Page 99 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    GlassEyes and Nat242 reportsare both in the Pending File, until they get back to me on results they feel sure of, regarding damage. I have no problem with people taking their time with a report. I prefer to have the reports reflect what people are comfortable with saying on the matter.

So far, I have not had anyone come back saying they noticed damage after a period of time. I would like that to continue.

If there is damage, I would like that reported too.
    Ktani - I'm keeping track of my process and progress in my blog, and once I feel confident of my results either way I'll post here again. I don't want to post a preliminary result that winds up being misleading!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    Ktani - I'm keeping track of my process and progress in my blog, and once I feel confident of my results either way I'll post here again. I don't want to post a preliminary result that winds up being misleading!
    That is totally cool and exactly why I created the Pending File. Take your time.

GlassEyes and I have been pming and he gave me permission to post this verbatim. It does not change his Pending File status. It just a few prelininary observations, I thought were pertinent. I had asked him what he wanted me to do with his report and how long he felt he needed to be sure of the damage situation. He left it up to me and I put his report in the Pending File and posted myself.

GlassEyes PM
    "I'd give it a tentative week.

So far, the cuticle is still smooth, it isn't frizzing, and the ends are still blunt, but that could change. It's also still taking oil, which is a good sign--damaged hair has a hard time taking straight oil without an emollient. Also, it's been washed with ALS three times at this point, and is still fine, but I'd still like to give it a week to REALLY make sure.

But as far as direct-after bleaching results, I can say there's no apparent damage. Which is freaking great. xD;"
    Last edited by ktani; July 5th, 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Resistant (to conventional hair dye) grey hair

Here are reviews for Clairol Nice n Easy Gray Solution, only they are not all nice and it wasn't that easy for everyone who tried it. This hair colour is specifically aimed at grey coverage. It looks like the professional answers to grey hair that is resistant to conventional hair colour are still to come. I think, that there are easier (and possibly more cost effective), more hair friendly ways to deal with such hair to start with, before trying more aggressive methods. Clarify the hair in advance of chemically colouring it, and do not use conditioner afterward except coconut or coconut and argan oils. Do not use a conventional hair colour preconditioner at the time of colouring. Use more coconut oil, or coconut and argan oils as a pretreatment, and see if all of that, makes a difference. The fact that certain types of hair react differently to conventional hair colour and lightening chemicals, IMO, supports trying a different approach first, before trying the conventional methods suggested.

Length
    27/33/46
    Type
    1a/F/ii

How I long for the days when all of my hair was naturally light blonde. Darn my genetics for turning my hair darker with age. Well, I hadn't done any lightening to my hair for quite some time, so I had probably over 6 inches of dark roots coming in. After reading favorable reviews of coconut oil, I decided to give it a try.

I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo and then heavily oiled my entire damp length and scalp around midnight. My hair is a touch longer than BSL. I didn't measure out the oil, but I estimate that I used between one and two tablespoons.

I woke up at 10:30 in the morning and prepared my dye. I use Garnier Nutrisse # 80 - Butternut, which is described as a medium natural blonde. On my hair, it actually comes out a bit more golden than the picture on the box. The color comes with a little thing of "fruit oils" that contains grapeseed oil and fragrances, which I added in. I threw away the conditoning packet, as it contained cones and I am currently going no cones.

I applied the color to my dark roots and let it sit for 25 minutes. I did not work the color into the length of my hair as the instructions said.

After the time was up, I rinsed with water for a bit, then COed my roots with V05 moisturizing conditioner. Afterwards, I applied an SMT made like this:

2 tablespoons Mane n' Tale conditioner
    1 tablespoon V05 moisturizing conditioner
    1 tablespoon Ion Effective Care Treatment
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon aloe gel
    1 teaspoon coconut oil

I left the SMT on for an hour and a half, then rinsed. I applied Fox's Shea Butter Cream to my ends and lightly oiled my length with coconut oil.

My end results are good. My hair feels fine. It's very smooth and the oil did not affect the color. I have no damage that I can see or feel. I did shed more than usual over the course of the day. Only time will tell if the coconut oil really protected my hair, as my hair typically feels fine after lightening but becomes dry and prone to split ends as it ages.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowclaw View Post
    How I long for the days when all of my hair was naturally light blonde. Darn my genetics for turning my hair darker with age. Well, I hadn't done any lightening to my hair for quite some time, so I had probably over 6 inches of dark roots coming in. After reading favorable reviews of coconut oil, I decided to give it a try.

