Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Herbs and Their Uses

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Herbs and Their Uses

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    The most confusing is that the box shows round shaped Gotu Kola leaves, but ingredients list says it is Bacopa Monnieri (Herpestes Monnieri).

So I can't tell which one it is.

More; somehow I thought Thyme was closely related to one of the brahmis, so I used thyme in a rinse. MY GOD how drying (and astringent?). I could not feel it very much on my hair due to pre oiling and not much cleansers, but when used on my skin and nails...
    I will never use on hairs again. Maybe scalp or feet. It felt good on my feet, and scalp seems to like rosemary and other activating herbs.

Therefore, I want the type of brahmi that is as far related from Thyme as possible ^_^
    OK - Gotu Kola is centella asiatica, anyway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centella_asiatica
    I am sure they have made a mistake by calling it bacopa monnieri, since I am familiar with both the plants! - Gotu kola can never be bacopa monnieri!

Thyme is probably not related to brahmi (gotu kola) or brahmi (water-hyssop). Both plants don't have any smell, whereas thyme has a strong smell. Sorry you had a bad experience with thyme on your hair. Try to get the brahmi (gotu kola) with round leaves - nothing can go wrong with that one!

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HotRag View Post
    How do one do to make shikakai liquid from whole dried shikakai?
    I found it to be to hard to filter the powders.

If anybode has an instruction to this, it could be put in the message with shikakai in this thread. There is only powders now (of what I underdstand).
    Do you have whole dried shikakai nuts with you? If so you have to soak it at least for 12-16 hours before you can grind it in a mixer with water.

Here is a recipe: (also found in the page for Shikakai in this Thread)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soak shikakai nuts (whole), soapnuts (ritha) (whole) and dried amla (whole dried fruit) overnight. in the proportion of 2:2:1. Next morning, boil them in water for 15 minutes. Remove the seeds and blend the pulp in a mixer. Store this mixture in the refrigerator and use once a week.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope this helps!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Sorry if I missed out anything on this thread( I tried reading through the whole thread) but Diamondbell! Would you be knowing anythng about anjanakal? It is used in the making Neelibringadi and I would like to know what is the purpose of adding this to the oil?

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post
    Sorry if I missed out anything on this thread( I tried reading through the whole thread) but Diamondbell! Would you be knowing anythng about anjanakal? It is used in the making Neelibringadi and I would like to know what is the purpose of adding this to the oil?

Hi princess! Anjanakal seems to be a mineral. Here is an interesting link about how they make the oil
    http://www.hindu.com/2000/04/02/stories/1302048d.htm

The English for Anjanakal is: Antimony trisulphide . I have never heard of this stone (?) before. What could it be? Even I don't know about this, but would like to know.

The article says:
    "Antimony trisulphide, or anjanakal as it called in Tamil, is a mineral that protects against eye disease and is also said to be cooling for the eyes. Hence its use in Nilibhringadi oil. A fine powder of antimony sulphide is said to have been used as kohl since ancient times in the East. Legend has it that this kohl was an important ingredient in Cleopatra's beauty kit. "

HTH!

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Greater Burdock, (Arctium Lappa) Repeinik, Lopukh (Russian), Gobo (Japanese), Niu bang zi (Chinese)

Roots

Burdock herb- can be used as a tea, from fresh or dried root or as an oil.
    (Fun fact: burdock flowers inspired the creation of Velcro. As they have the hook loops on them for seed dispersal. They are fun to put on the backs of unsuspecting relatives.)
    The root is edible and is common in Japanese cuisine.

Burdock root oil
    Massaged into the scalp before wash helps with dandruff, itchiness, hair loss and is a skin conditioner. A couple of drops applied to hair post wash as conditioner. Gives shine to hair and is a protector from split ends. Promotes normal functioning of sebaceous glands and hair follicles.
    Good especially when combined with nettle root oil.
    From personal experience, works better with medium to fine hair.

Recipes:
    100g burdock root pieces steep in 200 ml almond oil for 24 hours. Cook on a very low heat 15 minutes. Let cool then press the root pieces to extract the properties. Strain. Apply to hair and scalp 5 hours before washing.

Finely grate 40g of fresh burdock root and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Steep 20 minutes. Then cook on very low heat until it boils. Boil until half of the liquid boils out. Let stand in a warm place for a while. Apply to scalp skin several times a week.

