PDA

View Full Version : Pixie to waist - anyone done it?

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Quick question and I apologise profusely if this has been asked before.
For those of you who had a short cut - and I mean short short, not a bob! - and then grew it out to BSL or beyond, how long did it take you?

I know how long hair takes to grow on average, but I am just interested to know how many years it took you and if you have pictures, even better!

I am growing mine out at the moment and am finding it hard. I am going through a very difficult patch and my hair looks atrocious. I think I need a little inspiration! :)

akilina
August 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I am sorry I have nothing to really offer you except for one of my favorite long hair inspirations :)
It is a link to a tumblr page.

http://fu**yeahgirlswithsexyhair.tumblr.com/

However....you will have to replace the ** with C and K.

There are some beautifulllll pictures in there :] When I want to chop, I love to browse this one. I keep it in my favorites.

elbow chic
August 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
About seven years. I didn't do it all in one go-- there were some over zealous trims/cuts in there, looking back, but I was always trying to grow it out. Got to about APL before LHC came along.

Clarify: I mean seven years from pixie to waist. To APL was maybe three years? Then I got stuck between APL and BSL for a couple years for lack of good info, then got to waist.

didn't really love all the various stages but once I got past shoulder it wasn't so bad. Hang in there. ;)

Seeshami
August 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
5 years with probably 10 to 13 inches sacrificed to trims

KAggs
August 28th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I had a pixie cut in June 2010. I didn't like it after a month and have been growing it out since. Now, as of August 2012, it's at APL. It's an awkward growing-out process that I don't want to deal with for a long time. Once it becomes a bob, you're set!

kitcatsmeow
August 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I've done it although it was almost 10 years ago and I was probably more MBL. About 3 years. My hair grows fast

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
The cutting takes minutes but the growing takes years.
I can hand on heart say I will never have a pixie again. I've done it, tried it, never again.

I am a long haired girl woman through and through

Nae
August 28th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I previous member here went from a shaved head to knee in ten years. I don't know if that helps.

browneyedsusan
August 28th, 2012, 11:48 AM
For those of you who had a short cut - and I mean short short, not a bob! - and then grew it out to BSL or beyond, how long did it take you?

I know how long hair takes to grow on average, but I am just interested to know how many years it took you and if you have pictures, even better!

I am growing mine out at the moment and am finding it hard. I am going through a very difficult patch and my hair looks atrocious. I think I need a little inspiration! :)

I am with you. See my siggy for current atrociousness...:D
I pin up the front/top every stinking day, and lurk in the braids and hairdos sections of the forum like a professional stalker. I have about 3 ways to pin back my hair that look okay for going out in public, and a ponytail is on my wish list for the New Year.

We will get there. We just have to wait it out.

jillosity
August 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I gave myself a pixie back in 2005 to get back to my virgin color and grew to BSL within 2 years. The awkwardness was off the charts for what seemed an eternity, once it began to barely touch my shoulders, I would use about 15 bobby pins to to put my hair "up"! :D

I am dealing with ultra-weird henndigoed hair right now, I ended up with a 3 inch wide jet black band of hair that hasn't budged or softened a bit despite several months of intensive removal techniques. So I'm essentially at pixie length too, I'd cut it in a minute except for the growing pains. But I keep thinking that I have never really grown my hair without color treating it in some way and I want to see how long it will grow.

spidermom
August 28th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Five years from this
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/SHORT.jpg
to BSL
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2006.jpg

With LOTS of trims.

lapushka
August 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't have a pixie, but I did have a longish bob (between chin and shoulder) and it took me about 3 years (between 2 & 3) to reach hip.

jeanniet
August 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I haven't had a very short cut in some years, but I grew chin to waist in about two years, and a pixie would have taken probably another year. So I'd say 3-4 years, but my hair tends to grow very fast when it's short.

Eden_Rayn
August 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I did it when I was ten in three years. You can say I forgot the pain of growing out and got a pixie again this year. Now I'm back to growing out.

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
About 3 years ago most of my hair was layered near my chin. My hair is now approximately 1 inch from TBL if not stretched. I have had a few trims along the way.

Bunnysaur
August 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
i had a pixie about a year ago, and now I'm a little past APL, looking at BSL within 4-8 months.

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I love reading these! It really helps!

BrownEyedSusan your post made me laugh out loud. I may have to do a bit of stalking myself.

Having got rid of my very blonde colour and now with very weird tufty scarecrow hair in a shade of browny red, I feel the most dowdy and unattractive that I have in a very very long time. I almost feel invisible. Actually being invisible would be better....

faithsdaisy421
August 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I did it in 4. Some stages were quite awkward, but so worth it in the end...

Nae
August 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It is complicated to anticipate how long it will take somebody to get to a certain marker because there are so many variables.

-Height
-Tendency of hair to split
-Hair growth
-Frequency of trims

Best of luck, you will get there....eventually!!! ;)

neko_kawaii
August 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I had my hair cut to about pixie length May of 2008 and when I noticed it again July 2011 it was waist length. So three years for me. I have pictures in the header of my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=40324). That was three years of benign neglect with no trims so I did have to cut a few inches off to remove the split prone ends.

The thing that got me through the irritating stage where it was too short to braid (my hair wont stay in a pony to save its life) was a bandana tied at the nape. I just hid it all and didn't spend any more time thinking about it, hehe.

SerinaDaith
August 28th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I had my hair cut to about pixie length May of 2008 and when I noticed it again July 2011 it was waist length. So three years for me. I have pictures in the header of my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=40324). That was three years of benign neglect with no trims so I did have to cut a few inches off to remove the split prone ends.

The thing that got me through the irritating stage where it was too short to braid (my hair wont stay in a pony to save its life) was a bandana tied at the nape. I just hid it all and didn't spend any more time thinking about it, hehe.

My hair will pony but I am already seeing breakage from doing ponytails all the time, I am still too short to braid so putting it in a scarf or dew rag may well be my best bet! Thank you for posting this!

SerinaDaith
August 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Oh and I chopped my hair past pixie all the way to 1/4 inch short, all of it. I took clippers to it and mowed it all of in one go. Then someone warned me about thr mullet look so I spent from January of 10 to May of 12 chopping layers out of fear. Now here I sit with a nice blunt hairline but only shoulder length hair to show for it. I wish I had ignored her "advice".

browneyedsusan
August 28th, 2012, 04:50 PM
BrownEyedSusan your post made me laugh out loud. I may have to do a bit of stalking myself.

I feel the most dowdy and unattractive that I have in a very very long time. I almost feel invisible. Actually being invisible would be better....

Glad I could give you some relief! Fortunately, I love my henna, so the color makes me happy even if the rest is completely horrible. Teenage DD wanted me to take her to town a few days ago, but then gave me a look. :disgust: I asked her what was going on, and she said," Your hair is super awkward...." (It was down.) I pinned it up, and she decided she could be seen with me. :p

I pin it up quickly, and don't look at it any more than I have to, but I really like that bandana idea! I plan to have a personal party for how far I have come over this super-hot summer in a few days. (What was I thinking trying to grow out a pixie in the summer?!? Too short for a pony stub, and too long to be remotely cute or comfortable....:doh:)

kdaniels8811
August 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I am at APL after exactly two years of growing out from bald and expect to be back to waist in another two years. Hope that helps! I am not trimming and am embracing my different lengths and fairy tale ends. Good luck to you, there is lots of support while growing here.

hairconvictions
August 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I had a pixie cut in Nov 2009 and I never cut it, even to trim. And now I am 1-2 inches away from waist :)

Delila
August 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
If you do a thread title search using just the word pixie, lots of discussions come up.

Guess it's not that unusual here. :)

As for me, yeah, I've grown from pixie to mid-thigh over the last ten or twelve years.

The slowest bit was the years when I relied on a stylist for my trims. Getting to shoulder took forever, but so did growing out my bangs.

I actually avoided forums like this while I was doing that bit, I didn't want to obsess about it.

Didn't really start posting here until I got brave enough to try my first self trim.

Self trims (and being able to control how much length I lost at any given time) were a big help in gaining length.

dulce
August 28th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I had a dyed pixie almost 4 years ago, had several trims, went silver, grew to hip [took 3 years] then cut back to waist this year[4th year] and am now regrowing.I have curly hair,had lots of layers and scrunched till APL,then continued to grow my length and grow out my layers ,it's now all one length.

healormor
August 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
It took me approximatly 4 years to go from pixie to waist, including about 6 inches in trims during that time.

RubyTuesday
August 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Maybe benign neglect is the way to go to get my long hair back. I too, shall be staying away from hairdressers and embracing fairy ends.

firevegan
August 29th, 2012, 05:26 AM
to the girl who reached neck length to hip in 3 years.....wow!!!!!! that's inspiring.

Ashlbee
September 17th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I had a chin length shag I maintained for years. Then, one fateful day it got butcher by a stylist (my own fault, that's what happens when you go to a 'school'). I decided that day, long hair means no accidental horrible cuts and started growing out. That was back in mid 20010. The nape of my hair was maybe 2 inches? Now my hair is BSL. So, 2 years for me to get that much.

AnqeIicDemise
September 18th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Its taken me about six years or so to grow it form pixie to 2 inches from TB. Then again, I've had a lot of hair cuts in between, bad trims, bad cuts.. you name it. I've been seriously growing out my hair for about two years now and its gone from shoulder length to where it is now.

And its taken that long because of a few bad cuts and having to trim out damage.

Elanadi
September 18th, 2012, 01:20 AM
5 years from pixie to classic. I am not terribly fashion-conscious, though, so I just suffered through the growing out of the layers, which is the worst part (and shoulder length, ugh). At first, I tucked my hair behind my ears. Then I did the two half-up pony tails (love those.) The SECOND I could get my hair in a pony, that's where it went. As soon as it was longer, I did the pony pulled through, so it kept it off my neck. Once my hair hit somewhere past shoulder, I did one chop to cut off some of the layers. A second chop occurred sometime after that, and that was the last cut. Once it gets past BSL, I do a mini trim about once ever year or so, and that's it. (I'm VERY lucky to not be prone to split ends!!) The secret, IMHO, to growing out hair is to be resigned to the crappy periods where your hair doesn't look awesome, and to just suffer through them, and learn how to put your hair up the second it's long enough (so you aren't as aware that it's not awesome :laugh:) The grow out time is kinda like pregnancy - painful at the time, but you forget it as soon as you are through it. I'm currently on my third grow out from short; the first two times were pixie to waist and classic; this time was a chin length inverted bob. TOTALLY worth the pain. :)

browneyedsusan
September 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM
5 years from pixie to classic. I am not terribly fashion-conscious, though, so I just suffered through the growing out of the layers, which is the worst part (and shoulder length, ugh). At first, I tucked my hair behind my ears. Then I did the two half-up pony tails (love those.) The SECOND I could get my hair in a pony, that's where it went. As soon as it was longer, I did the pony pulled through, so it kept it off my neck. Once my hair hit somewhere past shoulder, I did one chop to cut off some of the layers. A second chop occurred sometime after that, and that was the last cut. Once it gets past BSL, I do a mini trim about once ever year or so, and that's it. (I'm VERY lucky to not be prone to split ends!!) The secret, IMHO, to growing out hair is to be resigned to the crappy periods where your hair doesn't look awesome, and to just suffer through them, and learn how to put your hair up the second it's long enough (so you aren't as aware that it's not awesome :laugh:) The grow out time is kinda like pregnancy - painful at the time, but you forget it as soon as you are through it. I'm currently on my third grow out from short; the first two times were pixie to waist and classic; this time was a chin length inverted bob. TOTALLY worth the pain. :)

