Page 128 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1409

Thread: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage

I'm having my roots done today, so I'll let you know about the results soon!
    ~ I was forever staring at the tender blue veins along the inside of my wrists; fragile twigs trapped under ice. ~

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora. View Post
    I'm having my roots done today, so I'll let you know about the results soon!
    Thank you! Good luck.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bigred199 View Post
    Just wanted to thank you all for your advice in this thread! I read a lot of it (not all, I'll admit; there's a lot of info here to digest). I hennaed my hair for the first time recently and took it way too dark on the very first try. Most of the info I could find about lightening henna wasn't real encouraging. The general consensus seemed to be henna is permanent, and that's that. Grow it out and cut it off. But since I'm not patient enough to do that, and honey lightening was too gradual for my impatient self, I decided to try and lighten with peroxide, following the advice in this thread. With success! I went from dark auburn to more of a copper color (my original goal) over the course of three applications of peroxide. I heavily oiled my hair with coconut and argan oils before each peroxide application, and there is no visible damage to my hair. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Good for you & what a relief that must be. I too lightened my hennaed hair recently but I will be careful next time to only do my roots. The first time I hennaed I *really* over-did and had some success getting some of the henna out sleeping with palin yogurt on my head 3 nights in a row. It was a mess, but it got some out, mostly because I started the yogurt treatment before the henna fully oxidized. I like henna very much, but it can be tricky!

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The results were great!
    I coated my hair from root to tip with coconut oil roughly an hour before going to the hairdressers (I didn't use too much though). The hairdresser only bleached my regrowth, but there has been no damage as far as I can see now. It feels exactly the same as it was before I got my roots bleached.

Thank you for sharing this helpful tip! I think my hair will be so grateful for coconut oil in the long run.
    ~ I was forever staring at the tender blue veins along the inside of my wrists; fragile twigs trapped under ice. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora. View Post
    The results were great!
    I coated my hair from root to tip with coconut oil roughly an hour before going to the hairdressers (I didn't use too much though). The hairdresser only bleached my regrowth, but there has been no damage as far as I can see now. It feels exactly the same as it was before I got my roots bleached.

Thank you for sharing this helpful tip! I think my hair will be so grateful for coconut oil in the long run.
    Great news and you are most welcome! I will add your results to the Reports Post II. ETA: Done!

Do not be afraid to do a heavy oiling and leave it on longer. Heavy oilings have been reported to yield even better results.
    Last edited by ktani; June 30th, 2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by bigred199 View Post
    Just wanted to thank you all for your advice in this thread! I read a lot of it (not all, I'll admit; there's a lot of info here to digest). I hennaed my hair for the first time recently and took it way too dark on the very first try. Most of the info I could find about lightening henna wasn't real encouraging. The general consensus seemed to be henna is permanent, and that's that. Grow it out and cut it off. But since I'm not patient enough to do that, and honey lightening was too gradual for my impatient self, I decided to try and lighten with peroxide, following the advice in this thread. With success! I went from dark auburn to more of a copper color (my original goal) over the course of three applications of peroxide. I heavily oiled my hair with coconut and argan oils before each peroxide application, and there is no visible damage to my hair. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I missed this post last night. Sorry about that.
    You are most welcome! I started this thread so that if (and it happened) my theory was right, people who prefer conventional peroxide and bleach could have some protection against damage. Those who have field tested the oils, given feed back and reported like most recently you, and Pandora I am indebted to. I will add your results to the Reports Post II as well. ETA: Done!
    Last edited by ktani; June 30th, 2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: ETA

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hi Ktani

First thanks for organising this mammoth thread.

I dyed my hair last night and I used coconut oil beforehand. I did a very heavy oiling, using solid virgin coconut oil from the health food store, then tied my hair up in a bun for an hour.

The dye was from Sally's and it was Goldwell 5B (Brasil) medium brown. My hair is naturally I think between level 5 or 6 and this was a level 5. I mixed 60ml dye with 60ml peroxide developer (6% or 20 vol.) and left it on for 30 minutes as instructed.

I had a lot of red in my hair and the colour did not turn out quite as dark/ash as I wanted it, it is very warm, but the condition of my hair is superb. You honestly would not know it had peroxide and chemical dye on it the night before. It is so shiny. I shampooed the dye mix out with a sodium coco sulphate shampoo just to make sure I had got it all out, and then conditioned with Aussie 3MM.

Finally when it was air drying I applied a tiny (maybe 5 millimetres across) blob of Frizz-Ease Thermal UV protector, which has cones, to my ends and lower length as I don't want my colour to fade.

I will never dye my hair without preoiling again, and I have told my girl friends on Facebook about this fab oil discovery.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Quote Originally Posted by Loviatar View Post
    Hi Ktani

First thanks for organising this mammoth thread.

I dyed my hair last night and I used coconut oil beforehand. I did a very heavy oiling, using solid virgin coconut oil from the health food store, then tied my hair up in a bun for an hour.

The dye was from Sally's and it was Goldwell 5B (Brasil) medium brown. My hair is naturally I think between level 5 or 6 and this was a level 5. I mixed 60ml dye with 60ml peroxide developer (6% or 20 vol.) and left it on for 30 minutes as instructed.

I had a lot of red in my hair and the colour did not turn out quite as dark/ash as I wanted it, it is very warm, but the condition of my hair is superb. You honestly would not know it had peroxide and chemical dye on it the night before. It is so shiny. I shampooed the dye mix out with a sodium coco sulphate shampoo just to make sure I had got it all out, and then conditioned with Aussie 3MM.

Finally when it was air drying I applied a tiny (maybe 5 millimetres across) blob of Frizz-Ease Thermal UV protector, which has cones, to my ends and lower length as I don't want my colour to fade.

I will never dye my hair without preoiling again, and I have told my girl friends on Facebook about this fab oil discovery.
    Thank you so much!! And you are most welcome!

I am so pleased that you are so pleased with your results.

I will add your results to Reports Post II. ETA: done!

You can add pure argan oil to the coconut oil too.

The "condensed " version of this thread is in my blog, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...nnovative.html
    Last edited by ktani; July 9th, 2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: ETA

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Hi Ktani I have to add my updated report here:

As you know, I recently tried coconut pre-oiling but did not do the method correctly as I did not clarify. My results were good hair condition, but the dye did not take well. Recently, I tried again and this time I made sure that I clarified my hair, did not use conditioner and put the coconut oil on scalp and hair 3 hours before coloring. I was only doing my roots with a light ash blonde colour that I've used before (blending in some silvers), but I found that the dye did not take hardly at all on the silvers The condition of my hair is great though.

I don't really know what went wrong. I'm going to try again, but I'm not sure whether to use more oil, less oil, argan oil only, a mix of argan/coconut......??? Any suggestions? The amount of oil I used last time was about medium (so hair wasn't soaked, but you could definitely tell it had oil in it).

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    Hi Ktani I have to add my updated report here:

As you know, I recently tried coconut pre-oiling but did not do the method correctly as I did not clarify. My results were good hair condition, but the dye did not take well. Recently, I tried again and this time I made sure that I clarified my hair, did not use conditioner and put the coconut oil on scalp and hair 3 hours before coloring. I was only doing my roots with a light ash blonde colour that I've used before (blending in some silvers), but I found that the dye did not take hardly at all on the silvers The condition of my hair is great though.

I don't really know what went wrong. I'm going to try again, but I'm not sure whether to use more oil, less oil, argan oil only, a mix of argan/coconut......??? Any suggestions? The amount of oil I used last time was about medium (so hair wasn't soaked, but you could definitely tell it had oil in it).
    You did everything right in terms of clarifying and timing. It may be though that CO'ing has left you with more residue than one clarifying can remove. I am glad to hear that the condition of your hair is great.

Heavy coconut oilings (which can include argan oil) have been reported to increase dye uptake, not impede it at all. The idea is to saturate the hair with the oil(s). If you want to try both oils I would use a heavy coconut oiling first for about an hour or more then apply argan oil on top of that for another hour or so.

I would scalp wash perhaps more than once, clarifying if your clarifyier is not harsh or use a shampoo for normal hair a few days before you colour again and only use a bit of coconut oil to condition the roots not conditioner, until you colour, then apply more coconut oil to saturate the hair when you are ready to dye that area.

Argan oil can make the skin sun sensitive, so keep it off the scalp until you are ready to pre-treat before using the dye and use pure cosmetic argan oil which is lighter in colour than the food oil and you will not risk adding a red tinge to your ash tone. There are pictures of the colour differences between argan cosmetic and food oils in this post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=407.

Check the labels of the coconut oil and the argan oil you intend to use to make sure that they are not blends or contain anything other than the pure oil. Coconut oil that was used blended with shea butter or jojoba oil (they were added in by the users) were reported to yield less dye uptake and lightening, although the condition of the hair was still good afterward.

Both jojoba oil and shea butter coat the hair (impeding dye uptake and lightening like a conditioner can as well as not being able to chelate iron and copper like coconut and argan oils) and do not allow the coconut oil to penetrate the hair as well as it can used on its own. When pure coconut and argan oils were used in second attempts (different reports), dye uptake and lightening were reported to be excellent.

Refined coconut oil is ok to use. However, it depends on the refining process used. There is a discussion on that here on this page, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...10495&page=125. FrannyG's latest results post, referred to on that page, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1234.

Some of the reports on grey hair coverage and dye uptake
    "I'm pleased with the results; and really do believe it miimizes damage." "I also find that this process seems to help the color grab the greys better." Linda, Report #1

"I couldn't be happier with the results..... my roots were VERY noticeable.....DARK brown (almost black) and TONS of grays......and I DID have coconut oil on my hair all the way up, including the scalp.It was completely saturated, and the dye uptake does not seem to be affected at all." Dolly, Report #18

"I am happy to report that a pre-treatment of argan and coconut oils seems to have prevented damage from conventional hair dye, and actually improved dye uptake. .... There was no noticeable dye runoff after this second wash, which has never happened before. Usually my hair would bleed color for several washes." chickpea, Report #32

35. Dolly, coconut oil as a pre-treatment on previously dyed hair, 3rd treatment of a heavy oiling, consistant results with her last 2 reports, #'s 18 and 26, increased dye uptake, no damage reported, no post colouring dryness - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1175, confirmation of no damage, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1177, results on using a pre-treatment of coconut oil and the need to trim following colouring, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1180, further clarification on how hair colour affected her hair and more details on her first report here, Report #7 - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1182, verification of increased dye uptake - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1200, summary on pre-oiling and damage - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1064

38. shadowclaw, coconut oil as a pre-treatment before permanent colour, on previously dyed hair, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1158

40. Dolly, a heavy coconut oiling as a pre-treatment before permanent colour, left on for only only 30 minutes with optimal results, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1154

41. CrystalTips, a heavy overnight coconut pre-treatment before a root touch-up and low lights with semi-permantent colour, - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1196, - condition of the hair - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1205, - pictures - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1208
    Last edited by ktani; July 10th, 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added links and text