Page 104 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Interesting Article with references, disagreeing with using a conditioner to protect hair pre-swimming but supporting using coconut oil as a pre-swim method, although again, that can contribute to polluting pool water. It also has some interesting information on the way chlorine damages hair.

I agree, conditioners are water soluble and contain a fair amount of water, from 50 to 90 % (it varies from sources I have read, because of different kinds of conditioners. Some are light and some are heavier, treatment conditioners.

This was a quick search. The question came up about hair and salt water swimming pools in a thread, but I do not remember which thread, and I prefer to reply to that here, in any case, where I can keep track of the research I do on the subject, more easily.

There is still chlorine in a salt water swimming pool. I think that club soda would be helpful for dealing with swimming in salt water pools too, both to help remove residue and chlorine.

Salt water swimming pools

Problems with salt water swimming pools

Salt water swimming pools banned

Salt water swimming pools and hair

Bleach reports

4. Bianca, - bleach and then conventional colour on hennaed hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=111, her thread - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=16279

14. & 15 ChicO, - bleach and conventional hair colour, on 2/3 1 yr old henna and conventional colour, 1 pretreatment with coconut oil, 1 with jojoba oil - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=547

17. ChicO, - bleach and conventional colour, on 2/3 1 yr old henna and conventional colour, coconut and argan oils with 1 drop of hemp oil - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=632, Details on the Soap Cap - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=636, Pictures and more details on her hair condition - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=643, More details on the condition of her hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=645, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=647

31. GlassEyes, 50 minutes of bleach on 2 strands of hennaed, dark hair, initial report
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1074, his pm, posted with permission, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1079, final report, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1090, his thread, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=28662

A report of using coconut oil as a pre-treatment, before conventional colour, over previously bleach damaged hair.
    "I have also been using coconut oil before coloring. I have been doing it for a while now. Im not sure if anyone remembers my color mishap with bleach. I have been using coconut oil before coloring ever since I returned to my natural color (well what I think it is any way).
    I continued to color over breaking hair and it didnt cause any more damage at all to it. In fact I was able to continue coloring during the process of restoring my hair by using coconut oil. I never put it on my roots though because I was afraid it might effect the coloring on my greys. I could tell a difference in the hair that didnt have coconut oil on it after rinsing out the color. The root hair was more matted and drier feeling then the bottom hair that had coconut oil applied to it."
    missy60, Report #3

An observation about argan oil, based on reports.

Bleach Research

P&G research that led to argan oil use

Argan oil research

Reports on club soda, used as a rinse after swimming in either a pool or sea water and/or as a pre-soak, before swimming. Note: Even though club soda has not been reported to be drying to hair, I suggest following up a club soda rinse after swimming, with coconut oil or coconut and argan oils, to chelate out any copper in the hair, and condition the hair.

1. Madame J, club soda rinse, with no shampoo to follow, after swimming, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...7&postcount=11, amount used - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...47&postcount=3

Resistant (to conventional hair dye) grey hair

Here are reviews for Clairol Nice n Easy Gray Solution, only they are not all nice and it wasn't that easy for everyone who tried it. This hair colour is specifically aimed at grey coverage. It looks like the professional answers to grey hair that is resistant to conventional hair colour are still to come. I think, that there are easier (and possibly more cost effective), more hair friendly ways to deal with such hair to start with, before trying more aggressive methods. Clarify the hair in advance of chemically colouring it, and do not use conditioner afterward except coconut or coconut and argan oils. Do not use a conventional hair colour preconditioner at the time of colouring. Use more coconut oil, or coconut and argan oils as a pretreatment, and see if all of that, makes a difference. The fact that certain types of hair react differently to conventional hair colour and lightening chemicals, IMO, supports trying a different approach first, before trying the conventional methods suggested.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I have 1 question.

Are you a chemist? What are the lasting results? Meaning going on years, rather than 1 or 2 tries. Remember, science takes a while to show results due to needing time for proof.

Thalidimie was a great drug for women who were nauseated when pregnant. Time showed that the birth defects outweighed that pro.

Science is not exact, and certainly isn't quick. Quick results make me leary. Long lasting results are what counts.

I don't want to be negative, but I would venture to guess using oils after a coloring would be more beneficial, and I have done that (though I do no not use peroxide due to allergies).

The whole purpose of coloring with peroxide/amonia is to open the hair shaft to penetrate the cuticle. That is the difference between peroxide/amonia/permanent colors vs semi-permanent colors, that just lay on the hair strand. (this is why they eventually wash away --semi permanents)

If people here have found that this works for them, that is wonderful, but I have to say that I see a lot of words, but little results. Results take time, and 33/34 is no where near enough. Did anyone do colorings without oiling? What is their results? Same hair type? Same climate? Same age? Same type of hair before coloring? (ie virigin, hennaed, dyed)
    What is their ethnicity? Health background.

Many more variables to consider than just 1 or 2 things.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Method of application for coconut and argan oils used as a pretreatment before conventional hair colouring or lightening

Prior to the pretreatment, the hair should not be conditioned with conventional conditioners, other oils, butters (jojoba oil and shea butter were reported to interfere with colour and lightening results), or have coatings, build-up, or residue on it. The idea is to have the preoiling absorb into the hair as much as possible.

