Page 250 of 420 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 4198

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    I just got back from Rite Aid and I was not able to find Prell anything, but I did get the Aussie. It will tide me over as I look for Prell. I also checked several other brands and ALL of them had panthenol or acrylates or cellulose or silk protein or *something* obviously coating in them. I just don't understand why the entire industry went the way of coatings in everything. Eventually you have to wash that crap off!
    You're right, and thanks for pointing that out. My drying time alone has made this worth it. It's time to straighten up and fly right!
    You did fine and you are most welcome. Prell may only be availble to you online. Just make sure you order the bottle not the tube (there is concentrate version too but that is not the one you want).

Dolly's friend gets it online, I believe.

Now you just need to clarify.

The coatings in shampoos are formulated to work with the coatings in conditioners. And yes, they do need to be removed at some point. Just look at the threads here on dry, tangly hair and "velcro" ends, the last stage, when clarifying becomes vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    I used the wrong shampoo name in #146. I have been using Dove Damage Therapy Burst Shampoo and Conditioner. I use half shampoo and half Tahiti-iti Vanilla Monoi Oil. I've used the Organic Virgin Coconut Oil that I have (and the name escapes me- I'll edit it in later) with similar results. In case anyone is curious about the scent, the shampoo itself has a light "ginger/nectarine" scent which I find very pleasant, which is saying a lot because I'm very smell sensitive. Both the vanilla monoi scent and the pure coconut scent blend nicely and the smell never gives me a headache or makes me feel queasy. I happen to be using this shampoo and conditioner because DH bought it for me in big bottles at Sam's Club. I was always afraid to try the "evil Dove", but I'll be buying this combo again. My hair has never felt so good.

Shampoo ingredients- Water (aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Gluconolactone, Adipic Acid, PPG-9, Sodium Sulfate, Trehalose, Methylchloroisothiasolinone, Methylisothiazolone, Yellow 5(CI 19140), Red 33 (CI17200)

I don't clarify very often, maybe once or twice a year, because my hair doesn't seem to need it and reacts poorly(gets very dry) to any of the clarifying shampoos I've used.

I still use conditioner, but about half the amount I used before washing this way. I usually dilute the conditioner in a cup with a little water to make it runnier and moosh it around my hair well and comb through. I can detangle my hair while rinsing out the shampoo/coconut oil mixture, which is a miracle to me. I could probably do without conditioner sometimes, but I'm afraid.

Since it's very cold here, I've been washing in the evening and in a couple of hours, my hair is almost dry. Very different from the 4 hours that it took before for my hair to get to the same "dryness". I don't understand how this part works, because I know my hair is more moisturized now because of the way it looks and feels and the shine. I don't use any type of leave-in now and my hair dries in a better wave pattern than when I used to use a little gel. I have never used much of a leave-in or styling product unless I need to beat my wispies into submission for a special occasion (like my son's wedding).

Whew! I think that's about it. Any questions, just ask. BTW, I tried to type all of the ingredients as I read them, but the type is really tiny and I wear trifocals. By the time I got to the very end, the letters were kind of running together.
    P.S. Before the movie star shampoo, I washed twice a week. Now I only feel like I need to wash once a week. AND my scalp doesn't get as smelly as it used to before a wash. How come?
    Thank you for your report! And the details I requested and the effort you had to go through to do all of that!

I will deal with reduced drying time first. That has been bothering me. People seem to get it without other results fairly quickly.

I was not considering the other part of the coconut oil research (2003). Coconut oil, present on the hair during shampooing also allows the hair to absorb less water, so drying time would be reduced as well as when the lauric acid penetrates to the cortex level. It would depend on how much coconut oil one is adding to their shampoo. It is that simple!

Build-up from products as I have repeatedly said, is not always perceptible until it becomes a problem. It is there though, growing if one uses most shampoos and any conditioner, plus it is made worse with leave-in conditioners, which contain more polymers than waxes, typically.

Your shampoo is not bad at all. As you have decreased the conditioner, it can remove some of the residue.

Since you have reduced the conditioner the coconut oil is more conditioning.

I still think that your results would be better with the method now but since you are happy, just continue as you are doing. The coconut oil is not penetratuing your hair well or at all but that is not what matters.
    Last edited by ktani; January 3rd, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added response

Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    I also checked several other brands and ALL of them had panthenol or acrylates or cellulose or silk protein or *something* obviously coating in them. I just don't understand why the entire industry went the way of coatings in everything. Eventually you have to wash that crap off!
    Yes, it is the same over here. Drives me crazy. I've been looking for a simple shampoo for a few years now, but they just have to put aloe and green tea in everything.

About your drier ends: I was thinking that maybe you could use some coconut oil as a leave-in if your ends/length end up drier after your next shampoo? It'll act more like a surface conditioner that way, not penetrate the hair, but it'll be on your hair the next time you wash, and may penetrate then. So it shouldn't hurt the process, and it may tide you over.

