Page 7 of 420 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

I loved Ginger Rogers hair in all her movies i know she probably didn't look after it but, for anyone liking her hair here is a picture as i can't find any info http://www.retrohairstyles.com/1930s/gingerrogers.html

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by bunzfan View Post
    I loved Ginger Rogers hair in all her movies i know she probably didn't look after it but, for anyone liking her hair here is a picture as i can't find any info http://www.retrohairstyles.com/1930s/gingerrogers.html
    Yes, that website has been invaluable to this thread, with great pictures. I appreciate you trying to find information for this thread. Ginger Rogers was not blonde in all of her films. She was amazing!
    Last edited by ktani; October 12th, 2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Your very welcome i have always wondered how they got such beautiful hair.

Quote Originally Posted by bunzfan View Post
    Your very welcome i have always wondered how they got such beautiful hair.
    It appears that in a number of cases, such beautiful hair was easier to get than one may think. I was certainly surprised at the information I found.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I tried melting a bit of Holland and Barrett solid coconut oil - a lump about the size of half a greengage - and putting it into my palmful of Superdrug baby shampoo.

It worked remarkably well but I would rather try with liquid as the melting was a bit of a pain.

Last edited by Loviatar; November 11th, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: adding brand names
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Quote Originally Posted by Loviatar View Post
    I tried melting a bit of solid coconut oil - a lump about the size of half a greengage - and putting it into my palmful of baby shampoo.

It worked remarkably well but I would rather try with liquid as the melting was a bit of a pain.

The liquid may work just as well. I am glad to hear that the solid form worked so well for you though.

This may help with shampoo choices, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=164.
    Last edited by ktani; October 13th, 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Yesterday I went on a search for the PH test strips. Walmart and Walgreens didn't have them in the store. I then tried Bomaars which is a farm supply store plus other stuff. They carry it in the summer with pool supplies. So maybe when I get to a bigger town I can find a pool or fish supply store. So PH testing will have to wait.

Yesterday I did one of my regular CWC washes to get the excess oil out from the day before and to have a fresh start for the next time. I'm washing it with the "Movie star wash" later on this morning. A lot less oil and more of the shampoo. I'll report back what happens.

I am not here to decorate your world

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Yesterday I went on a search for the PH test strips. Walmart and Walgreens didn't have them in the store. I then tried Bomaars which is a farm supply store plus other stuff. They carry it in the summer with pool supplies. So maybe when I get to a bigger town I can find a pool or fish supply store. So PH testing will have to wait.

Yesterday I did one of my regular CWC washes to get the excess oil out from the day before and to have a fresh start for the next time. I'm washing it with the "Movie star wash" later on this morning. A lot less oil and more of the shampoo. I'll report back what happens.
    Sounds good! If you have the time you can check out local baby shampoos and see what the labels say. You may just find one that is acid balanced. In any case the pH of others is about 7.5 compared to a pH of 9 or higher of a liquid true soap.

Not all baby shampoos are very low lather either. Kids shampoos are another option, depending on the ingredients. I would choose a clear shampoo to do this with. The pearlescent ones tend to have waxy ingredients added to them, that while they may be somewhat conditioning may interfere with the coconut oil being absorbed into the hair better, which is what this is partly about.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Sounds good! If you have the time you can check out local baby shampoos and see what the labels say. You may just find one that is acid balanced. In any case the pH of others is about 7.5 compared to a pH of 9 or higher of a liquid true soap.

Not all baby shampoos are very low lather either. Kids shampoos are another option, depending on the ingredients. I would choose a clear shampoo to do this with. The pearlescent ones tend to have waxy ingredients added to them, that while they may be somewhat conditioning may interfere with the coconut oil being absorbed into the hair better, which is what this is partly about.
    I'm not a fan of baby shampoos just as I wasn't a fan of Dr Bronners. But I did try some California Baby shampoo once and it wasn't bad. I may be able to pick that up again for future washes. I think it was a light yellow clearish thing. It was not as yellow as the Johnsons Baby shampoo.

I am not here to decorate your world

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I'm not a fan of baby shampoos just as I wasn't a fan of Dr Bronners. But I did try some California Baby shampoo once and it wasn't bad. I may be able to pick that up again for future washes. I think it was a light yellow clearish thing. It was not as yellow as the Johnsons Baby shampoo.
    Baby shampoo is just one option of several. Any clear shampoo without too many extras is optimal in my opinion, for getting this to work well.