Page 25 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Has anyone tried both oils yet? Coconut oil with argan oil on top, as a pre treatment?

None of the oilings used so far, have been reported to interfere with dye uptake. In 2 cases, just the opposite effect was noticed, here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...1&postcount=28, and here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=115.

All 8 reports.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=258
    Last edited by ktani; January 26th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added link and text

If someone wants to try conventional peroxide and heat, here is some information on today's blowdryers.

"Safety cut-off switch - .... scalp can be burned by temperatures more than 140 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 60 degrees Celsius) [source: Hardin]. To ensure .... air coming out of the barrel never nears this temperature, hair dryers have .... heat sensor that trips the circuit and shuts off the motor when the temperature rises too much."
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/hair-dryer4.htm

Deep frying temperatutes
    "generally frying temperatures are around 325-375 degrees Fahrenheit (160-190 degrees Celsius)."
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook: Deep_frying

Frying temperatures
    ".... best cooking temperature for frying in olive oil is about 355F."
    http://spanishfood.about.com/od/cook...psoliveoil.htm

So cooking hair with coconut and argan oils, used as a pre treatment, with blowdryer heat applied to it, is not going to happen, IMO.
    Last edited by ktani; February 17th, 2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: adjust text

I have seen multiple pictures of argan oil. The oil tends to vary in colour, as does no doubt, the quality of the oil.

This oil seems light to me.

While this one is considerably darker. (Click on the image in the upper left hand corner of the page.)

And then there are these 2 argan oils. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page.)

And this

So, I aked Aziz Alaoui of Argan3, what colour his food oil is, seeing as it is an extra virgin, certified organic, first cold-pressed oil, http://www.argan3.com/english/welcome.php. I have seen it on the Argan3 website but I wanted to see it side by side with his cosmetic oil. These are the kinds of questions I ask, if I am going to use an unknown substance on my hair and have choices to make. One of my first questions is "What colour is it?" I was also curious to see if extra virgin, first cold-pressed oils, were lighter in colour, than some of the photos I had seen online, of argan oils.

He kindly sent me these, which are his pictures. I made them clickable. It shows the difference in colour between the food and cosmetic oil very well, I think. They are both extra virgin, certified organic, first cold-pressed oils. The food oil is made from lightly roasted argan nuts, while the cosmetic oil is made from raw, unroasted nuts. The roasting of the nuts, gives the food oil its deeper, slightly reddish hue and strong, nutty flavour.
    A5 food oil ------- A1 cosmetic oil

Photos courtesy of Argan3
    Last edited by ktani; March 26th, 2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: adjust text

For the food argan oil.

"Argan oil:Occurrence, composition and impact on human health

.... studies have fully confirmed the traditionally known cholesterol- and triacylglycerol-lowering effects of argan oil in humans, together with its hypotensive effect. .... argan oil consumption clearly reduces cardiovascular risks .... argan oil has been shown to possess antioxidant properties .... Minor components of argan oil .... also likely to be responsible for some of its pharmacological properties .... Among those phenolic fraction of argan oil has been shown to inhibit low-density lipoprotein oxidation .... and to have an antiproliferative effect on human prostate cancer cell lines .... so far .... most advanced clinical researches have only established that an argan oil-enriched diet can be recommended to patients having cardiovascular diseases ...."
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/c...46841/PDFSTART

This is from 2005, on Argan oil and the chelation of copper.

"Virgin argan oil phenolic extracts (VAO-PE) ....
    .... results show that VAO-PE abolishes the Cu-induced electrophoretic shift in LDL .... indicating that there was a protection from oxidative modification of LDL. .... VAO-PE can also act by either .... blocking the copper-binding site or by binding to another .... site .... thus reducing the binding of copper. .... VAO-PE may interfere with the redox activity of copper ions on the surface of the lipoprotein .... exert similar effects to those obtained by blocking the copper-binding site."
    http://www.iugs.ca/File/400/Berrougui_et_al.pdf

Argan oil lowers cholesterol in part by chelating copper. The food oil is darker in colour than the cosmetic oil and has a nutty odour.

Coconut, argan oil and heat

There are various misconceptions on the inernet regarding the processing of these 2 oils. It is not recommended to cook with argan oil, but the heat used during processing, if done properly, like that overseen through a co-operative, does not compromise the oil's properties.

Coconut oil

"The Myth of Enzymes and Coconut Oil

"There are no enzymes in coconut oil, nor any other edible oil for that matter." - Mary Enig, Ph.D, a nutritionist/biochemist and the author of Know Your Fats.

"If you don't heat the oil high enough to destroy the enzymes and then filter them off, plus filter the oil, that oil becomes unstable and tastes terrible." Ray Peat, Ph.D, author of several articles on fats and oils, and coconut oil in particular.

.... good thing about coconut oil is .... it isn't damaged by heat. .... why it's so good for cooking. .... saturation that makes it stable. If coconut oil contains enzymes it would become very perishable - just like all raw foods containing enzymes." Lita Lee, Ph.D. - Lita is a chemist, enzyme nutritionist, nutritional counselor .... has written on coconut oil.