That was my grand plan when I started this, it turned out I didn't need it since I didn't get a disconnect between roots and ends with the oil shampoo, at all (strange thing to get used to, I'm so used to needing to treat them like different animals); but your hair is so much longer than mine, I can imagine that when you get to such a length the roots and ends may need somewhat different treatment, at least for awhile.
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    I didn't get a disconnect between roots and ends with the oil shampoo, at all (strange thing to get used to, I'm so used to needing to treat them like different animals);
    Others have been astonished by that too.

The coconut oil shampoo distributes light conditioning evenly through the hair and not being applied over conditioner, and when clarifying has been done, there nothing to prevent it from conditioning all of the hair equally well.

If as I have said, what is termed "crunchy" ends are an oil plus conditioner result, and not an oil result and conditioner is typically concentrated on hair ends, that makes even more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post

About your drier ends: I was thinking that maybe you could use some coconut oil as a leave-in if your ends/length end up drier after your next shampoo? It'll act more like a surface conditioner that way, not penetrate the hair, but it'll be on your hair the next time you wash, and may penetrate then. So it shouldn't hurt the process, and it may tide you over.
    That is true! Others have tried it here and it has worked well without causing problems. There is more though. Coconut oil can partially penetrate hair in 24 hours without heat. It has not proven to be necessary to use it that way as well as things progress, as long as the shampoo choice is good and clarifying has been done.
    Last edited by ktani; January 3rd, 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    17"/28"/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I saw the Prell Classic today at CVS.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
    I saw the Prell Classic today at CVS.

My friends says she can SOMETIMES find it locally. It is kind of a crap-shoot, which is why she decided to go online and stock up. I actually saw it in my little local store one day.....you never know what you might find there!

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

As I have said, I import the Sunsilk Lively Blonde Shampoo I use from the UK. It works out to about $36-38 for 2 tubes which last about 6 or longer months each because I do not wash my hair too often. The biggest cost in that is not the shampoo. It is inexpensive. It is the shipping, lol.

However, to me it has been worth it. I have a sensitive scalp, could not find anything locally as good and it plays extremely well with catnip.

Shampoo unopened has a shelf life of a few years, opened 1 year.

It is a personal decision as to what shampoo one chooses for this in terms of the available choices that are good.

The Prell Classic Shampoo in the bottle has great reviews online both on drugstore.com and makeupalley.com and now here, and it is inexpensive.

Using the method I designed, after well clarifying her hair including using the Prell itself for that, Karen then got optimal results in one try, using the Prell with coconut oil added to it. Nothing was needed following it, no conditioner or rinse or styling aids. She is continuing to get even better results.

No having to wait to see that, no experimenting with other shampoos or having to search for them, and no need to clarify her hair again. It is worth considering, in my opinion, to buy it.

Both the intitial report for Karen and the follow-up reports can be found together here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1844.

Her wave pattern has increased and her hair continues to look wonderful with 0 issues that need "correcting".

This version Prell Classic Shampoo can also be used as a clarifyer on its own, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2503.
    Last edited by ktani; January 10th, 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: update

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    My friends says she can SOMETIMES find it locally. It is kind of a crap-shoot, which is why she decided to go online and stock up. I actually saw it in my little local store one day.....you never know what you might find there!
    They have the Prell Classic at our Dollar General store.
    Current Hair Care Routine-
    Lots of TLC & TLHC!

No Frizz Curls

While I have no articles from that time to confirm that the oil shampoos used on Rita Hayworth were coconut oil based, the evidence to support my theory on that increased dramatically yesterday in a report.

This report by iris, is worth noting again for several reasons. It is very well written, and it discusses optimal results, and curls, that once optimal results have been achieved, last, and can be brushed and combed through, returning to their shape automatically, with no frizz!

This is not about the shampoo used. It is about optimal results and the method that is now being experimented with here.

The report, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2469
    "I think this is the most amazing aspect of the oil shampoo routine: that I can actually brush my curls out, and they will just calmly return to their original shape, as if nothing happened. With conditioner, even with curl styling cream, I just can't get my hair to do that - I can get nice-looking curls that way but as soon as I brush or comb, it's all over for the curls and I'll be left with nothing but a mountain of frizz."

This post is linked in the Article in the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by ktani; January 4th, 2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: punctuation

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Non-update of sorts... just letting whoever's interested know that I'm putting my experiment on hold while I use up miscellaneous products. I've established that my local drugstore does carry Prell Classic, and I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that they'll start carrying the current formula of Neutrogena Anti-Residue by the time I've used up my stash of conditioners and non-optimal shampoos. I'll be back!
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyViki View Post
    Non-update of sorts... just letting whoever's interested know that I'm putting my experiment on hold while I use up miscellaneous products. I've established that my local drugstore does carry Prell Classic, and I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that they'll start carrying the current formula of Neutrogena Anti-Residue by the time I've used up my stash of conditioners and non-optimal shampoos. I'll be back!
    You do not need both. You can also clarify with the Prell Classic and it is cheaper than the Neutrogena.