Page 8 of 420 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

Earlier in the thread someone asked if you can buy coconut oil based shampoo.

They sell a few different varieties of it at Sally Beauty supply. Also a few with EVOO.
    Missing person advocates and crime discussion
    http://www.justicequest.net/forums

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post

They sell a few different varieties of it at Sally Beauty supply. Also a few with EVOO.
    Very cool! Thank you for this.

It depends on how much and what kind of coconut oil is used and what else in in the shampoo. EVOO would not be as good in my opinion for this, as it cannot penetrate the hair as deeply as coconut oil, as I understand it, that missing study or not.

Also EVOO purity, in terms of it not being mixed with olive oil comes into play. Coconut oil does not have the same issues.
    Last edited by ktani; November 25th, 2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Baby shampoo is just one option of several. Any clear shampoo without too many extras is optimal in my opinion, for getting this to work well.
    I'm guessing that shampoos back in the day did not have all the ingredients as now. I will see what I can find. I think WM has California Baby. I think some of the older Nature's Gate shampoos might fit the bill. The ones in the short, squatty bottles. I'm sure I have a couple in my product stash somewhere.

Do you think it matters if the shampoo used for this is soap based or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post

Thanks! I will check that out next time I can get to a Sallys.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    17/32/40
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

Very interesting! I love the little info about the talcum powder at the end, dry shampoo is a must in my hair care routine and I like the thought of it being something that has been used for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I'm guessing that shampoos back in the day did not have all the ingredients as now. I will see what I can find. I think WM has California Baby. I think some of the older Nature's Gate shampoos might fit the bill. The ones in the short, squatty bottles. I'm sure I have a couple in my product stash somewhere.

Do you think it matters if the shampoo used for this is soap based or not?

Thanks! I will check that out next time I can get to a Sallys.
    From what I have read on the subject, the shampoos back then were more toward the alkaline side of the pH scale than acidic. No, I definitely do not think a soap based shampoo for this is a problem. There are the options discussed to make one more acidic. However, an acid rinse should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by SineNicD View Post
    Very interesting! I love the little info about the talcum powder at the end, dry shampoo is a must in my hair care routine and I like the thought of it being something that has been used for a long time.
    Talcum powder is a great option for blondes. Depending on one's hair colour, I think this option, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...y-shampoo.html, is brilliant!
    Last edited by ktani; October 13th, 2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I added some refined coconut oil to my shampoo today.Normally I CWC,and i dont even use shampoo in the W,but a shampoo bar because shampoos are very drying to me.
    I put some oil in my palm (about half tablespoon) with one squirt of my regular tresseme moisture rich shampoo,lathered abit in my hands then applied it all over my scalp and it felt really great.my hair felt so soft even while rinsing out the shampoo and that never happened before.My hair is almost dry now and it feels soft and clean.
    I really like this method.

Length
    CL/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I am definitely going to give the movie star wash a try, as I have fine hair which likes coconut oil (in terms of its effect on my hair's condition) but which tends to appear stringy if I even LOOK at oil... any oil! And I've found acidic rinses have a good effect, too.

I think it is interesting that they washed Carole Lombard's hair twice a week (when she wasn't on set).

Thanks ktani, a very interesting thread!

Length
    28"/36.5"/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I found a rather interesting article from 1940.
    http://www.oldandsold.com/articles35...icine-54.shtml

I have not found a current source source for any of the of the shampoos mentioned.

