Page 135 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Girlcat, thanks, that's very helpful. Did it make hair stiffer / hard to comb through? I am worrying about the dye application.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by milagro View Post
    Very interesting article. I wonder why the industry hasn't discovered that!
    One more quick question: apply oil on wet or dry hair?
    Good first question! I have no idea.

As girlcat36 said, it can be applied to either wet or dry hair. You washed your hair and that is good. As long as you do not have a lot of residue on it, you should be fine.

The oil cannot penetrate hair much in 24 hours as it turns out, used this way. However, the purpose of it here is chelating, not conditioning. The conditioning reported is a bonus. By not having unnecessary coatings on your hair, the dye will take better and the entire process will give you a more even result.

You do want the hair covered well with the oil and evenly, and heavy coconut oilings have been reported to yield the best results.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

ktani, what kind of residue is critical? any? I use mousse to define curls every time I wash and I usually apply dye on dry hair (it is the recommended common practice I believe). So will I have to wash my hair prior to oiling?
    So many questions popping up

ktani, what kind of residue is critical? any? I use mousse to define curls every time I wash and I usually apply dye on dry hair (it is the recommended common practice I believe). So will I have to wash my hair prior to oiling?
    So many questions popping up
    "Critical" residue is about an amount that has built-up, that can result in dry, unruly hair, breakage etc. However, before it reaches the point where it is a noticable problem, it can still interfere with chemical processing, resulting in uneven colour results for example. If you want the best hair colour results, and you use a lot of product on your hair frequently, clarifying your hair before a colour process is advisable (a few days ahead of time and limit the product used until after you colour).

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Ok I see. I don't think I have a build-up I clarified about two weeks ago and I use only one product aside from condish and treatments.
    Thanks a lot!

Ok I see. I don't think I have a build-up I clarified about two weeks ago and I use only one product aside from condish and treatments.
    Thanks a lot!
    You are most welcome!

It also depends on how heavy your conditioner may be, the amount you use of it, and the styling product and its formulation. There are variables.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Girlcat, thanks, that's very helpful. Did it make hair stiffer / hard to comb through? I am worrying about the dye application.
    I oiled my dry hair overnight, the in the morning I wet my hair, and added just a bit more oil to the roots. I put my hair in a ponytail, then applied dye to my roots. I didn't seem stiff, and the oil did not affect uptake of the dye. I left the color on for twenty minutes, then rinsed, then put in a leave-in conditioner.
    No problems.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I use coconut oil also and my hair is between BSL and waist now. I always apply it because for me it does make applying the color easier. I apply it and I brush it through to get all the tangles out. I then apply the color and I dont have any problems with it tangling up. I apply extra to the length after brushing and I get great results.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I colored my hair last week with my usual Natural Instincts 'Tweed'.
    I did a heavy overnight oiling on DRY hair, braided it and went to bed. In the morning, I rinsed my hair to make it damp for coloring, combed it out and put it in a ponytail. I added just a bit more coconut oil to my roots, and applied color. I let it sit for 18 minutes, then applied a mix of 1/2 hair color and 1/2 conditioner(VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea) to my ponytail, worked it through for about a minute, the rinsed all the color out with cool water.
    The color took exceptionally well, and there was no damage.
    I wanted to report this because for me, I think applying coconut oil to DRY hair is better than damp hair. This is the second time I have overnight oiled on dry hair before a coloring; the results are great.
    Also should add in that I have been using oil shampoo 3 times a week for two months.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Reporting my success
    I've just dyed my hair with pre-oiling for two and a half hours (coconut oil, refined), it's still damp but as far as I can see the color is ok. My hair feels soft, no extra damage visible (I've been looking at my tips closely for the last 15 min probably ) and what's important, I don't have any itch / irritation.
    Dye application was a bit tricky, though. It was rather hard to comb the oiled hair into small thin sections. Maybe I will have to let oil sit longer and be soaked better into hair next time.
    Anyway, I'm very happy with this method! Thanks a lot

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.