Page 41 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Well, I bought the small 10 gr packet (I don't think they even sell something different in the cosmetic stores). It says 3 packets for 90 ml of developer cream, which means that one packet would require 30 ml of developer cream.
    I used some of both the powder and the developer, but I do have a way to measure both (I found a tiny measuring cup), so I think I'll be fine.
    Ah, now I see the difficulty. Thank you for clarifying that.

If anyone else is having the same kind of problem, these may help.

Best Conversions
    http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....s/Measures.cfm

More conversions
    http://curezone.com/conversions.asp

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    All I meant by that was not to have a set number of sessions in mind. Just see how it goes. Your hair is not the same as anyone else's.
    By no means of course. but it gives you a general idea what to expect. The same way you know the time frames for bleaching are very small, even though they vary.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Argan3 is the North American distributor/vendor for an argan oil women's cooperative in Morocco. Their prices are the best I have seen anywhere so far, for pure argan oil. They sell pure, first cold-pressed, certified organic argan oil and their customer service response time is fast, very friendly and very polite.

I can confirm the speed of response time because I have emailed them several times and I always get fast replies, within a day, usually.

They have free delivery, no minimum order, in both Montreal and Toronto.

I asked Aziz if he would be willing to ship argan oil internationally. He said yes.

Aziz Alaoui
    Founder
    ARGAN3, since 1998
    4796 Circle Road
    Montréal QC
    H3W 1Z4 Canada
    TEL. 514 482 2079
    www.argan3.com
    infos@argan3.com

Toronto Distributor for Argan3
    Thomas Robinson
    Partner – ARS Foods Inc.
    170 Brycemoor Road
    Toronto, ON M1C 2R3
    thomas@arsfoods.ca
    Cellular at 647-286-2180.

Prices: http://www.argan3.com/english/order.php

Cosmetic argan oil is lighter in colour than the food oil (better for lighter hair colours and has almost no odour) but either should be fine to use, IMO. Traditionally, the oil from unroasted nuts (cosmetic version) is used for cosmetic and medical purposes, See "How argan oil empowers", http://friendsofmorocco.org/2008News/May08/0517News.htm.

Argan oil also has positive reports, used for both hair conditioning, and skin care, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4796l.
    Last edited by ktani; December 7th, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling

I saw this online the other day but the % of peroxide mentioned, did not match anything I saw online for Sun-In, elsewhere.

.... Examples of such products include SUPER SUN-IN, SUPER WITH LEMON SUN-IN, and GRADUAL SUN-IN FOR MEN. SUPER SUN-IN has about 1.9% hydrogen peroxide at a pH of about 4.0. SUPER WITH LEMON SUN-IN has about 3.7% hydrogen peroxide at a pH of about 4.0. And GRADUAL SUN-IN FOR MEN has about 3.7% hydrogen peroxide at a pH of about 3."
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5968486.html
    Last edited by ktani; February 13th, 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling

This explains to me, why henna does not necessarily redarken completely, when lemon juice has been used, because not all of the chromophores have been repaired. I have not heard of or read, that peroxide lightening of hair, has redarkened.

"Oxidizing bleaches .... break the molecules at the double bond. This results in either a shorter molecule that does not absorb visible light, or a molecule whose chromophore is either shorter or non-existant. A shorter chromophore will absorb light of a shorter wavelength than visible light .... and so does not appear colored.

Reducing bleaches such as lemon juice (in combination with sunlight) .... convert the double bonds in the chromophore into single bonds, eliminating its ability to absorb visible light. Sometimes the reaction is reversible, where oxygen in the air reacts with the molecule to repair the chromophore, and the stain returns.

.... most famous hair bleach is hydrogen peroxide .... Unlike sunlight and lemon juice, peroxide is an oxidizing bleach .... its effects are less easily undone."
    http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/bleach.html
    Last edited by ktani; February 13th, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I think 14 applications is not excessive. Nightshade did 3-4 applications per session, and 3 session overall. She needed much less lightening than I do.
    And after all, every application isn't long at all. You spray on the Sun-In, then blow dry it until dries. It dries quite fast, so the exposure time of the lightener with the hair is actually very small. At least compared to the 10 hour soak I did to get lightening with 3% household hydrogen peroxide.
    Heidi, 14 applications may or may not be excessive, I can't answer that for you.

HOWEVER.....I recommend that if you plan on doing that many applications you make sure that you strand test EXACTLY like you plan. If you plan 14 applications, do 14 applications on the strand exactly like you will do on your hair, including spraying and drying each. This way you know how your hair will hold up.

I'd hate to see you not do a full strand test of the exact number of applications you plan and find that after 10 applications you have a lot of damage and breakage. Sometimes just one little extra bit of time, or one little extra application, will send someone's hair over the edge and yours is too pretty.
    Last edited by rymorg2; February 14th, 2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post
    I'd hate to see you not do a full strand test of the exact number of applications you plan and find that after 10 applications you have a lot of damage and breakage. Sometimes just one little extra bit of time, or one little extra application, will send someone's hair over the edge and yours is too pretty.
    You bring up an excellent point, again from a professional perspective.

I have always thought that a "strand test" referred to a test done on the head, on hair in a place not that noticeable. But, a strand test can also be defined as a hairball test or as Nighshade does, on taped, smoothed out hair.

Thank you for giving me pause for thought.

The terminology here on the boards can be confusing to me, sometimes. Strand tests can be done off the the head, on shed hair.

So a strand test is a strand test but where it is done, can make the difference, in terms of whether the hair afterward, may need to be cut or not, following any test.
    Last edited by ktani; February 14th, 2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thanks, the reason I used shed hair is because: a) I was testing many different lightening methods, which required more hair than I would like to mess with on my head. b) I didn't knew which one would actually work, so I could pick just "my method' and do a strand test on my head. that's what testing is all about. c) It's easier to test and then compare hairballs than strands on the head.
    Due to the fact that my hair is very curly, I just couldn't keep it smoothed out, and quickly it turned into a hairball whether I liked it or not. But other than that, I make sure I follow what I've done, so I can to the same thing on my own hair, maybe providing a 'worse case scenario', since I'll sure baby my hair more (oilings, moisture and so on). Right now I test bleaching then Sun-In, exactly the way I would do on my hair.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Thanks, the reason I used shed hair is because: a) I was testing many different lightening methods, which required more hair than I would like to mess with on my head. b) I didn't knew which one would actually work, so I could pick just "my method' and do a strand test on my head. that's what testing is all about. c) It's easier to test and then compare hairballs than strands on the head.
    Due to the fact that my hair is very curly, I just couldn't keep it smoothed out, and quickly it turned into a hairball whether I liked it or not. But other than that, I make sure I follow what I've done, so I can to the same thing on my own hair, maybe providing a 'worse case scenario', since I'll sure baby my hair more (oilings, moisture and so on). Right now I test bleaching then Sun-In, exactly the way I would do on my hair.
    Strand testing on shed hair is so much safer and less stressful and makes so much more sense to me, than strand testing on hair on the head.

There is no risk that any hair needs to be cut before one wants to. I think that you are using exactly the right method by doing that, to help preseve your great hair.

Good luck with all of the tests.