"Coconut oil does not contain enzymes. Many in .... raw food movement are misinformed about this." Dr. Adiel Tel-Oren, M.D., medical doctor, doctor of chiropractic, licensed nutritionist, certified clinical nutritionist .... lecturer on the health benefits of coconut oil ....

.... a myth that there are coconut oils on the market that are "live" with enzymes and "see no heat." Coconuts are native to the tropics, where temperatures are very hot. Any coconut oil distributed anywhere in North America has "seen heat."
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/en...oconut_oil.htm

Argan oil

From Aziz, Argan3

"ARGANE OIL DEODORIZED
    This type of Oil was made for the first time in 2005 and I started to import it to Canada only in 2008 . The Argane oil is deodorized by a physical natural process. The deodorization has been by steam over than 100 ° C and not a chemical process.

The oil conserves its fundamental properties .... : richness in vitamins E and unsaponifiables, known for its nourishing properties, regenerating and restructuring. Its strong antioxidants offset malnutrition in the depth of the skin responsible for cellular aging. Tests have been done in Morocco and many Laboratories of Cosmetics use such oil because its slightly unscented . The odor was a problem in the past for beauty care oil, With this new oil , the problem of odor has been 95% reduced and solved. Properties: .... Known to lower cholesterol and protects the cardiovascular system ...."

"Thermal stability .... of argan oil, 2008
    The primary aim of this study was to determine the oxidative stability of argan oils .... Both food and cosmetic argan oils were investigated. .... cosmetic and food grades have a similar profile and content of phenolic antioxidants, vitamers, and squalene, it appears that the ratio of fatty acid groups .... much higher in argan oils than in other vegetable oils .... responsible for their higher thermal stability."
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...7e2cb01b463f9e
    Last edited by ktani; January 26th, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: adjust text

Use of a blowdryer with conventional peroxide, based on this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=262 and this, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=266, should not compromise coconut and argan oils used as a pre treatment, to help prevent free radical hair damage.
    Last edited by ktani; January 26th, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling

hi ktani..
    i tried yesterday to do a strand test on my henna + indigo glossed hair, i never had official full henna, they were more like strong glosses.. to start with, my hair is dark brown with reddish tone under the sun plus about 2 new inches of very dark blond(light brown) virgin hair.. so yesterday i tried to do a strand test on my own, after applying coconut oil.. the result was that the virgin hair happily took the color -loreal light ash blond, but the old hanned -glossed hair- didn't change a bit, and worst of all there were about 2-3 inches of very orange color between the virgin and the glossed hair! i don't know what to do!
    i am thinking of buying a bleach and doing like Bianca, but just afraid of the virgin hair difference.... any advice?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Palms View Post
    hi ktani..
    i tried yesterday to do a strand test on my henna + indigo glossed hair, i never had official full henna, they were more like strong glosses.. to start with, my hair is dark brown with reddish tone under the sun plus about 2 new inches of very dark blond(light brown) virgin hair.. so yesterday i tried to do a strand test on my own, after applying coconut oil.. the result was that the virgin hair happily took the color -loreal light ash blond, but the old hanned -glossed hair- didn't change a bit, and worst of all there were about 2-3 inches of very orange color between the virgin and the glossed hair! i don't know what to do!
    i am thinking of buying a bleach and doing like Bianca, but just afraid of the virgin hair difference.... any advice?
    Bleach would not do you much good, as it lightens not just the henna but also the hair itself, and it will result with bright clown orange (as if you were to henna white hair).
    Iris managed to lighten her henna with 3% hydrogen peroxide. She had some indigo in her hair as well, and reported an 'greenish cast' after the lightening. She said she successfully masked it with the hair dye. This was quite a long process, and required alot of stand testing. Don't rush to do it, as you might easily destroy your hair if you're not careful. You might also take a look at her strand test experiments on the archives.
    Nightshade also managed to lighten her henna using Sun-In. The tread is here with all the details and cautions, make sure you read everything she wrote there.
    From your post I didn't quite understand what color you are trying to achieve and how dark is your hennaed hair. If you are trying to get blond color back, I'm not sure it would be possible without creating a great deal of damage to the hair, even when using the oil pre-treatment as described in this thread.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Quote Originally Posted by Palms View Post
    hi ktani..
    Bianca used a mild bleach pak, the details are in her thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...t=16279&page=2.

I agree with Heidi 34, go slowly and rather than strand test, hairball test so you can see what is happening as you go. For both iris and Nightshade, the process, took time and it was painstaking but worth it.

Peroxide may be better but you need to be patient. Bianca only had 2 hennas on her hair and no indigo.

I would use both oils, coconut and argan and not test on your head, first.

If you do decide to tackle those 2 to 3 inches do not use too much or too strong a chemical all at one. Even with the oils, you still need to use caution.