Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Amish observations

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Amish observations

An interesting website on the Amish, http://amishbuggy.tripod.com/amlinks.htm

An interesting link from that site on frequently asked questions about the Amish, http://www.800padutch.com/atafaq.shtml

I do not know how accurate the information is but it looks to me that it is legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    Ok, here's my explanation in how to do this.

Divide hair into two sections, as if you are making two braids.

From here, you will divide the sections into 3. Braid the first section at the top (secure if you need). Start a second braid with the second section and braid in the braid you just did. Secure if you need. Third section, same. Secure. Do on the other side. Then, take the length and pull it into the opposite side 'hole' that the joining braids make. Pull them tight, and loop as required. Tie off with ribbon or yarn.

I've found you can do this with 2 braid section after diving the hair, instead of three.

I'll see if I can do this with a paint demonstration.
    Honestly.. you lost me at the Braid the first section at the top

What top? You have two tails side by side that you braid?

Length
    BLS/class/tigh
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ok, here's my explanation in how to do this.

Divide hair into two sections, as if you are making two braids.

From here, you will divide the sections into 3. Braid the first section at the top (secure if you need). Start a second braid with the second section and braid in the braid you just did. Secure if you need. Third section, same. Secure. Do on the other side. Then, take the length and pull it into the opposite side 'hole' that the joining braids make. Pull them tight, and loop as required. Tie off with ribbon or yarn.

I've found you can do this with 2 braid section after diving the hair, instead of three.

I'll see if I can do this with a paint demonstration.
    After reading it a few times I get it.
    Now I have to find the time to try it out.

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I tried the hairstyle out and failed miserably. I think I'm going to have to wait for a visual demonstration.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    26"/38"/Clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I tried to do this braid on myself today and took some pictures. My DH also took pics while Sarah was braiding me, but she did it so quickly, he couldn’t really get very helpful pictures. She, obviously, did a much better job than I did, having lots more practice, and not trying to do it on her own head. But anyway, I hope these pictures and explanations will help those who are still having trouble visualizing it.

Your hair will be divided into 6 vertical sections, 3 on each side. Start the front sections as a French braid for about an inch, then finish it off as a regular braid, angling the whole thing toward the back. (ets: She re-did my braid today, and did NOT French Braid the top. She pulled it up REALLY tight. It could probably be done either way, though).

Braid the middle section, using the front braid as one of the 3 sections, again angling to the back.

Braid the back section, using the completed braid as one of the 3 sections, again angling to the back.

Repeat the process on the other side of the head.

Cross the braids in the back and pull them up to the sides.

Pull the braid through the loop made where the first and second sections are brought together. Pull up tightly.

Cross the ends over the top of the head, and loop them through the same space (from the outside in) until your ends meet, or reach the length you want.

My final style is completed by tying yarn on the ends of the braids and tying them together in the middle. When I tried it today, I crossed the braids across the top once, then tucked them down behind the braids along the side. You could use clips or pins to hold it in place there.

Last edited by MusicLady; August 8th, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: change instructions

Length
    20/23/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BlndeInDisguise View Post
    Actually, they start wearing coverings when they're just little babies. Some of the young girls might go around home without a covering on, but for the most part I think they wear a covering.
    I just knew I had seen pictures where the younger girls have their hair down in braids, or maybe when I lived in PA I had seen some young girls with their hair down in braids. But it has been like 13 years since I lived in PA too

Length
    20/23/?
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I may actually be thinking of the Mennonites. I know they are less strict than Amish

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ammorgan View Post
    I just knew I had seen pictures where the younger girls have their hair down in braids, or maybe when I lived in PA I had seen some young girls with their hair down in braids. But it has been like 13 years since I lived in PA too
    I've visited Amish communities in Kalona IA and Shipshwanna and Goshen Indiana. I don't recall the very young girls wearing a head covering unless it was a bonnet. I think most of the young girls had their hair in 2 braids. I've seen adult women working in their gardens with triangle head scarves on their heads instead of the organdy bun cover. That made sense to me. Their head and hair were still covered in public or outside the home but the cotton triangles would be easy to wash and would keep their hair clean to a degree. All this is going to vary from area to area and church to church.

I am not here to decorate your world

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    All this is going to vary from area to area and church to church.
    Bingo!

You really wouldn't believe how many sects of Plain people there are - Mennonite and Amish.

My husband used to be Plain Mennonite (family still is) and my BIL is in the process of becoming Amish - between what they and the other Mennonites and Amish people say, there is no unanimous voice on a lot of things.

Length
    20 ?/clasi/knee
    Type
    1b/F/i

Could it also be that the Amish work outdoors and harvest many crops in sunlight etc. So, I would venture to guess ends get dried out, even in braids.

It's wonderful you had that experience though!

Now, if I can just figure out that style!!
    Not necesarily, I was Grapepicking/trimming/pruning. In the harsh Australian weather. And didn't get much damage. Even with really sticky vine juice all over me......... Yuck !