Thanks for sharing! I've been taking the same approach. (Currently putting hair up daily and acting like it's awesome! :lala:)

terylenerose
September 18th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I chopped my hair into something one might call a pixie or a shag in April of 2011. It was 3-5 inches all over and not especially even. Now, 17 months and a few trims later, I'm at BSL stretched. I'll probably get to waist late next year at the earliest.
I hope that helps you in some way. Enjoy your hair journey! :)

HairFaerie
September 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Ohhhh! Ohhhhh! This is my favorite subject!
It most certainly can be done if you don't give up hope! I did it once and attempted it two more times last year. I failed those two times because I kept getting frustrated at shoulder and cut it back to pixie again. This is my third attempt this year and I am bound and determined to do it! I did it once, I can do it again!

Here is the proof:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AQ_Z85kKnHw/UFiaThCLPlI/AAAAAAAAAGY/au64eNWkS-k/s1600/PixieToBSL.jpg
I did have a few cuts in between to shape it up/get rid of damage on the ends. Now that I look back, three years isn't so bad! I sooooooo wish I didn't cut it.
Now, if I can only get through the shoulder slump this time...I want this hair back!!! :)

(Also, if anyone is interested, in my albums is a month by month pic documentation of pixie to shoulder that I attempted twice this year.)

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ohhhh! Ohhhhh! This is my favorite subject!
It most certainly can be done if you don't give up hope! I did it once and attempted it two more times last year. I failed those two times because I kept getting frustrated at shoulder and cut it back to pixie again. This is my third attempt this year and I am bound and determined to do it! I did it once, I can do it again!

Here is the proof:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AQ_Z85kKnHw/UFiaThCLPlI/AAAAAAAAAGY/au64eNWkS-k/s1600/PixieToBSL.jpg
I did have a few cuts in between to shape it up/get rid of damage on the ends. Now that I look back, three years isn't so bad! I sooooooo wish I didn't cut it.
Now, if I can only get through the shoulder slump this time...I want this hair back!!! :)

(Also, if anyone is interested, in my albums is a month by month pic documentation of pixie to shoulder that I attempted twice this year.)

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! I will go check out your photos now. My hair was as short as yours so we started from the same point. You are a lovely colour short or long, but the long hair catches the light and shines more.

The difference between us is that I looked awful with a pixie and will never EVER repeat that mistake ever again. Shudder. There is no temptation for me to cut.

My layers are depressing me at the moment. I am hoping that I will look more human after Christmas and will be over the worst, but that is debatable.

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM

It took me a year and a half to get to BSL. Microtrims every four months, and a LOT of bad hair days.

HairFaerie
September 18th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Glad I could help!
I am currently in between pixie and bob. It isn't so bad. I am dreading approaching shoulder. That's when I cave and cut back to pixie. I am going to use every ounce of will power I have this time on order to get past shoulder! :)
Good luck with your journey!

RubyTuesday
September 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I never truly understood a bad hair day until growing out a pixie :eek:

KrissyKitty
September 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm working on it! I got a pixie Feb. 2011, and now, Sep. 2012, I am just reaching collarbone. My goal is waist and I'm expecting another 2 and a half years before I get there. But my growth is relatively slow, and I get regular trims. I like looking very well groomed, so for me, keeping my hair styled is important. I trimmed that mullet off on the regular.

auroraclio
September 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm going on 3 years and i'm not even at BSL yet, i've had lots of trims along the way though. :-)

seven77
September 18th, 2012, 04:14 PM
In March 2008 I had a pretty short a-line pixie.. by March 2012 it was waist-length.. then I chopped it all off :'( so I'd say 4 years.

PossibleMermaid
September 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm growing out a pixie as well and I feel super lucky that my hair grows like a weed. I needed monthly trims to keep my pixie well-shaped, and now after two months I'm already pretty shaggy and thick again.

Here's how it started out:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/547448_2745973859081_104193544_n.jpg

And I don't have a current picture, and my hair is derpy today, but my longer front pieces are already dipping down into jaw and my mullet in the back is collar length. Hoping to maybe bob it by Christmas, but that's probably a little ambitious. My goal is waist but I hope I can get there within a few short years, maybe with just micro trims along the way? I share this frustration with you, my friend, I wish hair grew as fast it took to cut it!

Quixotica
September 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I went from a 1/4" pixie to *almost* waist in 3 years and change. However, my hair grows crazy fast. :)

Quixotica
September 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Ohhhh, isn't that the truth! There was quite a span of time where I didn't even want to go out of the house, haha. It's all worth it, though!

beautifulending
September 18th, 2012, 11:59 PM
well I didn't quite make it to waist because I cut back to shoulder length but if I hadn't cut my hair back in June, it would had only taken me 2 years from pixie to waist.

RubyTuesday
September 19th, 2012, 05:50 AM
well I didn't quite make it to waist because I cut back to shoulder length but if I hadn't cut my hair back in June, it would had only taken me 2 years from pixie to waist.

Crikey. 2 years from pixie to waist? I can only dream of that. You lucky lady.

browneyedsusan
September 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Ain't that the truth!
:rolling: Those first months where you look like you desperately need a haircut are the WORST!

dragonfly90
September 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I went from a 1/4" pixie to *almost* waist in 3 years and change. However, my hair grows crazy fast. :)

That gives me a bit of hope. I shaved my head a month ago and am *so* not loving it! Granted, I was only at a long pixie when I made the fateful decision, but still.

mermaid74
September 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
That gives me a bit of hope. I shaved my head a month ago and am *so* not loving it! Granted, I was only at a long pixie when I made the fateful decision, but still.

Three years isn't so bad! I am 1 year in...2 left...my final goal will be hip! I HOPE i can make it!!! Waiting is the hardest part for me.

mermaid74
September 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Ain't that the truth!
:rolling: Those first months where you look like you desperately need a haircut are the WORST!

This is my 4th time growing out a pixie. Hopefully I learned my lesson. Finally. Also ... the mullet, dumpy stage...is by far the worst. My second least favorite I am in right now...im at the flip. It is my second least favorite because my hair is so thick, the flip stage does not let me do much.

hime_daruma_88
September 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I had a pixie cut, like 2 inches long hair with sides below my cheekbone. It was in the summer 2008 when I started to grow it long. At shoulder length I cut some heavy layering. I have been trimming every once in a while, 2-3 times a year to keep the ends in decent condition (bleach damage) and to fade the layers out. And now I'm at waist. The longest layers are 31 inches. :)

Oh, and I don't have a clue how much I have trimmed, but at shoulder length I bleached all of my hair really light, and now I only have tops 8cm bleach left on the tips!

Elanadi
September 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I can't find my pixie pics, but I found a pic of my first "chop"; I grew the pixie until the shorter layers were a few inches above chin, and I cut it all to chin length so that I had less layers. I don't like the shaggy shaggy look of a pixie grown out without that chop on me, my face doesn't look good at all with that cut. I'm not posting the chop pic, it's from a bodybuilding contest and a. was in the bodybuilding thread in off topic and b. isn't really appropriate here. :laugh:

redsonjared
September 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM
The slowest bit was the years when I relied on a stylist for my trims. Getting to shoulder took forever, but so did growing out my bangs.

I actually avoided forums like this while I was doing that bit, I didn't want to obsess about it.

Didn't really start posting here until I got brave enough to try my first self trim.

Self trims (and being able to control how much length I lost at any given time) were a big help in gaining length.

I think you are right about stylists slowing things down. I have been going to mine over the last 18 months and have decided to stop and just do micro trims. Whilst he promises only to "dust" in reality he takes of more than I want plus he cuts into my hair which just makes the layers hang around for even longer. Hopefully growth will speed up now

My second least favorite I am in right now...im at the flip. It is my second least favorite because my hair is so thick, the flip stage does not let me do much.

I'm at flip stage as well - mainly because of layers, at least I can twist it up with a hair stick now.

Tota
September 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
This is me in summer 2008 just after my pixie cut:

http://shrani.si/f/3x/MH/3klip8sh/photo-0127.jpg

This is my hair this summer:

http://shrani.si/f/3N/kT/2vlmXT0t/11052012.jpg

4 years! It's not waist yet, but I'm getting there, hopefully this year :) It took me this long because I cut off one year's growth to get rid of dyed hair.

beautifulending
September 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Crikey. 2 years from pixie to waist? I can only dream of that. You lucky lady.

Yeah I was blessed with fast hair growth.:D I cut back to shoulder length in june and I am 1 1/2ins away from APL now. :cool:

Quixotica
September 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Hang in there!!! Lots of patience, treat it well, and become best friends with S & D sessions :)

Ceylyn
September 19th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I got essentially a buzz cut back in early '05. Mullet-stage was a little horrendous, but since when it was that short, it tended to flip out, so it usually ended up looking pretty cute. I think I hit waist by late '08, TB by mid-'10. My last (major) cut-back was then, two years ago, a foot and a half off, and I've grown it back since. Only joined LHC not too long ago (A few months... I'm a little bit of a lurker, I'm shy. But learning a lot about how to properly treat my hair! Mostly learning that.... my formerly daily ponytails were bad bad baaad.)

So, in short, it took me about three years or so to hit waist from pixie, another year and a half for tailbone.

kittengirl
September 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for sharing! I've been taking the same approach. (Currently putting hair up daily and acting like it's awesome! :lala:)
I just had to say, my hair was almost exactly like your when I started growing out, maybe even a bit shorter, and now it's at APL two years later, with trims. I had to trim because I only really started growing it this January, so I let a stylist thin it, because she thought it would be easier to deal with. :confused: Now I know better. But I have been where you are and I am happily progressing to wl!

anitacs9101
September 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
This may not be that accurate since I used to get a haircut every 7 weeks and I only lessened cuts about a year ago and stopped in April or something. So keep that in mind lol :p

But anyway, I cut to a pixie on April 27th, 2010:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/april20102_zps75105068.jpg
2 years and 4 months later and I'm at nearly waist, and that's with frequent trims in the first year+, as I said. I took this pic just now, the cord is tied around my waist:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/10sep20th2012_zps08cc93f7.jpg
I suppose I gain about 1 inch a month. I gained I guess 1 1/2-2 inches since July 25th, 2 months ago, when I posted this pic:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Untitled.jpg
In this pic, it looks like I have about 2 inches till waist, and I haven't slicked back my current length yet but when I do I'm pretty sure I'll be at or verrrryyy close to waist but to be safe I'll say I gained "1 1/2-2 inches" xD (ETA: I did in fact hit waist :DDD Yayyy!)

The growing process was a big pain for me. It NEVER felt like it was actually long until I hit around BSL, and that wasn't until a couple months ago. There were many times when I just wanted to give up and go back to the pixie I had been rocking for so long, but now that I'm here I'm so glad I didn't do that!

browneyedsusan
September 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I just had to say, my hair was almost exactly like your when I started growing out, maybe even a bit shorter, and now it's at APL two years later, with trims. I had to trim because I only really started growing it this January, so I let a stylist thin it, because she thought it would be easier to deal with. :confused: Now I know better. But I have been where you are and I am happily progressing to wl!

Thanks, KittenGirl! My hair was shorter when I started growing, but I don't have any pictures. My May siggy is after 6 or 8 weeks of "growth", and it felt SO shaggy at the time! I don't know how long I'll grow it yet. I've never done it before!

HairFaerie
September 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
This thread is very inspiring! I know I did it before but when you are at an awkward in-between pixie and bob stage, it just seems like it is unattainable! I know patience is the key but I also am a sucker for hair products and supplements! And let's not forget about the Hair Faeries! :)

Kiwiwi
September 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I cut my hair to pixie (about 1cm) in june 2009.
Now, just a bit over 3 years later I am past BSL but not yet waist (almost! :D)
I think in total I trimmed about 2,5 inches all together in those 3 years.
I am an average to slow grower.

Arachnid
September 22nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
I've not been growing mine out for very long and i have my 1st cut next week which will hopfully cut out the rest of my layers (alsost 3" of growth :( ) and after that i' going to see how long i can resist the need to trim.
I'm also growing out my fringe which is nose length and just will not pin back!!(must resit cutting :meditate: )

I pin up the front/top every stinking day, and lurk in the braids and hairdos sections of the forum like a professional stalker. I have about 3 ways to pin back my hair that look okay for going out in public, and a ponytail is on my wish list for the New Year.

We will get there. We just have to wait it out.

Until I have the length to put my hair up i think i'll take a page from browneyedsusan's book and rifle through all the pics of the beautiful braids i'll one-day be able to do. :D

Bonny
September 22nd, 2012, 07:06 AM
Here's my progress from pixie in 2007 to waist in 2010. I had my stylist trim it a lot in the first year or two, to keep it from looking too mullety.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=871&pictureid=85419

XcaliburGirl
September 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I started at pixie in summer 2011. Now I'm right at the shoulder/flip/collarbone stage. For some reason, I have a love/hate relationship with this stage. I actually like the length itself, but I hate that I feel like I've been growing so long but have so much longer to wait. It makes me want to cut off two inches and just maintain here at shoulder length to avoid the stress. The siren song of long hair keeps calling me, though. The best thing to do is just wait it out or get a small trim, I guess. I don't know why doing nothing is so difficult.

Pumpkin
September 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
I started growing mine in December 2008 from a very short pixie (picture in my album). I do my own trims and maybe have taken off 4 inches total since 2010. My avatar is my latest picture. It was taken in late August. One thing this journey has taught me is patience!!

Charybdis
September 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
It took me about 3 years to go from pixie to waist, with several trims to shape things in the first year. I don't have any good pics (this was years and years ago), but my growth progression was very much like Bonny's above. It *can* be done!

oktobergoud
September 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
This may not be that accurate since I used to get a haircut every 7 weeks and I only lessened cuts about a year ago and stopped in April or something. So keep that in mind lol :p

But anyway, I cut to a pixie on April 27th, 2010:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/april20102_zps75105068.jpg
2 years and 4 months later and I'm at nearly waist, and that's with frequent trims in the first year+, as I said. I took this pic just now, the cord is tied around my waist:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/10sep20th2012_zps08cc93f7.jpg
I suppose I gain about 1 inch a month. I gained I guess 1 1/2-2 inches since July 25th, 2 months ago, when I posted this pic:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Untitled.jpg
In this pic, it looks like I have about 2 inches till waist, and I haven't slicked back my current length yet but when I do I'm pretty sure I'll be at or verrrryyy close to waist but to be safe I'll say I gained "1 1/2-2 inches" xD (ETA: I did in fact hit waist :DDD Yayyy!)

The growing process was a big pain for me. It NEVER felt like it was actually long until I hit around BSL, and that wasn't until a couple months ago. There were many times when I just wanted to give up and go back to the pixie I had been rocking for so long, but now that I'm here I'm so glad I didn't do that!

Woah your hair sure grows fast! Very nice :)

alittleprincess
September 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Starting from a pixie it took me about 2.5 years to get to BSL. Now I'm at three years since pixie and still about 3 inches from waist (I'm not sure since I'm trying really hard not to measure so as not to drive myself crazy, but it's about a hand's width away) During this time, I've trimmed a half inch every 4-6 months. If you're in the atrocious phase, that means you're almost to the smooth sailing part! I swear! Hang in there :)

DinaAG
September 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
two years now till its in the avatar's length

MinderMutsig
September 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
I had nearly a buzzcut in 2006. I'm now just past BSL at 29" but I did have trims in between to avoid the mullet and even out the hemline.

mzBANGBANG
September 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
I shaved my head in 2007 and would have reached waist in 2011 if it weren't for all the bleaching I did. After damage control, I should reach waist by the end of the year. So as long as you don't get bored with your natural texture and color, you should have a smooth ride :)

Wahinee
September 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
I had 1 inch of hair in may 09, reached waist length may 12.

Monica04
September 23rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
I am currently growing out a short cut...it is sort of a layered bob now. I cut the dye off in May to reveal my brown hair with silver streaks. Although I am loving the freedom of my authentic hair....I really hate this growing out phase...I can finally make a small ponytail which my kids laugh at...:). I went to a George Michael salon to get advice about growing mine out to waist length and she told me about 3 years...Ugh...more transition to come. I will be 52 when all of this is said and done.

mrs_coffee
September 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
I just hit BSL recently and started growing my pixie in September 2010. I have progress pictures in my blog, though it's definitely overdue for an update.

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
mm well it might not help but there was a member here with the name Igor as her sn and she went from like buzz cut(or maybe like 1 inch of hair) and shes now at her knees or calves. i think she posted a timeline with dates and pictures of when she hit certain points(which includes buzzcut-classic i think), its in the archives where i found her photos once. very awesome! but it does take some time to grow from a short cut to like waist! maybe around 3 years?
2-3 years seems right, 3-4 years with trims probably.

Milui Elenath
September 24th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Six years for me - many years ago. I don't have pics but I wouldn't share them anyway I hated my pixie from the second I was talked into it. There are alot of beautiful lengths in between to enjoy on the journey to waist and even though I would not go short ever again, I enjoyed my hair once it reached shoulder length and that would have been no more than a year later.

ETA I probably had trims - I don't remember.

Soulina
September 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM
My mother went from really short pixie shortes ware less than 0,25 inch. Longest were less than 2inch. Now she has shoulder lenght hair she has grown it for 6 months.

MinderMutsig
September 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Crikey. 2 years from pixie to waist? I can only dream of that. You lucky lady. People need to start mentioning inches/centimeters in addition to bodymarkers. Bodymarkers alone are a very poor indicator when you are comparing to others.

When I first came here my hair was nearly shoulder length and in the chin to should thread there was someone who had the exact same length as me. I'm now BSL and she is hip. Impressive right? Hers must grow much faster than mine? Nope. She's just short and I'm freakishly tall. My BSL length is the same as her hip length. Our annual hair growth is pretty much the same.

In a thread about how long does it take to reach..., bodymarker indicators are completely worthless unless they are followed with inches.

RubyTuesday
September 24th, 2012, 04:51 AM
well, I am 5ft 10" so I'll add an extra year on to get to waist then... :cry:

MinderMutsig
September 24th, 2012, 05:04 AM
well, I am 5ft 10" so I'll add an extra year on to get to waist then... :cry: I'm 6 feet so I feel your pain.

The best way to know for sure is to measure your growth and then measure your bodymarkers. If you know your average growth you can then calculate how long it will take you to reach that milestone.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36275)might come in handy to keep track of your growth and it also predicts when you'll reach the next milestone based on your overall average growth.

Based on my chart I'll reach waist on April 17th 2013. (It's not actually that accurate.;))

ollyb52
December 17th, 2017, 02:13 AM
/Users/katharina/Desktop/Foto del 16-12-17 alle 11.33 #6.jpgHi! I startet growing out a pixie cut in february 2015 and ended up now december 2017 at somewhere between MBL and WL. Here some photos.. /Users/katharina/Desktop/IMG_1707.jpg /Users/katharina/Desktop/Foto del 16-12-17 alle 11.32 #3.jpg

ollyb52
December 17th, 2017, 02:17 AM
sorry but I don't know how to post photos :(
I'm new on here!

Beeboo123
December 17th, 2017, 05:05 AM
*raises hands* Pixie to (almost)tailbone in about 3.5 years

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Im 5'2" and i once grew from a shaved scalp to slightly past apl in one year i did this by doing no trims and a high protein diet and biotin supplements. My normal growth like most people is 6 inches a year, but i can double it to 12 inches through diet alone. May now work for everyone, but i shoot for 100-150g of protein a day, and 10,000mcg biotin when im growing fast on purpose.

browneyedsusan
December 17th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I did.
It took about 4 years. :)

Stray_mind
December 17th, 2017, 01:15 PM
It took me 3 years to get from shoulder to hip, so i think it would take me about 5 years to go from pixie to waist if my growth rate would remain the same.

It is definitely possible with some patience :)

leayellena
December 17th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Long pixie to waist in 4 years

Guitargod
December 17th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I've grown from short hair to TBL in around 7 years, including a chop around shoulder length to even out the hemline, a couple of smaller trims and a large trim last year.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 17th, 2017, 07:31 PM
/Users/katharina/Desktop/Foto del 16-12-17 alle 11.33 #6.jpgHi! I startet growing out a pixie cut in february 2015 and ended up now december 2017 at somewhere between MBL and WL. Here some photos.. /Users/katharina/Desktop/IMG_1707.jpg /Users/katharina/Desktop/Foto del 16-12-17 alle 11.32 #3.jpg

You do not have photo access until you have made over 25 quality posts :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 17th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I did.
It took about 4 years. :)

You actually posted in this same forum in 2012. Lol. Your og comment though, looks like it was made when you were still pixie!! LOL. Wow. time flies.

Took me about 4 years, but it was more like 6-7 years because I got a lot of large chops on and off for awhile.

Robi-Bird
December 17th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I have a pic of me with a bit of a scraggly grown out pixie holding my newborn niece. She turned six last month. My hair is BCL and I trim an inch off a few times a year.

Raevyngoddess
December 17th, 2017, 10:46 PM
:popcorn: I'm currently growing out a faux hawk cut! Been growing for a year so far and my hair is at the bottom of my neck(shorter in some areas). I've done a few trims. Will share pics when I'm able. Idk how rn, lol.

Raevyngoddess
December 17th, 2017, 10:49 PM
I should also mention my hair is damaged and very slow growing. I'm in the process of getting it healthy again.

OhSuzi
December 18th, 2017, 04:37 AM
I am in the middle of this process from Pixie with shaved bits to shoulders with one proper hair cut to even out layers, has so far taken 1 year 4 months.
I am hoping for about 6 ins growth per year - with maybe 1 yearly tiny trim, so to waist will maybe be another 3 years give or take a few months.

So in total that should be about 4 years in total - I've never grown my hair longer than shoulder before, so we'll see..........

Agnieszka
December 18th, 2017, 05:41 AM
I'm doing it at the moment. Had pixie cut October 2015, October 2016 I cut the mullet off from the bottom so I could have decent looking long bob and now I've just reached APL I think. I need to mention I'm quite tall with long torso and long neck. So with one trim I got from pixie to APL in 2 years.

Chromis
December 18th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I previous member here went from a shaved head to knee in ten years. I don't know if that helps.

I think there have been a couple of us that have done that! I missed this thread to chime in before, but hey thread necromancy ftw! :laugh:

Addy
December 18th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I went from pixie 2013 to nearly hip 2017. Roughly 4 years. My hair grows fast! I was trimming more as the pixie was growing out than I do now.

Ophidian
December 22nd, 2017, 07:13 PM
Started with a longish pixie in April 2016 and now I’m inching close to BSL stretched. Long neck and back make this a lengthy process (hahahaha) but I’m happy with the progress I’ve made so far.

Eastbound&Down
December 22nd, 2017, 09:57 PM
Pixie to waist, about 4 years.

PixiePoesie
December 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Yes! I've gone from pixie to waist (and longer) five separate times in my life. I usually cut it very short to mark some life changing event (happy or sad), keep it short for about a year, and then just let it grow. I've averaged between four to five years to waist, and five to six years to classic. I'm four months into growing out my pixie now, and a long way to grow.
Michelle:blossom:

victorian girl
December 24th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Yep! Started with quite a short pixie (the hairdresser didn't listen to me at all) and 3 and a half years after I was at waist (stretched, mid-back curly)

ETA: I'm 5'3 (160 cm) - the height matters :)

Tassledown
December 24th, 2017, 01:53 AM
Shaved head to Classic in five years, in my case, so waist was what seems to be the average here - 3-4 years. Man does time fly, although I had to cover it for the first two years so I stopped hating seeing myself in the mirror. It's only been in the last two years I consistently like what I see.

Agnes Hannah
December 24th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Yes, I listened to all the hype about not being able to grow long due to my fine thin hair. The pixie made me look older and I hated it, It had three different colours in it. I'm now at classic. It took a long time and yes its still thin and fine. If it is loose, people tell me to cut it, I prefer it long fine and thin than short fine and thin.

Charjonesxoxo
January 22nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
Yeah I went from pixie to waist in about 6-7 years, you just have to be patient

Charjonesxoxo
January 22nd, 2018, 04:25 PM
But I’m quit tall for a women ( 5 ft 8) and my waist is quite low so it might take you a lesser amount or time

emptyque
January 23rd, 2018, 07:13 AM
I got a short pixie cut in March of 2015, so almost three years ago. It is currently about two inches from BSL. I trimmed it more than usual when it was short to prevent it from growing into a mullet, and got it shaped into a lob at one point.

OhSuzi
January 23rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
...So the original question was posted in 2012 & then someone reignited it 2017!
I hope after 5 years the pixie growers have made it out the other side & are happy with their hair length!
updates from the original posters would be great!

browneyedsusan
January 23rd, 2018, 02:05 PM
...So the original question was posted in 2012 & then someone reignited it 2017!
I hope after 5 years the pixie growers have made it out the other side & are happy with their hair length!
updates from the original posters would be great!

Love a good zombie thread!

I scrolled back, and I was totally active in this thread in 2012! Neat!

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 07:53 AM
I must salute for the people having enough patience to grow it from pixie to waist

yahirwaO.o
February 22nd, 2018, 10:59 AM
Yes I've done it twice (hopefully this will be my third time :P). Its not that hard for some people but I can understand it can be for some!

This time I think i'll keep a balance between total neglect and crazy paranoid of damage. (Of course I'll enjoy it) :P

ipickee
February 22nd, 2018, 01:10 PM
This would be me. I went from a pixie (Jan. 2015) to 32.5" currently, with only a couple trims in between.

Starbunny
October 25th, 2018, 04:17 AM
I'm currently on this road, but am still in the pixie stage. T_T

OhSuzi
October 25th, 2018, 05:59 AM
2 years in from pixie to colar bone so far.....
Look at Megumi Goose on youtube. 39 monthly hair updates from pixie crop to waist - it took her just over 3 years & her hair looks great - I used to watch these all the time when I first started growing out my pixie. I still dip in & out every now and again when I want to see where my hair is at by comparison.

simoneymonie
October 25th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I went from pixie to waist length in a little less than 6 years, but I only got annual trims of less than a half inch.

From https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/39812228954_a93209cb8b.jpg

to almost exactly six years later (which isn't a super accurate picture of my natural hair, since this was my first blow-out, but it really shows the length well)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4713/38710484450_ef86810843.jpg

I miss the pixie, because I could mess with hair color without fear (I've since gone completely natural, no dyes and very rarely style with heat), but the constant fight against a mullet was tiring. With long hair, I only have to get it cut once a year, if that. With the pixie, it was mullet city every two weeks.

Corvana
October 25th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Look at Megumi Goose on youtube. 39 monthly hair updates from pixie crop to waist - it took her just over 3 years & her hair looks great - I used to watch these all the time when I first started growing out my pixie. I still dip in & out every now and again when I want to see where my hair is at by comparison.

I watched her videos a ton! And I recently rewatched them all, as well. I think when I first found them I was at her 14 or 15 month? Which would be about right for my own growth as I'd been growing about that long as well, give or take. And I believe now I'm at her 33 month? Which again is about right considering I trimmed a good bit last year that took me back to where I'd started (14 month or so).

Although she wanted waist or hip in front, which is according to her about BCL in the back (one of her last videos she mentions stopping sooner because of that). She did end at her natural waist in the back, though, in the end!

I'm surprised at how soon I'll hit her last video length, and then from then on I won't have them to reference!

starrycosmonaut
July 12th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Hey guys~!!!!
I would love to have a goal of going from a pixie-length hairstyle back to waist length hair, but I'm getting worried that my patience won't win out..? The longest layers are halfway down my neck right now, so it's already grown quite a bit since I first cut it from shoulder length in June! I am also only 4'11" so I'm hoping my small stature will make my length look more substantial--but do you believe I can make it back to a long hair style in the next few years with no trims/cuts at all?
Last summer when I cut my hair this length, it only took about one year to get it between collarbone and armpit length, and even the hairdresser I went to said that that meant my hair grew fast, but it's starting to make me anxious that I'll never achieve my previous length ;o;

ManeGoal
August 7th, 2019, 09:54 PM

I tried looking for these videos but could not find them? Are they still around do you know? I looked for Megumi Goose on YouTube nothing came up.

AutobotsAttack
August 7th, 2019, 11:36 PM
From pixie to waist it took me two years and a few months give or take. I think it mainly depends on your body proportions too.

Vacurlylady
August 8th, 2019, 05:12 AM
I tried looking for these videos but could not find them? Are they still around do you know? I looked for Megumi Goose on YouTube nothing came up.

I looked her up as well. Nothing came up 😕 I’m on month 20 of growing out a pixie. Would love to check her out!

As far as patience goes, I made it through the rough time by just clipping back my bangs. Now if I even think of sitting down for a little trim at all, I think I would be sick to my stomach. (Maybe being a bit dramatic here 🤷🏼 But I do love my hair now). And that’s after having pixies for probably 25-30 years! My hair has become a part of who I am and am loving every single stage of my grow out. So it’s not taking patience any more.

OhSuzi
October 29th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Weird! I cant find them now either!
Maybe she thought now I'm a 20 something Im gonna take down these vids from when I was a teenager?
They were great vids monthly updates of her hair growth - really encouraging - so satisfying to skim watch em all and witness 3 1/2 years progress in about an hour
Still that means there's a fully documented hair growth sized hole in youtube - make your own videos for the good of longhair aspirational kind!
Doing the vids mustve taken a lot of commitment!
I started off making the effort to take bi weekly / monthly photos, but as soon as my hair hit about shoulders & I could put it up - I got less obsessed and aware of it & managed to have a lot more patience now its just doin its thing growin and I mostly dont think about it and I cant even be bothered to take length photos - just enjoying it!

zmirina
October 29th, 2019, 06:49 PM
about 2.5 years:)

SwanFeathers
October 29th, 2019, 07:29 PM
I did it, and it took me about 5 years. I'm a heavy trimmer though, and I refused to have any kind of mullet or layers so I obsessively worked my hemline. Your journey may not take as long :)

Faraniel
October 30th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Hm....must have been like 4 years or so to my waist but I had layered hair, not exactly a bob.

The Lizard Wife
November 4th, 2019, 01:24 PM
I'm still just shy of waist length, and also a bit shy of 4 years growing out from my pixie. I'm long-waisted, though, and I did trim about an inch off at one point. So about 3-4 years for me, with hair that grows at average rate.

Waterlilly21
November 4th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Im right below bra strap length and was short pixie 3 years ago. I'd probably be at waist if i hadnt had any trims or cuts on the way.

pixitolong
November 4th, 2019, 07:08 PM
almost 1 year ago I got my hair cut to pixie (November 17 2018 to be exact). It is now at bob length. I wonder what length it will be in another year...

hannabiss
November 10th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Went from Bald to waist in 3 years. (I did a trim every 6 months or I'm sure it would have only taken 2 years)

jane_marie
November 10th, 2019, 07:30 AM
I shaved my head four and a half years ago and now I'm about an inch and a half from waist... but I had many many haircuts along the way because I only just decided I want to grow my hair out three months ago when my hair was at BSL.

I have no idea how long it would have taken if I hadn't had most of those cuts.

gustavonut
January 20th, 2020, 05:13 PM
I’d assume it would take around 3-4 years?

leafygreens18
January 20th, 2020, 06:55 PM
I imagine my journey might be longer than most. Shaved in 2017 (almost three years!) hopefully BSL and on my way to waist by year four!

silkystrandz
January 20th, 2020, 07:01 PM
Yep!!! Im that girl who had the "pixie" experience back in 2015....with any luck I should be at hip by Christmas 2020. Lots of oiling, no poo, and patience!!

0xalis
January 21st, 2020, 02:40 AM
I grew from a pixie to APL+ from April 2012 to March 2014.

I'm now growing out from a buzz cut, currently at 13'', waist is 32''.
So it will probably take me approximately 38 more months to get to waist, or 3.17 years.

My hair grows about the average .5'' a month, sometimes faster, but I have an annoyingly long neck and torso.

TechnoticEyes
February 8th, 2020, 09:05 PM
I shaved my head back in 2017. Im an inch or two past BSL now (about 4in more to waist) and it will be 3 years since I shaved it on March 22nd. I grew out my hair throughout the entire "awkward" phase. No cuts whatsoever. I got my first cut at 2 years. Got rid of the natural V shape and made it blunt (the bottom of the V was at BSL). After that I have cut my hair about an inch every 6 months so I've had 2 trims since then.

unheardletters
February 8th, 2020, 09:14 PM
It took me over 4 years with no trims. My hair grows slower than average though with a long torso. I’m kind of short, but waist is 33”.