I have used a shampoo from Komaza care with ingredients that might be similar. I found it to be very gentle and smelled awesome but did not seem to require a diluted lemon rinse for my hair. (not very scientific sorry ) I used the Coconut Curl Shampoo.
    http://www.komazahaircare.com/categories/1/Shampoo.html
    ingredients per website
    Distilled Water, coconut milk, Coconut Oil, behentrimonium, decyl glucoside, polyglucose, CocoGlucose, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, guar gum(Thickener/Conditioner), nettles, horsetail, rosemary, peppermint, marshmallow, aloe oil, soybean oil, jojoba esters, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B3, Pro vitamin B5, vitamin B6, Allatoin, Hydrolized Silk Amino Acid, Citric Acid Polysorbate 20, Cinnamon Cassia.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    I added some refined coconut oil to my shampoo today.Normally I CWC,and i dont even use shampoo in the W,but a shampoo bar because shampoos are very drying to me.
    I put some oil in my palm (about half tablespoon) with one squirt of my regular tresseme moisture rich shampoo,lathered abit in my hands then applied it all over my scalp and it felt really great.my hair felt so soft even while rinsing out the shampoo and that never happened before.My hair is almost dry now and it feels soft and clean.
    I really like this method.
    Wonderful news that it worked so well for you first try!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiara View Post
    I am definitely going to give the movie star wash a try, as I have fine hair which likes coconut oil (in terms of its effect on my hair's condition) but which tends to appear stringy if I even LOOK at oil... any oil! And I've found acidic rinses have a good effect, too.

I think it is interesting that they washed Carole Lombard's hair twice a week (when she wasn't on set).

Thanks ktani, a very interesting thread!
    You are most welcome! I have read that for scalp health, washing hair twice a week is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by pilateschick7 View Post
    I found a rather interesting article from 1940.
    http://www.oldandsold.com/articles35...icine-54.shtml

I have not found a current source source for any of the of the shampoos mentioned.

I have used a shampoo from Komaza care with ingredients that might be similar. I found it to be very gentle and smelled awesome but did not seem to require a diluted lemon rinse for my hair. (not very scientific sorry ) I used the Coconut Curl Shampoo.
    http://www.komazahaircare.com/categories/1/Shampoo.html
    ingredients per website
    Distilled Water, coconut milk, Coconut Oil, behentrimonium, decyl glucoside, polyglucose, CocoGlucose, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, guar gum(Thickener/Conditioner), nettles, horsetail, rosemary, peppermint, marshmallow, aloe oil, soybean oil, jojoba esters, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B3, Pro vitamin B5, vitamin B6, Allatoin, Hydrolized Silk Amino Acid, Citric Acid Polysorbate 20, Cinnamon Cassia.
    HTH
    You have nothing to apologize for. Thank you for posting all you did.
    It does not look from the ingredients that shampoo would need an acid rinse to follow it as it no doubt acidic enough on its own. While the ingredients may be in descending order, water can be "up to 80%" for a shampoo, http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-hu...ents-mean.html, leaving the other 20% to be made up of all of the rest of the ingredients, including the coconut oil. Some people may need more or less than the amount of coconut oil in that shampoo. I am not sure how the guar gum or coconut milk may affect the absorption of coconut oil into the hair and the shampoo appears to contain no preservatives, which is most odd. I am not saying that it is a bad shampoo or choice for this, just that the ingredient list is incomplete.

Great article! Great research! I doubt that most of the products are still available in the same formulation today as back then if available at all, the soaps, perhaps. The shampoos mentioned by name in the links on the stars are no longer on the market, as far a I can tell.
    Last edited by ktani; October 14th, 2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: clarification

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I was intrigued by the story of Carole Lombard's flyaway hair. My hair is maddeningly flyaway.
    I decided to experiment by adding coconut oil to my regular shampoo, and then using a lemon rinse after.

I originally posted this in the Lemon Rinse Frizz thread, but since I was also experimenting with oil shampoo, I wanted to add my post from that thread over to this one, so here it is, hope this helps:

Here is a pic of my results. I wish it was a better pic, but I got tired trying to get a good pic, and I have trouble cropping on my computer.

There definately less frizz this time. I do not use a curl product as most curlies do, so I am fairly happy with the results.
    After rinsing the coconut oil shampoo out my hair felt tangly for some reason.
    That mostly went away when I applied conditioner.
    I think I will stay with this dilutation of the lemon rinse.
    The only change I would make would be to try shampooing my entire length with the coconut oil shampoo(I do not usually shampoo length).
    I seemed to get better curl formation at the roots where I had concentrated the shampoo.

So I used 1/2 tsp lemon to 34 oz tap water.
    My shampoo was approx. 1 oz Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Shampoo to about 1 tsp coconut oil.
    I did not expect the coconut oil to make the shampoo runny, but it ended up being very watery.
    Last edited by girlcat36; October 14th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights