Page 74 of 420 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I will try ACV directly after the BS rinse the next time I do a BS rinse.
    I think the prolonged drying time was directly related to the generous amount of moisturizing conditioner that I left in.
    I will continue with the ErbaOrganics until it is used up; it is a very small bottle and I am, for the most part, satisfied with it.
    The next shampoo I get will be California Baby Shampoo, which has just a few simple ingredients.
    I am not convinced. California Baby, 1 version http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=54794
    "Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Decyl Polyglucose (Extracts of Corn, Coconut & Palm Oil) (100&#37, Vitamin E, Vegetable Glycerin, Citrus Seed Extract, Very Small Amt. (.15%, This is Less Than 1/4 of 1%), Methyl Propylparaben (Of Food Grade)"

The other versions are similar or contain possible problematic ingredients http://www.drugstore.com/search/sear...Go.x=6&Go.y=10 but good luck with it.
    Last edited by ktani; December 3rd, 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    I am not convinced, California Baby, 1 version http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=54794
    "Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Decyl Polyglucose (Extracts of Corn, Coconut & Palm Oil) (100%), Vitamin E, Vegetable Glycerin, Citrus Seed Extract, Very Small Amt. (.15%, This is Less Than 1/4 of 1%), Methyl Propylparaben (Of Food Grade)"

but good luck with it.
    Ah, okay--thanks for the input! I am NOT very knowledgable about ingredients! With my finicky hair, I should learn!
    I was betting on fewer ingredients=milder.
    So my quest for the perfect shampoo may continue.
    Maybe I'll look at some of the VO5 shampoos. I usually just buy their conditioners.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Ah, okay--thanks for the input! I am NOT very knowledgable about ingredients! With my finicky hair, I should learn!
    I was betting on fewer ingredients=milder.
    So my quest for the perfect shampoo may continue.
    Maybe I'll look at some of the VO5 shampoos. I usually just buy their conditioners.
    Or if you want a baby cleanser you could try Johnson's Baby Shampoo or Head-to-Toe Original products, not their Natural line. The Natural line is full of coating polymers.

There are plenty of options.

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Or if you want a baby cleanser you could try Johnson's Baby Shampoo or Head-to-Toe Original products, not their Natural line. The Natural line is full of coating polymers.

There are plenty of options.
    Thanks! I am just looking for something super-mild, and sulfate-free. I'll give Johnson's a try!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Thanks! I am just looking for something super-mild, and sulfate-free. I'll give Johnson's a try!
    You are most welcome! Johnson's is not sulfate free. It is mild though, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=631.

Neither option is coating free. However, the coating ingredients are lower down on the list than other baby shampoos I looked at and some clarifying shampoos!

Either should be a good choice. Full details are in the links provided.
    Last edited by ktani; December 3rd, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: fixed link

Optimal coconut oil shampoo results reported in this thread (acidic, or soap based used with just a vinegar or lemon juice rinse to follow), with more than 1 of the following effects reported. #s 1, 2 and 3 are key indications that the shampoo has worked at the optimum level.

1. The hair dries faster than it does without a coconut oil shampoo (compared to using shampoo and conditioner or conditioner only).

2. There is 0 tangling throughout the shampooing process and during wet combing.

3. No conditioner is needed to follow the shampoo.

4. Waves, curls and volume are amplified.

5. The hair has a deep shine, is soft and tangle-free when dry.

6. Minimal to no static.

This post is linked in the Article in the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by ktani; January 18th, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: update

Length
    CL/CL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Ktani, I have a question for you. I tried the coconut oil shampoo, yesterday. I used 1-1 ratio Johnson Baby Shampoo with parachute coconut oil. I should say too, I clarified the day before with Suave. My hair looks good, and there was no frizz. But, it does feel crunchy and flat and a bit greasy the next day. I'm thinking of trying 2-1 ratio and mix it with water this time. My question is, should I clarify before trying this again? Before this I was using aubrey organics honeysuckle rose S&C. I don't use any oils or other products. Thanks!
    ~Renegray Gang Member~

Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    Ktani, I have a question for you. I tried the coconut oil shampoo, yesterday. I used 1-1 ratio Johnson Baby Shampoo with parachute coconut oil. I should say too, I clarified the day before with Suave. My hair looks good, and there was no frizz. But, it does feel crunchy and flat and a bit greasy the next day. I'm thinking of trying 2-1 ratio and mix it with water this time. My question is, should I clarify before trying this again? Before this I was using aubrey organics honeysuckle rose S&C. I don't use any oils or other products. Thanks!
    Thank you for your report and all of the details! I am adding it to successes.

Suave can require more than one wash to remove coatings. It sounds as if that is exactly what you need to do. Johnson's Baby Shampoo is very gentle and it is not designed to deal with removing coatings on the hair that may have caused your results.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo, http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/350.aspx
    "INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Carrageenan, Honeysuckle Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Magnolia, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Forsythia; Vegetable Glycerin, Sweet Almond Oil, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E)."

The ingredients I put in blue plus certain of the herbal extracts all may be the problem here.

Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/351.aspx
    "INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia; Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey’s Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E)."

The same applies to the conditioner. While these products may be great on their own, they can build-up and leave residues.
    Last edited by ktani; December 4th, 2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    CL/CL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks Ktani for your quick reply. That is interesting. I will clarify again and try the coconut oil shampoo with less oil and diluted.
    ~Renegray Gang Member~

Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    Thanks Ktani for your quick reply. That is interesting. I will clarify again and try the coconut oil shampoo with less oil and diluted.
    You are most welcome!

I do not think that you need to dilute the shampoo. I do think that you should reduce the amount of coconut oil.