Page 136 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by milagro View Post
    Reporting my success
    I've just dyed my hair with pre-oiling for two and a half hours (coconut oil, refined), it's still damp but as far as I can see the color is ok. My hair feels soft, no extra damage visible (I've been looking at my tips closely for the last 15 min probably ) and what's important, I don't have any itch / irritation.
    Dye application was a bit tricky, though. It was rather hard to comb the oiled hair into small thin sections. Maybe I will have to let oil sit longer and be soaked better into hair next time.
    Anyway, I'm very happy with this method! Thanks a lot
    Thank you for your report!

Wonderful news! And you are most welcome! I will add it to the no damage reports.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    You are most welcome and thank you for your report! I am glad that it helped.

The recommended minimum time for the pre-treatment is 1 hour but people have done pre-treatments that have been successful with less time than yours.

If you immediately hennaed over the results, a damage assessment is going to be difficult. Please update when you can. I will hold off adding this report to either no damage or some damage reports, until you may have a better idea of the result.
    Oh, I forgot to check in after having posted here. I meant I only left the bleach on for twenty minutes, the oiling itself was overnight so definitely long enough. I didn't henna immediately, I waited about two week or so (I guess I sorta liked the blonde... ). I don't know if it fried my ends even more (telling damaged from even more damaged isn't that easy) but my five inches of previously-virgin roots look and feel undamaged.

I'm really frightened about having to do my roots in a few month's time, though and I'm going to hold off as long as possible before doing it. . I learned here that bleaching once may not be so bad, but bleach over bleach is the real killer, and retouching roots is a quick way to fry your hair. I'm going to oil heavily again, and apply vaseline on the previously bleached hair. And say my hail Marys.

Quote Originally Posted by madeline_ View Post
    Oh, I forgot to check in after having posted here. I meant I only left the bleach on for twenty minutes, the oiling itself was overnight so definitely long enough. I didn't henna immediately, I waited about two week or so (I guess I sorta liked the blonde... ). I don't know if it fried my ends even more (telling damaged from even more damaged isn't that easy) but my five inches of previously-virgin roots look and feel undamaged.

I'm really frightened about having to do my roots in a few month's time, though and I'm going to hold off as long as possible before doing it. . I learned here that bleaching once may not be so bad, but bleach over bleach is the real killer, and retouching roots is a quick way to fry your hair. I'm going to oil heavily again, and apply vaseline on the previously bleached hair. And say my hail Marys.
    I will put it in undamaged then. You can always update and I will move it accordingly.

Length
    Chin/SL/Waist

So I used Coconut and Argan oil as pre-treatment. At first it seemed like my hair was just swallowing the oil so I had to put a LOT. Left it on for 2.3- 3 hours before I put bleach on to lift my too dark (too much henna and katam) hair. I didn't use the powder that came with the bleach, just the 6% peroxide bottle.

And nothing really happened, haha!
    My hair maybe lifted a shade, max two and after repeated washing it is still full of oil No damage as far as I can tell, either. I left the bleach on a test strand for 5-10 minutes and -something- happened and left it on the rest of my hair for 20 minutes and pretty much nothing happened, haha.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    Lady Silacaladhiel Of Skađin-awjō in The Order of The Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Totte View Post
    So I used Coconut and Argan oil as pre-treatment. At first it seemed like my hair was just swallowing the oil so I had to put a LOT. Left it on for 2.3- 3 hours before I put bleach on to lift my too dark (too much henna and katam) hair. I didn't use the powder that came with the bleach, just the 6% peroxide bottle.

And nothing really happened, haha!
    My hair maybe lifted a shade, max two and after repeated washing it is still full of oil No damage as far as I can tell, either. I left the bleach on a test strand for 5-10 minutes and -something- happened and left it on the rest of my hair for 20 minutes and pretty much nothing happened, haha.
    Thank you for your report!

The pre-treatment has not once in any report impeded lightening. 20 volume peroxide or 6% hydrogen peroxide may not have been strong enough to lift the colour everywhere the way it did on the strand you tested. Without the powder it is not bleach.

I am glad to hear that there is no apparent damage.

Please update on that! I will file your report accordingly.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

A little update. I dyed my roots yesterday, my second go with coconut oil (unrefined). This time I left oil for over 4 hours and it soaked in perfectly by the time I started applying the dye. No problem with combing and dividing sections, and the color took very well. I can't spot any silver showing. I didn't dye the length so can't tell about damaging ends but overall my hair feels pretty soft, not dry and has gentle natural shine.
    Thanks again for this tip!

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by milagro View Post
    A little update. I dyed my roots yesterday, my second go with coconut oil (unrefined). This time I left oil for over 4 hours and it soaked in perfectly by the time I started applying the dye. No problem with combing and dividing sections, and the color took very well. I can't spot any silver showing. I didn't dye the length so can't tell about damaging ends but overall my hair feels pretty soft, not dry and has gentle natural shine.
    Thanks again for this tip!
    You are most welcome!

I was reading through this thread. I was wondering if anyone has or knows information about doing the coconut oil treatment to the hair then using Color Oops.

My deal is this... I have some henna in my hair from a while ago but I also have been dyeing my hair black too. At some point I'm thinking of trying to remove the dye to be lighter. Color Oops has worked great in the pass for getting out the old dye and I've never really found it to be damaging to my hair really but I was just wondering if anyone really knows or has tried coconut oil and the color oops.

thank you!

Length
    17/23/tb
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Do you think coconut oiling prior to using a colour remover (not bleach) such as Scott Cornwall Colour B4, or ColourOops etc would protect the hair? Or would it prevent the colour from being removed as much as it could be?

EDIT: Wow I should have checked the most recent page, the post above mine is asking the same question! Sorry!

Coconut oil has not been reported to interfere with dye uptake, just the opposite. It should not interfere with dye removal. The best way to test this is to strand test before using the coconut oil on all of the hair. The hair should be free of residue.