Thread: Cleaning out my closet...

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Cleaning out my closet...

I have a closet in the side of my master bedroom and it is absolutely filled with hair styling products, hair shampoos, hair conditioners, hair oils/treatments. It's also where I store my perfumes and body and foot lotions as well as massage oils. Anyhow, it's overrun with products and I'm looking to go through all of them tomorrow and try to decide what to keep and what to part with. However, I'm a tad uncertain about what I should keep or get rid of. Therefore, I am looking for others opinions on this and would appreciate answers/opinions on the following two questions:

1) Are there any nasty ingredients that would make a product an absolute throw away or regift item to you?
    * Perhaps Sodium Luareth or whatever that is super trying and in shampoos? Anything else?

2) To cone or not to cone? That is the question! Currently, I've switched to cone-free products (Giovanni, CV shampoo bars, other natural products). The winters here in NY are very dry and cold. However, during summer it gets very humid and hot here. My hair typically reacts horribly to this (my hair has always been much harder to manage and maintain sleekness in summer). It frizzes, puffs, gets curlier... all of which I hate.

If I ditch my cones now will I regret it in summer?

Is there anyone here who can live without cones in winter but then requires them during a humid part of
    the year? I wouldn't want to throw away expensive brands and products such as Redken etc unless I really wouldn't need them again. I have only recently joined the LHC so I haven't experienced my hair during hthe summer since starting the new things I have.

Wow, it's way past my bedtime I'm looking forwards to all advice.

Cheers,
    Sissy

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Cleaning out my closet...

Well, I personally would keep one or two shampoos that have SLS in them.....especially if you know that they are super-cleansing. Keep it on hand for when you need to clarify. And, I wouldn't ditch all the cones just yet. I agree that you shouldn't get rid of all of the expensive coney products until you decide whether you are going to need them or not.

I THOUGHT I needed to go totally cone free.....but I noticed that I had a LOT of splits and white dots. Thinking that it may have just been damage that had just been hidden by the cones, I did an experiement. I clarified really well, used a no-cone conditioner, and then went to the hairdresser and got a good 1/4 inch trim. Then, I came home and examined all of my ends.....I did a thorough S & D to get all of the ones that might have been hiding in my layers. Then, I went totally cone-free. CV bars and Suave no-cone conditioner with vinegar rinses (and deep coconut oilings 2-3 nights/wk). So, the only thing I was changing was the cones. After 2-3 weeks, my ends were a wreck. Splits, white dots, bends, breakage.....

My conclusion? My hair NEEDS the cones for protection.....it is too fragile and delicate.....add that to wearing it down most of the time.....so, I use them....they are not always "bad"....it is a personal choice.....but if someone chooses to use them (like I do), they need to be aware of how buildup feels, and what to do to get rid of it.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I would keep some of the cone stuff until you know for sure what your hair needs. Good luck!

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I had gone cone-free and lately my hair seems a lot more fragile and is more difficult to comb when wet now...maybe no cones has been my problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Account Closed by Member Request

You sound like me!

I have a "linen closet" filled with the same type of things. The top 1.5 shelves are dedicated to DH's colognes and whatnot, the next 1.5 are mine with the same type of products, then the bottom ones are poos, condishes and other hair care products.

Shortly after I joined I too went through my closet; funny before joining I never really thought to read labels I'd go by the scent.

Nearly all of my products that worked well on my hair had cones; I'd even venture to say that all of them had cones in it. My hair is on the thicker side and has a bit of curl to it.

If you notice, those who have thin, straight hair most can't stand cones because they weigh their hair down, and they really don't need the slip we coarse haired peeps seek.

I can't get a comb through my hair w/o using cones; so I make sure I clarify on the regular and I'm fine.

What I did with the poos I really didn't like, was combine them into one huge bottle. I added TTO EO to it, and I use it as a preventative measure every other hair washing for DD. She's elementary school aged, and we've been visited with lice in the past.

You may be able to do the same with the condish; I know I mix mine.

Another thing you could do was used the poo or condish you don't like as shave cream, I've done that many times.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

these are all great points. Thank you. I feel I probably should hang onto some cone products. I will go through and see what can be eliminated. I would like to become more minimalist with my supplies and have been successfully using Giovanni Products, which are cone free and organic. However, it sounds like I should at least wait until the summer to see how my hair reacts to Giovanni products during a humid season.

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by angelthadiva View Post
    You sound like me!

I have a "linen closet" filled with the same type of things. The top 1.5 shelves are dedicated to DH's colognes and whatnot, the next 1.5 are mine with the same type of products, then the bottom ones are poos, condishes and other hair care products.

Shortly after I joined I too went through my closet; funny before joining I never really thought to read labels I'd go by the scent.

Nearly all of my products that worked well on my hair had cones; I'd even venture to say that all of them had cones in it. My hair is on the thicker side and has a bit of curl to it.

If you notice, those who have thin, straight hair most can't stand cones because they weigh their hair down, and they really don't need the slip we coarse haired peeps seek.

I can't get a comb through my hair w/o using cones; so I make sure I clarify on the regular and I'm fine.

What I did with the poos I really didn't like, was combine them into one huge bottle. I added TTO EO to it, and I use it as a preventative measure every other hair washing for DD. She's elementary school aged, and we've been visited with lice in the past.

You may be able to do the same with the condish; I know I mix mine.

Another thing you could do was used the poo or condish you don't like as shave cream, I've done that many times.
    Thanks for these excellent tips. I think I will definitely use your suggestion to take some products that are only 1/4 left and mix them together and use them or save them for summertime as they mostly contain cones but I seem to be doing OK without cones now. Although, I am going to do a real test like you. I'm going to have a trim before January 1st. I'm going to attempt my first ever S & D to get any leftover splits and then I will keep using cone free and WATCH and wait. If I see a lot of splits coming back then perhaps I'll need to re-add cones to my routine as you did.

Thanks!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Still wondering though... are there any ingredients out there that would automatically put a product on anyone's throw-away list?