I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo and then heavily oiled my entire damp length and scalp around midnight. My hair is a touch longer than BSL. I didn't measure out the oil, but I estimate that I used between one and two tablespoons.

I woke up at 10:30 in the morning and prepared my dye. I use Garnier Nutrisse # 80 - Butternut, which is described as a medium natural blonde. On my hair, it actually comes out a bit more golden than the picture on the box. The color comes with a little thing of "fruit oils" that contains grapeseed oil and fragrances, which I added in. I threw away the conditoning packet, as it contained cones and I am currently going no cones.

I applied the color to my dark roots and let it sit for 25 minutes. I did not work the color into the length of my hair as the instructions said.

After the time was up, I rinsed with water for a bit, then COed my roots with V05 moisturizing conditioner. Afterwards, I applied an SMT made like this:

2 tablespoons Mane n' Tale conditioner
    1 tablespoon V05 moisturizing conditioner
    1 tablespoon Ion Effective Care Treatment
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon aloe gel
    1 teaspoon coconut oil

I left the SMT on for an hour and a half, then rinsed. I applied Fox's Shea Butter Cream to my ends and lightly oiled my length with coconut oil.

My end results are good. My hair feels fine. It's very smooth and the oil did not affect the color. I have no damage that I can see or feel. I did shed more than usual over the course of the day. Only time will tell if the coconut oil really protected my hair, as my hair typically feels fine after lightening but becomes dry and prone to split ends as it ages.
    Thank you for such a thorough report!

Great news on your initial results. The extra shedding n my opinion is from all of the extra manipulation from all of the treatments.

I will add your report at this point, to the Pending File, until you are more sure about the no damage results.

Please update!
    Last edited by ktani; July 8th, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Interpreting the reports

While damage to hair from bleaching (peroxide and/or bleach) can be minimized, the hair you start with has to be considered and some hair can withstand conventional lightening chemicals more than others.

From 30 reports so far, no apparent damage has been reported with the use of coconut and argan oils, used on hair on heads, and the hair has been reported to be in better condition, than it was when the oils were not used on prior occasions, for conventional colouring or lightening. These reports are aside from shed hairball (test strand) reports, in which hair was pushed with conventional chemicals to the limit and beyond. Any abuse of conventional lightening chemicals can result in hair disasters and is not advised.

No hair damage (again, hair on heads) has been reported elsewhere here on the boards, without the use of any pretreatment, when some people have hi-lighted, used 10 volume peroxide, coloured with conventional products, and used products like Sun-In, on their hair. It comes down to degrees and interpretation of damage and what is visible or felt by people (felt as in literally felt their hair, not as in feelings or emotions). If someone reports no damage as in no; breakage, split ends, gummy hair, brittleness, weak hair, loss of shine etc., I consider that to be no damage too.

Hair can feel better following conventional lightening, with the use of conditioning but no conditioning can repair hair damage. To me, it makes more sense to help prevent hair damage, than to have to just help the hair feel better, once damage has occurred.

What is significant to me, with regard to conventional hair lightening, is this research, and the potential protective effects of flavonoids and phenolic acids on levels that cannot be seen or felt.
    “Protection by the Flavonoids Myricetin, Quercetin, and Rutin Against Hydrogen Peroxide-Induced DNA Damage ….
    Exposure to 50 μM H2O2 for 30 minutes .... 37°C resulted in significant DNA damage .... preincubation with the flavonoids before H2O2 exposure significantly .... protected .... cells against H2O2-induced DNA damage"

"In the Ames test, gallic acid esters showed protective effects against H2O2-induced cytotoxicity ….
    …. similarity of the protective effects of gallic acid esters on the H2O2-induced damages to both bacterial and mammalian cells.”

Gallic acid, a phenolic acid, is found in coconut oil.

And this research, by P&G, on the chelation of copper and the fact that constituents in both coconut and especially argan oil, chelate copper. Coconut oil constituents also chelate free iron, which generates oxygen free radicals, during a hydrogen peroxide reaction with cells.
    ".... hair color scientists discovered a way to reduce damage from the HO* radical, blocking its formation with the use of chelants—molecules that can coordinate metals through multiple binding sites. They added EDDS (ethylenediaminedisuccinic acid), a chelant which is highly selective to copper, to home hair coloring kits. During the coloring process, EDDS binds to the copper, preventing access to the copper by hydrogen peroxide .... results in better color formation and less damage. .... preference of the EDDS for copper over calcium makes it superior to traditional chelants, such as EDTA or DTPA, and more efficient at preventing fiber damage. 5-cycle repeat test showed that EDDS prevents more than 95 percent of radical damage. .... By minimizing free radical damage, advances such as EDDS help hair remain resilient and retain a healthy, lustrous look. ...."

