PDA

View Full Version : Can this hair product potentially cause damage? *ingredients *

PorcelainHorror
August 22nd, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hello all! I just recently purchased Redken's Natures Rescue Sea spray. I love the texture it gives my hair and the fact that it makes my hair smell fantastic all day. My only concern is that it would cause damage to my hair.

The ingredients are as follows:
Water, Alcohol Denat, PEG-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Glycerin. Sodium Chloride,Phenoxyethanol, Maris Sal/Seasalt/Sel Marin,Magnesium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyquaternum-11, Polyquaretnum-4, Ethylhexylglycerin, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Algae extract, Hydrolyzed soy protein, Eugenol, Benzyl alcohol, Geraniol.

Ahh that's quite the list, my attention span was stretched big time whilst typing it all out....

But here's some background info in case it is important.
I live in a very arid region. My hair is naturally fine and prone to splits/white spots. I do take somewhat good care of my hair and never use heat styling.
The only "bad" thing is that my hair has been bleached with a 10 vol. Even still, it is in decent condition.

Thanks!

battles
August 22nd, 2012, 01:45 AM
I think the alcohol denat can dry your hair out. I'm not sure about any of the other ingredients.

PorcelainHorror
August 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the alcohol denat is the one thing that made me concerned. :[

But I wonder if it would really do much hard to my hair since I oil it every day. I would think the oil would help act as a barrier but I am unsure.

Natalia
August 22nd, 2012, 02:16 AM
Water, Alcohol Denat, PEG-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance, Glycerin. Sodium Chloride,Phenoxyethanol, Maris Sal/Seasalt/Sel Marin,Magnesium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, Polyquaternum-11, Polyquaretnum-4, Ethylhexylglycerin, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Algae extract, Hydrolyzed soy protein, Eugenol, Benzyl alcohol, Geraniol.

Well the first bolded is absolutly drying the second is a presrvative and therefore anything after that is present in minimal amounts so those first 7 ingredients are what are in the highest concentrations. My overall impression is i wouldnt let it near my hair more than once a month MAX but thats my hair. Considering youve bleached id be careful with it since your cuticle isnt pristine nor is mine since ive colored it alot in the past.

sakuraemily
August 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Yup, this stuff can damage hair. I'd use it only for special occasions.
But, never never let it near your scalp.

brave
August 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hello all! I just recently purchased Redken's Natures Rescue Sea spray. I love the texture it gives my hair and the fact that it makes my hair smell fantastic all day. My only concern is that it would cause damage to my hair.

Ahh that's quite the list, my attention span was stretched big time whilst typing it all out....

But here's some background info in case it is important.
I live in a very arid region. My hair is naturally fine and prone to splits/white spots. I do take somewhat good care of my hair and never use heat styling.
The only "bad" thing is that my hair has been bleached with a 10 vol. Even still, it is in decent condition.

Thanks!
In addition to what others have said, magnesium sulfate is basically epsom salt and has been known to cause damage/dryness. It is in a lot of curly hair products however, since it increases curl.

Sodium Chloride is normal table salt, and can also be damaging/drying.

It looks like it has moisturizing ingredients as well, but I'd keep an eye on my hair while using this.