Page 107 of 141 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    OK, heavy oiling last night, roots to tip, left in overnight. Colored this morning, same brand, same shade (Hydrience #3RR, Intense Deep Red). Left on 25 min.

Results? Hair soft, shiny, silky. VERY RED. Seems a little more intense than usual, but will ask fiancee tonight just to be sure.

Roots

Side

Back

How's that for dye uptake? WOW. The sticky-out ends are layers....
    WOW!!!!!!!! That is truly vibrant colour. And shine and it looks silky.

If you want to assess damage, and report on that at a later date, like others who I put in a Pending File I created, for that purpose, no problem. Just let me know and I will delay posting this report, as #35.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

No, you can go ahead and post my results now. I see or feel no damage. And like I said previously, my hair was always the driest and most fragile immediately following a dye job. So, if there were any damage, I would know it now.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

No, you can go ahead and post my results now. I see or feel no damage. And like I said previously, my hair was always the driest and most fragile immediately following a dye job. So, if there were any damage, I would know it now.
    That is good enough for me. No one knows their hair better than one's self. Thank you!
    Last edited by ktani; August 8th, 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    That is good enough for me. No one knows their hair better than one's self. Thank you!

Exactly. No two people's hair is identical, and that is why each person's results are important, I think.

After as many times as I have dyed my hair without oiling, and then with oiling, I can definitely tell the difference immediately following the session.

SOME people's hair may feel good immediately following coloring, but mine never has. Mine always felt like CRAP right after dying....the intensity of how crappy it felt would depend on the brand of dye, and its harshness. Hydrience caused the least nastiness, but still dry and nasty nonetheless. The dry and nasty feeling would diminish over time, with the help of heavy deep conditioning. If I couldn't get it to rebound after a week or two, I would go have a trim (usually 1-2 inches). Oiling after a coloring (without the pre-oiling) DID help it rebound quicker than using no oil at all. BUT, I still had to have a small trim in the first few days following my coloring.

Since beginning to pre-oil, I have not had to have a trim to take off damage. And, I have colored 3 times in 2009 (this is my fourth). My only trims have been SMALL, in order to re-shape my hemline. And I think that there have only been two of those.....
    Last edited by Dolly; August 8th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Exactly. No two people's hair is identical, and that is why each person's results are important, I think.

After as many times as I have dyed my hair without oiling, and then with oiling, I can definitely tell the difference immediately following the session.

SOME people's hair may feel good immediately following coloring, but mine never has. Mine always felt like CRAP right after dying....the intensity of how crappy it felt would depend on the brand of dye, and its harshness. Hydrience caused the least nastiness, but still dry and nasty nonetheless. The dry and nasty feeling would diminish over time, with the help of heavy deep conditioning. If I couldn't get it to rebound after a week or two, I would go have a trim (usually 1-2 inches). Oiling after a coloring (without the pre-oiling) DID help it rebound quicker than using no oil at all. BUT, I still had to have a small trim in the first few days following my coloring.

Since beginning to pre-oil, I have not had to have a trim to take off damage. And, I have colored 3 times in 2009 (this is my fourth). My only trims have been SMALL, in order to re-shape my hemline. And I think that there have only been two of those.....
    Your clarifying this even further is extremely helpful to others, in my opinion. Thank you again!

I was looking at your beautiful waist length hair in awe of how gorgeous and healthy it looks, regardless of the fact that you use conventional dye to colour it.

I count 3 times that you have used a heavy oiling, Report #'s 18, 26 and now 35, all consistant in terms of great dye uptake and no damage reported. Report #7 , was with a less heavy oiling and there was some dryness but still no reported damage. It may be that with your last 2 reports, you used even more coconut oil, if the difference in colour vibrancy is being noticed more recently.

ETA: I just added this last post of yours to your results in Report #35, only because I ran out of room in Reports Post I, lol. It really belongs as part of your Report #26.

I do not use conventional dye on my hair. I stain my grey/white hair with catnip tea but I am getting the same pleasure as you are, trimming my own hair now for length, not a damage taper because catnip for me, conditions so well.

It is also comforting to me, through the reports in this thread so far, to know that if I do decide to use conventional dye at some point, I know what to do now, to help prevent damage from conventional chemicals.

Catnip has been reported to work well on conventionally dyed hair and may help strengthen it in between colourings but I cannot speak to that for myself.
    Last edited by ktani; August 8th, 2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added link

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Your clarifying this even further is extremely helpful to others, in my opinion. Thank you again!

I was looking at your beautiful waist length hair in awe of how gorgeous and healthy it looks, regardless of the fact that you use conventional dye to colour it.

I count 3 times that you have used a heavy oiling, Report #'s 18, 26 and now 35, all consistant in terms of great dye uptake and no damage reported. Report #7 , was with a less heavy oiling and there was some dryness but still no reported damage. It may be that with your last 2 reports, you used even more coconut oil, if the difference in colour vibrancy is being noticed more recently.
    In an effort to be thorough, I was re-reading my reports on this thread, and I realized that I was not clear on my first report (#7). I had stated that Hydrience did not usually cause much visible damage to my hair. What I SHOULD HAVE SAID is that my hair never did appear fried, split, or brittle, but I could FEEL the dryness from the ears down. It would usually recover with deep conditioner soaks, and if it didn't, I would trim. This was much LESS of an issue than I had with other brands (including salon color).....I ended up with some pretty messed up hair sometimes! I just kind of got used to the fact that, even with Hydrience, my hair was going to feel nasty for a while after coloring.....that is one reason I tried stretching the time between them as far as I could.

I am clarifying my reports also to confirm that my first oiling report (#7) was a lighter pre-oil, and there was no VISIBLE damage, but a little dryness (maybe the last 1-2 inches of the ends), which I could feel, but not see (no fried or brittle appearance). A couple of post-coloring heavy oil soaks remedied that. With the three subsequent heavy pre-oils, there has been NO post-coloring dryness or damage.

Thank you Dolly, for clarifying Report #7 further. At the time, that was what I believed you were saying, no apparent damage.

A number of people have reported some dryness as well but no apparent damage either and with their hair also recovering from any dryness much faster after colouring with the pre-treatment, than by not doing a pre-treatment.

Dryness does not always equate damage. It can but it is a matter of degree, how long it lasts, the cause, and what other signs can accompany it, like split ends or breakage.

No one has come back to post: that they were mistaken in any of their reports, that there was some damage following the pre-treatment(s), to change or qualify their no damage report(s) status. No one.
    Last edited by ktani; August 8th, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Gleam is great at preventing damage when coloring or bleaching hair. i've used it and can honestly say it works!

Quote Originally Posted by ademtce View Post
    Gleam is great at preventing damage when coloring or bleaching hair. i've used it and can honestly say it works!
    I am pleased for you that it has worked so well. I researched all of the oils in it, a while back. None of the others have the chelating abilities of coconut oil and it is 25% agan oil.

I think that it is better to use coconut oil or coconut and argan oils. Not only is it cheaper to do so, I think that it is more effective to do so. A great source for pure, organic, reasonably priced, argan oil.

T-50 is a preservative. "Amber essential oil" is there for fragrance.

".... For the record, there is no such thing as amber essential oil. Essential oils are pure plant oils which are distilled or otherwise extracted from a single plant species. ...."
    http://www.edenbotanicals.com/about_amber_oil.html

All I am saying, is that with the amount of conventional chemicals I would be using if I conventionally coloured or lightened my hair, I would rather use the most effective oils in my opinion, the least expensive way, and with the least amount of additives or processing.

Most fractionated coconut oil, if I were to try that, is dry processed or vacuum distilled.
    Last edited by ktani; August 9th, 2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

yea for me Gleam is more about prevent the dry tangled feeling you get from certain dyes, not necessarily about preventing damage. but ill certainly give Coconut Oil a shot next time i do a process.
    i looked a few stores today and could not find argan oil anywhere