Page 134 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    Just colored, and checking in. I did something slightly different this time so I guess I'll report on it.
    I did a heavy overnight coconut oiling(Nutive extra virgin organic), and usually I oil over wet hair. This time I was lazy, and didn't feel like wetting my hair so I oiled over DRY hair, braided it, and slept on it.
    In the morning, I wet my hair and applied more coconut oil to just the roots, and applied my hair color(Natural Instincts 'Tweed') to roots only. I left it on for 20 minutes, and did not pull color through my length.
    Rinsed out the color and finished with an ACV rinse and leave-in conditioner(VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea)
    The was no damage whatsoever.

I wasn't sure if it would make a difference with overnight oiling on DRY hair instead of wet. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    Thank you for the update and your new method!

These things are very good to know and help others. Thank you also for including the brand names!
    Last edited by ktani; December 12th, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Pixie/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/F/i

Thank you ktani, I think it worked for me too! I bleached after an overnight oiling of argan and coconut. I chickened out and only left it on for twenty minutes, which was even ten minutes shorter than the suggested time. But it took my hair to a weird sort of dark to medium yellow, which was my base to henna on. I don't think it did much damage, but then again, my ends are already pretty strawlike after years of box dye.

My mother wasn't all that pleased though, having to apply it on greasy hair. But then again she has suffered through all of her three daughters' crazy hair whims, including my eldest sister who had a few platinum years.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Hi, this thread is precious I dye my hair every 4 weeks to cover gray and I'd really like to try this method. I have some questions:
    1) is there any difference if I don't bleach but only dye tone-to-tone with semi-permanent haircolor (6&#37?
    2) I see a lot of people shorten exposure to 10-15 minutes, is it requisite? The box dye I use is recommended 35-40 min. Does oil intensify the dying process some way? ??: I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by madeline_ View Post
    Thank you ktani, I think it worked for me too! I bleached after an overnight oiling of argan and coconut. I chickened out and only left it on for twenty minutes, which was even ten minutes shorter than the suggested time. But it took my hair to a weird sort of dark to medium yellow, which was my base to henna on. I don't think it did much damage, but then again, my ends are already pretty strawlike after years of box dye.

My mother wasn't all that pleased though, having to apply it on greasy hair. But then again she has suffered through all of her three daughters' crazy hair whims, including my eldest sister who had a few platinum years.
    You are most welcome and thank you for your report! I am glad that it helped.

The recommended minimum time for the pre-treatment is 1 hour but people have done pre-treatments that have been successful with less time than yours.

If you immediately hennaed over the results, a damage assessment is going to be difficult. Please update when you can. I will hold off adding this report to either no damage or some damage reports, until you may have a better idea of the result.

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Where are you ktani? I have a jar of coconut oil just arrived and an urge to dye the 5-week old roots but I don't know if I would do everything right...

Quote Originally Posted by milagro View Post
    Hi, this thread is precious I dye my hair every 4 weeks to cover gray and I'd really like to try this method. I have some questions:
    1) is there any difference if I don't bleach but only dye tone-to-tone with semi-permanent haircolor (6&#37?
    2) I see a lot of people shorten exposure to 10-15 minutes, is it requisite? The box dye I use is recommended 35-40 min. Does oil intensify the dying process some way? ??: I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks.
    Where are you ktani? I have a jar of coconut oil just arrived and an urge to dye the 5-week old roots but I don't know if I would do everything right...
    Sorry, I missed your post somehow.

1. The pre-treatment is done the same way for both bleach and a demi. A heavy oiling with the bleach applied over it, (the oil left on the hair at least an hour (for bleach some prefer overnight), and the same timing can apply before a demi although some people prefer less time.

2. I would not shorten the oiling time too much before the demi. I suggest an hour before that. A pre-treatment with coconut oil has been reported to increase conventional dye uptake. However, that has nothing to do with the time recommended on the box of the product you bought. Those directions should in my opinion be followed.

This may help you better understand this thread, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...nnovative.html.

Good luck and please update or post if you have more questions.
    Last edited by ktani; December 6th, 2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Thanks ktani! I just washed my hair so I'll dye the day after tomorrow, I think. I will surely post about the results.

Thanks ktani! I just washed my hair so I'll dye the day after tomorrow, I think. I will surely post about the results.
    Great! I look forward to your report!

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Very interesting article. I wonder why the industry hasn't discovered that!
    One more quick question: apply oil on wet or dry hair?

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Very interesting article. I wonder why the industry hasn't discovered that!
    One more quick question: apply oil on wet or dry hair?
    I've applied oil to both wet and dry hair. It did not make a difference, so I will be applying to dry hair, since that is more convenient for me, and let it sit overnight.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights