coconut oil used.

Had my roots touched-up and a few lowlights applied (t section only) by my colourist yesterday. The night before, I low pooed with Giovanni 50/50 to remove any styling products etc and air dried. I applied 12 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil - in sections from root to tip - I did work the oil well into the root area as there are a lot of greys that need need to be covered and I wanted to make sure they were saturated. I really needed to know that the oil will not inhibit dye uptake - LOL!

In the morning, my hair was still coated with the oil (I'm sure some of it had penetrated but there was still a heavy coating). Two hours before my appointment, I applied 2 more teaspoons of coconut oil - focussing on the roots (especially around my parting and front as this is where I have a lot of greys) and canopy.

I asked my colourist what he uses and he has given me the following info:

Root regrowth application: Wella Colourtouch (ammonia free - this is a semi permanent colour) - 1/2 tube 7/0 plus 1/2 tube 7/1 plus 4% lotion.
    Lo lights: Wella Koleston Perfect - 7/17 plus 6% H202.

I hope the above makes sense - I'm not too clear myself!

Anyway I am pleased to report that the coconut oil did not effect dye uptake in the slightest! My colourist and stylist were amazed! My colourist was expecting to re-do!

My colour was cowashed out in the salon (no shampoo) with my own conditioner. I asked the person doing this to note whether there was any difference in the amount of colour rinsed away. She reported that there was no difference here. However, my colourist said I would be better able to assess this when I next cowash (72 hours after colour) as during the first rinse after colour there will always be colour loss.

With regard to condition/damage - it is difficult for me to assess at this point. My hair always feels dry and tangly after colour (and it felt/feels just as dry and tangly as always). There are other factors involved in how my hair feels also - I used a low poo on my hair prior to coconut oil (I am on a CG routine so do not use shampoo of any kind ordinarily). After the low poo - my hair felt disgusting and I couldn't use conditioner on it because of the research. So, after I cowash on Sunday - I will perform a self assessment. However, my colourist did say he was pleased and surprised by the result and so am I!

Pic of hair post colour in my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

This is off-topic, but your hair is AMAZING, CrystalTips! Are the curls natural? If so, you are truly blessed. If not, please tell me how to get them!

Back on topic, my friend who has been using coconut oil prior to intensely bleaching her hair in order to dye it fun and funky shades (pink, blue, green, orange, etc.) finally reached the end of the line. She has bleached her hair repeatedly (probably 8 times in the past three months), and her hair is now so fine that she is worried it might begin breaking off (which is a risk she knew she was taking).

She has used coconut oil as a pre-treatment every time, but she didn't do overnight soaks - just applied it before bleaching. Obviously her bleaching regimen was very extreme (and overnight coconut soaks might have been more effective), but apparently there was cumulative damage from repeat bleachings, even with the coconut oil pre-treatments.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

CrystalTips--
    Gotta hijack here to comment on those curls, too! Fabulous! Looking at your curls made me want to cut my hair!
    Have you been to the CurlyWurly thread? We need you over there!

End of hijack!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    This is off-topic, but your hair is AMAZING, CrystalTips! Are the curls natural? If so, you are truly blessed. If not, please tell me how to get them!
    Well thank you so much, Themis! Yes, they are natural - and I am now on a 'Curly Girl' regime: no sulphates or silicones! I think it looks and feels much better than pre CG But I still need to colour to cover all the greys! LOL

Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    CrystalTips--
    Gotta hijack here to comment on those curls, too! Fabulous! Looking at your curls made me want to cut my hair!
    Have you been to the CurlyWurly thread? We need you over there!

End of hijack!
    Thank you, girlcat36! I v flattered . Don't go cutting your beautiful hair! I have not visited the CurlyWurly thread - thanks so much for the heads up! Will def go and pay and visit