Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desperately seeking no red!

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Desperately seeking no red!

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Cassia is pH sensitive and can and has been reported to add red tones and go brassy on hair, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=13332
    Wow, that's pretty interesting, Ktani! Thanks for sharing

So an acidic mix is the best to get the golden tones from cassia...I read through the whole post you mentioned..did I get that right?

Length
    Pixie/SL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Ktani,

I'm re-reading through the whole thread again (not just the original poster's problem) & my head is spinning. You posted a lot of great info. I didn't realize cassia could be so complex when you add other ingredients to the mix.

I hope I didn't sound like a witch in my previous post, I'm just so frustrated. Years of using commercial dye, trying to henna, etc. to get back to no red tone look. I'm not expecting to go completely back to the way my virgin hair looked, I just want to start with a new coloring routine that works for me.

I wish I never dyed my hair.

Length
    <BSL/WAIST/hip?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

How about indigo or hennigo?
    yay

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

I heard that there are some good all natural hair colors at places like Whole Foods. I have dark hair and use henna but now have some buxus to tone down the brassiness. I don't want orange grays either.

Lady Dawn Nova Painter of Souls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/SL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post

So an acidic mix is the best to get the golden tones from cassia...I read through the whole post you mentioned..did I get that right?
    This could work for me. But I read that adding lemon juice (like the method Catherine at henna for hair recommends) has been a disaster for people. Orange juice could cause more orange/reddish tones, correct?

I need to understand what is meant by "golden". I know perceptions will vary, but when I think of gold, I think of how gold looks in cartoons, or those "invest in gold" commercials. In that case, I would love that....I don't see any red in gold.

But how it will work on my grays?

How will it work on my overly dyed dark brown/reddish hair?
    (Strand test is probably the only answer, but I wanted to ask anyway )

I'm not too concerned now about how dark my hair is. I want it changed, yea, but I will not bleach ever again, & I'm even too scared to try colorfix. I'll just live with it, let it fade, & maybe do some honey lightening.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post

Acidic mixes can yield gold to red depending on how acidic.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post
    Ktani,

I'm re-reading through the whole thread again (not just the original poster's problem) & my head is spinning. You posted a lot of great info. I didn't realize cassia could be so complex when you add other ingredients to the mix.

I hope I didn't sound like a witch in my previous post, I'm just so frustrated. Years of using commercial dye, trying to henna, etc. to get back to no red tone look. I'm not expecting to go completely back to the way my virgin hair looked, I just want to start with a new coloring routine that works for me.

I wish I never dyed my hair.
    You sounded just fine. I understand your frustration. I was just trying to let you know that cassia is not necessarily that simple to work with. There were reports of blondes having problems with it over time going brassy and it was not that easy to correct. Honey lightening was able to resolve the problem for some people.

You can use cassia. Just do not add anything to it that is very acidic like undiluted honey or orange juice. I am not sure about amla. Patch testing is best. You can do that on shed hair without consequences.

Length
    Pixie/SL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks Ktani!

I ordered some cassia this morning. I'll experiment when I have enough grays.

Now to get some hair accessories, like scarfs & hats, I might need them, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post
    Thanks Ktani!

I ordered some cassia this morning. I'll experiment when I have enough grays.

Now to get some hair accessories, like scarfs & hats, I might need them, LOL!
    You are most welcome!

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    Commercial dye gave you red tones

they dont! unless you choose a red shade.

your hair naturally has colors under the color you see, its called your DURP (dominate underlying remaining pigment). just like when someone bleaches their hair it goes through the stages of decolorization... like this.

(sorry about the size)
    its in everyone's hair naturally.

/end todays hair lesson rant.