Bringing the research that started this thread together with the reports

“Protection by the Flavonoids Myricetin, Quercetin, and Rutin Against Hydrogen Peroxide-Induced DNA Damage ….
    cell lines were supplemented with various concentrations of myricetin, quercetin, and rutin for 24 hours .... Exposure to 50 microM H2O2 for 30 minutes at 37°C resulted in significant DNA damage .... preincubation with the flavonoids before H2O2 exposure significantly .... protected .... cells against H2O2-induced DNA damage"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

The 3 flavonoids mentioned, Myricetin, Quercetin, and Rutin are all found in honey and the peroxide boosters, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom and extra virgin olive oil. Gallic acid is found in coconut oil.
    "In the Ames test, gallic acid esters showed protective effects against H2O2-induced cytotoxicity ….
    …. structure-activity relationship indicates …. similarity of the protective effects of gallic acid esters on the H2O2-induced damages to both bacterial and mammalian cells.”
    http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/ind...s&therow=25033

Same researchers, Date, 2007
    "Experimental evidence suggests .... most herbs and spices possess .... wide range of biological and pharmacological activities .... may protect tissues against H2O2-induced damage."
    http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/bjon/ab...195628!8091!-1

In the research, the cells were pre-incubated for 24 hours prior to the peroxide exposure. Based on the reports for bleaching, heavy coconut oiling overnight has been used in some cases and to me, makes sense. Bleaching is a much stronger process than just using peroxide alone, depending on how the conventional peroxide is being used (applied) in terms of frequency and amount.

Less oil and timing has been reported to be successful in minimizing damage, with weaker processes (demi colour).

Factors that can influence outcomes regarding damage are: the hair itself, the state of the hair, prior to the process used, and the process, timing and amount of conventional chemicals used. Every hair type has its limitations in terms of how much chemical processing it can handle. Pre-treatment can only do so much to help minimize damage, when it comes to dealing with all of that, if any of the factors is pushed to the limit and beyond.
    Last edited by ktani; July 10th, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: fixed link

For something like "henna removal", where bleach or conventional peroxide is going to be used continuously to lighten the hair as much as possible, I have a few suggestions.

1. Know your hair and how fragile it is or is not to begin with. Some types of hair cannot withstand too much processing, even with the added strength of henna in it. That will help you determine what strength and level of processing (volume of peroxide) you can start with.

2. Take any pre-existing damage into consideration, with regard to how much processing you intend to do. That means reading all directions carefully and watching the timing of the processes extra carefully, and the strength and amount of the chemicals used.

3. Use both oils, coconut and argan oils together, and leave them on the hair longer than overnight, starting with clarified hair, at least a day or 2 earlier than the scheduled process, building the amount of pre-oil gradually, until about the night before, where a heavier oiling can be done. Extending the time and by doing multiple applications of the pre-oiling, the hair will be completely and thoroughly saturated. Argan oil can make the skin sun sensitive, so cover up in the days before the process or keep it off the scalp until the overnight oiling. It can help prevent irritation during the chemical process though. It is a scientifically proven anti-inflammatory.

4. Cut back on the amount of bleach/peroxide, and lower the volume of peroxide if possible, used with each successive process, as you monitor the hair's condition and lightening. Take time out (as much time as you need), in between continued processing, to get a better idea of what the condition of the hair is like after each use of the chemicals. If the hair is, as it should be, getting lighter, less and weaker conventional chemicals should be needed each successive time, and the time left on the hair should be much less too.

The end result, logically, should be that the hair is lightened as much as possible, with less damage than not using a pre-treatment to offset free radical damage. The research here and and here, plus reports in this thread so far, support this premise.

If the 95% stated in the P&G research is correct, with regard to chelating copper reducing free radical damage, and in the green bleach research, conventional peroxide use being the reason for brittle damaged hair, together that means that by reducing free radical damage, conventional hair colour and lightening processing damage can be considerably reduced in total.

Both coconut oil and argan oil more so, chelate copper, in addition to both oils chelating free iron. Free iron is named in honey research, as being responsible for free radical generation.
    Last edited by ktani; August 30th, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed link