Page 106 of 141 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

An observation about argan oil, based on reports

Looking at all of girlcat36's reported results, this last report, #24, of only 3 hours for a pre-treatment but using argan oil with coconut oil (a layer of argan oil on top of coconut oil), as opposed to just a coconut oil overnight pre-treatment, seems to have yielded the least amount of post colouring frizz.

6. girlcat36, - "I have only a little bit of frizz"

16. girlcat36, - coconut oil before conventional hair colour but only 10 minutes before the colour - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=612, on the condition of her hair - "I rinsed (but still, better than with no coconut oil), and was a tad frizzy when drying (somewhat normal for me)."

22. girlcat36, coconut and argan oils, with the argan oil only left on the hair for a few minutes - "My hair seemed frizzy as it dried, but now it is dry and it looks okay. Frizz has always been the norm for me even before I ever used color."- Pictures and more details - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=846, More method details - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=851, The condition of her hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=853

24. girlcat36, coconut and argan oils, used as a pretreatment on roots only, for 3 hours - "My hair dried with very little frizz ...."

This is an indication to me, that the use of argan oil, added to a coconut oil pre-treatment can make a significant positive difference to results. From the research I have read, I believe that argan oil chelates more copper than coconut oil alone. It will be most interesting to see if other reported results support an increased benefit from using both oils together.

Possible use of coconut oil, under a sunscreen, and on the hair, to help protect skin and hair from UV damage

I wonder, based on this post , if using coconut oil, under a sunscreen on the skin (allowed to absorb into the skin for some time first), and on the hair (also allowed to absorb into the hair for some time, prior to sun exposure), may help prevent free radical damage from sunlight, to both hair and skin. Coconut oil chelates free iron.

One would still need to cover up and avoid too much sun. Sunscreens do not replace common sense but I wonder. Argan oil can make one sun sensitive, used on the skin this way but not coconut oil.

From the P&G research, chemical chelants can be used a number of ways. One of them is as a pretreatment before the hair is exposed to conventional chemical lighteners (peroxide/bleach). Adding them to a peroxide/bleach formulation requires exact calculation that I think, is best left to professionals.

Based on LHC reports, using coconut or coconut and argan oils on the hair for too short a time prior to conventional colouring or lightening, did not yield results that were as good as leaving the oils on the hair longer.

If one wants to use a bit of coconut oil on the skin, under a sunscreen, or on the hair, I think that applying the oil first and letting it absorb for at least 20 minutes is a good idea. I use Ombrelle SPF 30 Extreme Sunblock, which states on the label, that it is to be applied 15 - 30 minutes before sun exposure. There is something about pretreatment and timing, using protective substances that IMO, should not be ignored.

A report that coconut oil may be helpful to help protect hair from sun damage.

How much club soda to use as a rinse after swimming

A simple way of figuring out how much club soda to use as a rinse after swimming is this.

Ask yourself this question. Is the amount of club soda you are planning to use, enough to rinse most of a shampoo out of your hair? If the answer is no, then it is not enough.

Cub soda is not a treatment. It is a rinse. The idea is to remove chorine from the hair the same way one would remove shampoo, that is also not desirable to be left in the hair. Rinsing out the club soda with water is the final step but the first step is to remove the chorine, with the club soda, which can be left on the hair for a few minutes, prior to being rinsed off with water.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Another thought.

This could mean, that a coconut oil pre-treatment may help any conventional hair colour, even those without peroxide in them, have an increased dye uptake.

Actually, I thought it was just MY imagination, but I was thinking that my intense deep red was a tad bit MORE intense after my last couple of colorings where I used a pre-coloring coconut oiling. Recently, I have been told by friends who see me often, that indeed, my last two colorings, have resulted in a brighter, more vibrant color. They thought I had simply changed brands or shades. However, no other changes were made in my process or brand of dye used. The only change was the coconut oil.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Actually, I thought it was just MY imagination, but I was thinking that my intense deep red was a tad bit MORE intense after my last couple of colorings where I used a pre-coloring coconut oiling. Recently, I have been told by friends who see me often, that indeed, my last two colorings, have resulted in a brighter, more vibrant color. They thought I had simply changed brands or shades. However, no other changes were made in my process or brand of dye used. The only change was the coconut oil.
    Very cool! Thank you so much for reporting that. ETA: I added your post to your reports. Feedback from those around us in real life, on things like hair colour, can be most helpful. I just went back to your reports. You did 3 reports, #'s 7, 18 and 26. The difference in the last 2, was the amount of coconut oil you used. You used more oil in the last 2 reports and reported no post dye dryness.

I had never stopped until the comment you quoted, to try and work out why there were reports of increased dye uptake. My explanation makes sense to me. But it is my explanation, lol.
    Last edited by ktani; August 7th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    With these 34 people, was this their first color? Is this directly after coloring? All their claims are common for after coloring hair. Damage from coloring hair is over months to years, not directly after. This is why I would be more apt to suggest someone trying to oil AFTER a color the next time to see if there are any differences.

What is the time span on these comments? I don't have time to wade through the multiple links. It would be easier if you did direct answers.

I will answer as per my experiences. I have been coloring my hair every 4-8 weeks, for about 6 years or so. My first 2-3 colorings in 2003 were semi permanent, then I went to demi permanent, but in 2005, I went to permanant dyes only.

I did have a lot of damage prior to joining LHC, which was always cut off in my 6 month trims (so, I never made any real growth progress). Damage was on the ends due to dryness, rough handling on my part, and also because some different brands of dye were harsher. When I decided to grow, I decided to stick with Hydrience, which appeared to be much less damaging. My hair was, however, always dried out right after coloring, no matter which brand I used (and I think I tried about all of the reds out there, even having it done a couple of times at the salon). It may be partly because of my hair type, which is fine, thin, straight, and fragile.

In 2008 I started doing a heavy oiling 1-2 nights a week. It did improve the condition of my hair overall, because my hair has always been dry. After a dye session, it was noticeably worse. It would usually take a week of heavy oilings to get it "back in shape".

I did not start pre-coloring oilings until Jan 2009. It really DOES make a difference in the condition of my hair after the color, both immediately and over time. Oh, I still oil at least 1-2 times a week to keep my hair in top notch condition. But, as a matter of fact, yesterday I went to my stylist for a hemline trim.....not because of damage though....my "U" had grown into a sharp "V", and I wanted it re-shaped, but that is not the point of the story....ANYWAY, my hairdresser said that had she not known better, she would think that I am not a commercial dye user. She and the other stylists were just feeling my hair in amazement, talking about how most commercial dye users have at least SOME dryness, but that mine was just soft and silky.....even the ends that I had the stylist trim were soft and smooth.

I hope I answered your questions!

I am off to rinse out the dye that I have on my hair at this very moment....I will post back this evening about condition and also dye uptake....my fiancee is coming over this evening, and I will ask him what he thinks about the intensity....

I have been coloring my hair every 4-8 weeks, for about 6 years or so. My first 2-3 colorings in 2003 were semi permanent, then I went to demi permanent, but in 2005, I went to permanant dyes only.

I did have a lot of damage prior to joining LHC, which was always cut off in my 6 month trims (so, I never made any real growth progress). Damage was on the ends due to dryness, rough handling on my part, and also because some different brands of dye were harsher. When I decided to grow, I decided to stick with Hydrience, which appeared to be much less damaging. My hair was, however, always dried out right after coloring, no matter which brand I used (and I think I tried about all of the reds out there, even having it done a couple of times at the salon). It may be partly because of my hair type, which is fine, thin, straight, and fragile.

In 2008 I started doing a heavy oiling 1-2 nights a week. It did improve the condition of my hair overall, because my hair has always been dry. After a dye session, it was noticeably worse. It would usually take a week of heavy oilings to get it "back in shape".

I did not start pre-coloring oilings until Jan 2009. It really DOES make a difference in the condition of my hair after the color, both immediately and over time. Oh, I still oil at least 1-2 times a week to keep my hair in top notch condition. But, as a matter of fact, yesterday I went to my stylist for a hemline trim.....not because of damage though....my "U" had grown into a sharp "V", and I wanted it re-shaped, but that is not the point of the story....ANYWAY, my hairdresser said that had she not known better, she would think that I am not a commercial dye user. She and the other stylists were just feeling my hair in amazement, talking about how most commercial dye users have at least SOME dryness, but that mine was just soft and silky.....even the ends that I had the stylist trim were soft and smooth.

I hope I answered your questions!

I am off to rinse out the dye that I have on my hair at this very moment....I will post back this evening about condition and also dye uptake....my fiancee is coming over this evening, and I will ask him what he thinks about the intensity....
    WOW Dolly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for such a thorough and detailed report.

I have no doubt that this will be of interest to others, who may be considering doing a pre-oiling of coconut oil or coconut and argan oils, to help prevent damage and dryness, before their next conventional hair colouring or lightening.

I will add this post to your reports, as well.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    WOW Dolly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for such a thorough and detailed report.

I have no doubt that this will be of interest to others, who may be considering doing a pre-oiling of coconut oil or coconut and argan oils, to help prevent damage and dryness, before their next conventional hair colouring or lightening.

I will add this post to your reports, as well.

You're very welcome! I think that this testing and reporting is of great value to people like me who wish to use commercial dye, but do not want to trash their hair in the process. Thank you for starting this thread! Otherwise, I never would have been spurred on to try it. My hair thanks you too!

You're very welcome! I think that this testing and reporting is of great value to people like me who wish to use commercial dye, but do not want to trash their hair in the process. Thank you for starting this thread! Otherwise, I never would have been spurred on to try it. My hair thanks you too!
    You and you hair are most welcome!

When I started this thread it was a theory that needed testing. Then it became a matter of figuring out how to interpret the actual reports that were coming in. I decided to separate those from any strand test results that may be posted. Strand test results are not the same thing to me, because most people do not apply the exact processes in testing on strands (shed hair), that they do to hair on their heads, in terms of: method, product measurement, or timing, and especially if one is not familiar with using certain conventional chemicals previously, judging proportions.

I had no idea what the reports or any posts would actually be or say (even though pms would sometimes give me some details). For obvious reasons, I still do not know in advance what a post will say. I am thrilled for those who have reported, and that their results have been so positive.

I also had no idea how increasing the amount of coconut and argan oils used, would affect results, and to eveyone's surprise, including mine, results only got better, as per reports.

Keeping track of the reports, lets me see patterns in results, that others miss, because they are reporting only their own results. I do the same thing in the Honey thread, and it is the reports that are often the reason I update recommendations there. The Honey thread reports made me realize the value of keeping track of reported results.

I am enjoying this journey of reading and interpreting the reasearch, gathering information, making recommendations and reporting on the reports, lol, immensely.
    Last edited by ktani; August 16th, 2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

OK, heavy oiling last night, roots to tip, left in overnight. Colored this morning, same brand, same shade (Hydrience #3RR, Intense Deep Red). Left on 25 min.

Results? Hair soft, shiny, silky. VERY RED. Seems a little more intense than usual, but will ask fiancee tonight just to be sure.

Roots

Side

Back

How's that for dye uptake? WOW. The sticky-out ends are layers....
    Last edited by Dolly; August 8th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.