A light oiling with coconut oil or coconut and argan oils, can be applied to freshly washed hair, to condition it, and more applied at least 1 hour in advance of when one is ready to colour or lighten. The full preoiling can be applied from the roots to the tips of the hair, it has been reported, without concern of it interfering with dye uptake, even on grey hair. Coconut oil has been reported to help conventional hair colour cover grey hair better, than not using it.

The hair colour/peroxide/bleach is applied directly over the preoil(s). The preoilng replaces any preconditioner, that comes with at home conventional hair colour and has been reported to be more effective, for both conditioning and colour results.

Letting the oil(s) sit on the hair for some time in advance of the colouring or lightening process is important, to saturate the hair and let the oil(s) be absorbed. 1 hour is the minimum time, up to overnight, which some people prefer and for use with some processes like bleach or continuous lightening may be the best option.

Heavier oilings have not been reported to interfere with conventional hair colour dye uptake or conventional lightening, as long as either coconut oil or coconut and argan oils are used. Other oils, or butters, can cause problems in both areas (they can leave a coating on the hair).

A heavy coconut oiling, has been reported to eliminate after conventional hair colouring dryness of the hair, while still not interfering with dye uptake.

Most importantly, both coconut and coconut and argan oils, used as a pretreatment, have been reported to help prevent hair damage. No damage has been reported after conventionl hair colouring or lightening, when these oils have been used. Coconut oil used as a pretreatment, has been reported to help protect already damaged hair, from any further damage, by conventional hair colouring. The purpose of using these oils, is to chelate the free iron and copper, that cause free radical damage during these processes. Conditioning benefits are a bonus. Both of these oils can deliver that too and have been reported to do so, without any other added oil, being necessary.

Current Pending File
    1. Nat242
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1055

Nat242 an update please. If you require more time, no problem.
    Last edited by ktani; August 2nd, 2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Current Pending File
    1. Nat242
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1055

Nat242 an update please. If you require more time, no problem.
    Sorry Ktani (and anyone who has been waiting with bated breath on my progress)!

This was my basic treatment routine - I did this three times over a week or so. I would recommend leaving longer between treatments than I did; I was going away and was a bit impatient.

1. Wash hair with diluted shampoo
    2. Thoroughly coat hair in coconut oil, leave to sink in 5 hours (I didn't leave it on this long in my first treatment, but I followed Ktani's suggestion and left it in a fair bit longer. When I do this again, I will leave the coconut oil in for a minimum of 5 hours).
    3. Spray hair with 10vol hydrogen peroxide.
    4. Pin up, leave for one hour.
    5. Rinse hair thoroughly, wash with diluted shampoo.
    6. Coat length with cone free conditioner
    7. Rinse

This process lightened my hair a little, enough for my cassia + henna hair dye to take hold and be bright. People are describing my hair as "red" again, which wasn't happening until I lightened it a little. So in that sense, I achieved the colour change I desired.

I've noticed absolutely no damage; no change to the condition of my hair at all. HOWEVER - I did not apply peroxide to the last few inches of my hair, which are quite fragile. I don't know what the effect of coconut oil + H202 would be on fragile hair, I only know that I noticed no damage on the healthy and strong sections of my hair.

When it's time for me to touch up my roots with henna + cassia, I will definitely lighten my roots beforehand using this same process. It was very successful for me.

Ktani - please take me out of the 'pending' file and place me in the 'no damage' file! Many thanks for all your guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    Sorry Ktani (and anyone who has been waiting with bated breath on my progress)!

This was my basic treatment routine - I did this three times over a week or so. I would recommend leaving longer between treatments than I did; I was going away and was a bit impatient.

1. Wash hair with diluted shampoo
    2. Thoroughly coat hair in coconut oil, leave to sink in 5 hours (I didn't leave it on this long in my first treatment, but I followed Ktani's suggestion and left it in a fair bit longer. When I do this again, I will leave the coconut oil in for a minimum of 5 hours).
    3. Spray hair with 10vol hydrogen peroxide.
    4. Pin up, leave for one hour.
    5. Rinse hair thoroughly, wash with diluted shampoo.
    6. Coat length with cone free conditioner
    7. Rinse

This process lightened my hair a little, enough for my cassia + henna hair dye to take hold and be bright. People are describing my hair as "red" again, which wasn't happening until I lightened it a little. So in that sense, I achieved the colour change I desired.

I've noticed absolutely no damage; no change to the condition of my hair at all. HOWEVER - I did not apply peroxide to the last few inches of my hair, which are quite fragile. I don't know what the effect of coconut oil + H202 would be on fragile hair, I only know that I noticed no damage on the healthy and strong sections of my hair.

When it's time for me to touch up my roots with henna + cassia, I will definitely lighten my roots beforehand using this same process. It was very successful for me.

Ktani - please take me out of the 'pending' file and place me in the 'no damage' file! Many thanks for all your guidance.
    Done, no worries (on my part), and thank you so much for such a thorough report and updating me. I will add this report to the others, with your initial report.

And you are most welcome!
    Last edited by ktani; August 3rd, 2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling