Page 100 of 221 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2203

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Baking soda needs to be completely dissolved to be the most hair friendly (warm to hot water is best), otherwise it can be abrasive.

It would depend on how much lemon juice is in a recipe as to the reaction. It may foam with lemon juice as lemon juice and vinegar have similar pH levels. However, if baking soda is added to a soapnuts/lemon juice mix, the pH of the solution would be different and it may not foam (the lemon juice and baking soda), not the soapnuts, which foam on their own because of the saponins.
    Last edited by ktani; January 21st, 2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Hypnotica, I'm curious about the baking soda. What was your recipe? I'd love to see a pic of how it came out!

Neoma and Eaglefeather, can't wait to hear your results! :-)
    I didn't follow any exact recipie, about half a tb in about 100 ml soapnut liquid.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I feel like baking soda defeats the whole purpose of the soapnuts though.
    In some way - maybe. I know my hair is odd, because it LOVE baking soda. But the soapnuts is still useful in cutting down on commercial products and being more eco-smart.

I will try soapnuts + lime next time to see if the results are as good for me.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

If you do try the soapnuts + lime, and if you try my foam washing method & recipe, I'd suggest using maybe 2 oz. rather than just 1 oz., since your hair is so beautifully long! :-)

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

If you do try the soapnuts + lime, and if you try my foam washing method & recipe, I'd suggest using maybe 2 oz. rather than just 1 oz., since your hair is so beautifully long! :-)
    I usually only put cleaning agents just on my scalp, but I will try to add some more water next time.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Neoma and Eaglefeather, can't wait to hear your results! :-)
    Last night, I oiled my hair lightly with Moonchaser's SS Oil.

This a.m., I applied about a cup of the soapnut brew (5 nuts steeped overnight in 2 cups boiling water) to my hair. I focused primarily on my scalp, but ensured that the length got soapnutty goodness, too.

I massaged the foamy brew lightly into my scalp and finger combed it through the length. Then I clipped my hair up till I finished my showerly duties, after which I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed.

I did not use conditioner.

My hair was almost tangle free after towel drying, but I did lose a few strands when I used my Tangle Teezer.

My hair dried quickly. It was clean, bright, extremely managable, soft and super shiny.

My crown looked a tad bit flat. I will skip oiling my scalp tonight. That should solve the problem.

All in all, I was very favorably impressed by my first use of whole soapnuts. Unlike aritha powder, it wasn't messy and didn't take long to rinse out. And, also unlike aritha powder, I didn't feel like there was any mechanical damage. The length feels very bit as silky and moisturized as if I had CO'ed.

Time will tell whether soapnuts becomes my primary cleansing routine. I do love the fragrance of shampoo bars and of Dairy Whip. So maybe soapnuts will be one of the methods in my cleansing rotation.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Neoma, that sounds great! Can you show us a pic? :-)

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Ok, so I read on a website that one of the ways you can make Soapnut Liquid for household use is to soak the nuts in water and then either strain or put in a blender. HaHaHa, that was FUN! I got so much thick, rich, Whipped Cream like foam it wasn't funny! It was unbelievable! I couldn't even blend it for very long because the foam just kept coming, and coming! It also took over an hour easy for the foam to disipate. It was like a solid... Once I got the foam to go away, I strained the liquid that was left (about 2 cups total) and this stuff is POWERFUL. (By the way, it was the soapnuts that were left over after making my shampoo too) I added 2 capfuls of lemon juice to the liquid.
    I took an ounce of the liquid and added to my applicator bottle. Shook like a mad woman....

It didn't make a quick light foam like my regular one, it took longer but made a thick rich foam that even after 2 hours on my desk is still there.

I'm so tempted to try this on my hair...maybe I should use it only when I pre-oil since I do have a hard time with too much oil being left behind. And then use the regular stuff for when I don't pre-oil.

I also used 6 soapnuts in my laundry for the first time the other day, and I liked it, but I had LOTS of static. I'm hoping after a few washes, my clothes will settle down. I don't mind the static because I don't use the fabric softener anyway and I'm used to having it, I was just hoping this would cut it down.
    Last edited by eaglefeather71; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Adding Pics
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Interesting about the blender!

I only used the soapnuts on my laundry a few times, it was warmer out so I don't remember static being an issue. They cleaned OK but the whites got dingy, and it seemed that the clothes pilled up a little.

I much prefer them for my hair! :-)

Length
    shldr/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I bought aritha today and plan on using them tonight. Very excited about the experiment; my hair is always dry and brittle no matter what i do... hopefully the soapnuts will help!Am using them on my laundry right now as wel!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge" (Daniel J Boorstin)