Apply warm burdock oil on clean hair and rub it into the scalp. Cover with a rubber cap (swim cap). Wash out after 30 minutes. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Sage

Also Known As: Sawge, Garden Sage, Red Sage, Broad-leaved White Sage, Narrow-leaved White Sage, Salvia Salvatrix

Botanical Name: Salvia Officinalus

Description: Sage is an herb with wiry stems and grows to be a little over a foot in height. Sage's leaves are wrinkly due to a network of veins it possesses on both of the leaves sides. It has a grayish-green color and has soft hairs growing on the underside of the leaves. Sage emits a strong scent.

Benefits: Sage has stimulant and astringent properties, making it an a effective hair growth aid and its astringent properties help to cleanse and regulate scalp and its sebum. Effective in strengthening weak and brittle hair. Additionally, it promotes dark hair and combats graying. Can be used in conjunction with ACV in promoting hair growth. Also effective in alleviating sore throats and fevers. Can be taken internally in the form of tea or as a seasoning, or the roots and/or leaves can be made into a paste and applied directly to external areas.

Sage Tea Rinse for Covering Grays/Strengthening Hair:
    Simmer 1/2 cup dried sage in 2 cups water for 30 minutes, then steep for several hours. Apply to hair and leave on until dried. Then rinse and dry. Repeat weekly, until desired shade, then monthly to maintain color. (for a stronger darkening affect: Steep a bag of black tea with the sage (optional) for stronger stimulant/growth/scalp-toning: Steep with Rosemary leaves).

Source: samsonssecret, pioneerthinking (websites).
    Last edited by ccmuffingirl; May 17th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
    "She walks in beauty, like the night/ Of cloudless climes and starry skies;/And all that's best of dark and bright/Meet in her aspect and her eyes..."-George Gordan, Lord Byron

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    Greater Burdock, (Arctium Lappa) Repeinik, Lopukh (Russian), Gobo (Japanese), Niu bang zi (Chinese)

Roots

Burdock herb- can be used as a tea, from fresh or dried root or as an oil.
    (Fun fact: burdock flowers inspired the creation of Velcro. As they have the hook loops on them for seed dispersal. They are fun to put on the backs of unsuspecting relatives.)
    The root is edible and is common in Japanese cuisine.

Burdock root oil
    Massaged into the scalp before wash helps with dandruff, itchiness, hair loss and is a skin conditioner. A couple of drops applied to hair post wash as conditioner. Gives shine to hair and is a protector from split ends. Promotes normal functioning of sebaceous glands and hair follicles.
    Good especially when combined with nettle root oil.
    From personal experience, works better with medium to fine hair.

Recipes:
    100g burdock root pieces steep in 200 ml almond oil for 24 hours. Cook on a very low heat 15 minutes. Let cool then press the root pieces to extract the properties. Strain. Apply to hair and scalp 5 hours before washing.

Finely grate 40g of fresh burdock root and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Steep 20 minutes. Then cook on very low heat until it boils. Boil until half of the liquid boils out. Let stand in a warm place for a while. Apply to scalp skin several times a week.

Apply warm burdock oil on clean hair and rub it into the scalp. Cover with a rubber cap (swim cap). Wash out after 30 minutes. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.

That's wonderful mira-chan! Keep them coming. The pictures look wonderful.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

ccmuffingirl great information.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondbell View Post
    That's wonderful mira-chan! Keep them coming. The pictures look wonderful.
    Thank you! Other than the roots, I took those pictures in Russia. I need to look up if I have more pictures for the stuff I have translated recipes for. I got those recipes from a Russian magazine.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

ccmuffingirl - that is so nice to see more herbs. Thanks!

mira-chan - unfortunately I never got a chance to see this plant (burdock) yet! Thanks for taking the time to translate it from the Russian magazine!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondbell View Post
    Hi princess! Anjanakal seems to be a mineral. Here is an interesting link about how they make the oil
    http://www.hindu.com/2000/04/02/stories/1302048d.htm

The English for Anjanakal is: Antimony trisulphide . I have never heard of this stone (?) before. What could it be? Even I don't know about this, but would like to know.

The article says:
    "Antimony trisulphide, or anjanakal as it called in Tamil, is a mineral that protects against eye disease and is also said to be cooling for the eyes. Hence its use in Nilibhringadi oil. A fine powder of antimony sulphide is said to have been used as kohl since ancient times in the East. Legend has it that this kohl was an important ingredient in Cleopatra's beauty kit. "

HTH!
    Thanks Diamondbell! You really are a great source of information. Yes I do know that Anjanakal is used for making kohl or suruma. In fact the book where I read about making Neelibringadi oil called it anjakkal aka surumakkal. I did not know that it was antimony trisulphide. I felt it was also used to darken hair colour. As our ancestors only saw everything from the point of view of the dark haired person.