PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with wet hair?

Maybe
August 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I am on vacation at the beach and have been keeping my hair braided to protect it, keep it looking reasonable in and out of the water all day and help contain it under my hat.

I swam about 5 hours ago (its freshwater BTW, not salt or chlorine) and then got busy making dinner, feeding and bathing kids etc etc.

My hair is still in the wet braids and I am exhausted. Will it hurt to sleep in them?

Shepherdess
August 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I used to sleep in wet braids every single night. I don't think it hurt any doing that, it just got my pillow wet! :p

heyshortyhey
August 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I can't sleep with wet hair because if it gets cold enough at night it tends to lend a hand to giving me a horrible migrane the next morning. If you don't have that problem, I don't see why it would be an issue !

Maybe
August 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Oh good! Thank you :)

Rufflebutt
August 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I try not to sleep with wet hair if I can help it... I'm not sure if it's damaging but I won't take the risk.

Shepherdess
August 19th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I still often will go to bed with wet hair (since many times it takes more than one day to dry completely anyway). But I find that it usually feels very soft in the morning (when it is almost dry).

MissPetite2010
August 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I wish I could go to bed with my hair wet sometimes, but usually I wake up with the sniffles when I attempt it. Lol not very often. I usually get sick every time the season changes. I try not to risk it...

akilina
August 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM
If I go to bed with loose wet hair...I guess it slightly resembles "hair" in the morning. haha.
If I am going to bed with wet hair though, I always do a french braid with as much hair as I can get in it. It works fine :)
Also very soft in the morning.
I think that you shall be fine :]

Freckled.Thing
August 19th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Pish posh. I'm about to go to bed with my hair wet right now. I don't see anything wrong with it. If my hair's going to take several hours to dry I'd rather do it while I'm asleep than stand around waiting for it during the day. That's why I always wash my hair at night.

If I am sleeping with my hair wet though I prefer to wear it loose than in braids. If I braid my hair while it's wet it will still be wet when I wake up. Seriously, I've left wet hair braided for 12 hours and it hadn't dried at all when I took the braid out.

honeybunnie8
August 19th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I dont think its an issue really, but I find it really annoying and hate doing it.

Aliped
August 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I still often will go to bed with wet hair (since many times it takes more than one day to dry completely anyway). But I find that it usually feels very soft in the morning (when it is almost dry).

Yes, me too. I try to sleep with wet hair as often as possible. I love how soft and silky my nice clean dry hair feels :)

SilverDoe
August 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I always sleep with either damp or wet, braided hair. Because I love braid waves, my fine thin hair takes 5 hours to dry, and my hair stays cleaner longer if I don't mess with it as much. :rolleyes:

Chimom79
August 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I've been sleeping with wet/damp hair most my life. I always braid it then just sleep. The only thing I have with it is that when I take my braids out next day my hair can tend to be a lil bit poofy, may could call it frizzy? I'd say poofy. Lol! But anyway, it's not going to hurt.

Kayla Nyx
August 20th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I sleep with wet hair all the time. Usually loose.

pink.sara
August 20th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I don't know that it causes any damage, but it does make my hair feel awful.

If it does manage to dry overnight, which it will only do if it's loose and very warm and dry in the room, it feels heavy and lank all day. Yuck.

KwaveT
August 20th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I make sure you aren't doing it with very wet hair. If it is only slightly damp then I don't think there will be any breakage. I am one though that does not want my pillows wet. Satin is slippery enough as is.

Henrietta
August 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I do it every time I wash, which is every 3 days. Because I don't feel like staying up until 2am till it's dry. It makes my hair really soft in the morning. Yes, some people say it is damaging (they don't give any "scientific" reasons, though. Rubbing, or something.) I haven't notice any damage from it.

rach
August 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
mine takes hours to dry due to how thick it is plus it behaves better if i leave it damp for longer. Often go to bed with it braided in bed.

RubyTuesday
August 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I often used to sleep with very damp hair and never had any problems. Now my hair is shorter it dries much quicker and I tend to wash in the morning anyway.

I can't imagine why it would be a problem. My mother always used to tell me off for going to bed with wet hair though. She said I would catch a cold. That's a load of old rubbish though. Colds are viruses and they don't just appear because you have wet hair.

The-Young-Maid
August 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I sleep with my damp hair braided after a wash to set the braidwaves. It takes a least a day and a half to dry so I keep it up in a braided bun as well, nothing negative to report so far.:shrug:

PrincessBob
August 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I usually sleep with damp or even wet hair on a wash day. Ii don't think it hurts any more than sleeping with your hair down once a week.

vanillabones
August 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
My hair looks AWFUL when I sleep on it wet... it's just bad news bears... other than that there's nothing wrong with it and I would probably do it all of the time :D

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I used to do bun curls. I don't think its bad for the hair.

insilentharmony
August 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I went to bed with wet hair for years. At that time I always slept with my hair down, too. My grandmother would always tell me it wasn't good for my hair, but nothing bad ever came out of it.

LadyLongLocks
August 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I don't think its a good idea to sleep with wet hair. I dry my hair before I go to bed.
I try to dry my hair fast anytime due to the hair swelling when it's wet. Just my personal opinion.
When the hair is dry the cuticle is laying down more.

Yozhik
August 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I had to click on this thread because I'm about to go to bed right now with wet hair. :p

I usually try not to go to bed with my hair super-wet, but I usually take night showers, so on wash days I tend to go to sleep with damp hair. Like others have said, I wake up with very soft, hydrated hair. My explanation is that since the hair dries slower and with less manipulation, it's smoother and more hydrated. :)

remote-spook
August 27th, 2012, 01:27 AM
If I have to sleep in wet hair, I always braid it and put a towel on my pillow. Never seemed to be a problem for me, but my hair is usually still wet the next day.

AutumnLocks
August 27th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I got to bed with wet hair all the time. I'm like lots of the other ladies here as well...mine feels really soft in the morning when I do.

maria_asa
August 27th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Never had any problems with sleeping with wet hair either. Since I shower in the evening and wash my hair every day it's usually somewhere between sopping wet and damp when I go to bed.

catfish
August 28th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Another person that sleeps with wet hair often if not most nights,:) never had any problems, in fact my hair dries less frizzy.

Cowgirl16
August 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
:couch: I sleep with my hair wet.

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I go to bed with damp hair frequently, and have had no issues from it. :)

Amorice
August 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
If my hair is wet and loose when I go to bed, I sometimes get a weird cowlick-type thing from sleeping on my side. But that's the only negative thing I've experienced.

cindy58
August 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I often sleep with wet hair -- it hasn't hurt me or my hair yet. If it's hot, it feels rather cooling too.

hermosamendoza
August 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I try not to sleep on wet hair because it gets these weird kinks in it that stay unless I straighten it...like never....or wait until I shower in the day time and let it air dry

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I never sleep with wet hair because I don't like the uneven waves that develop from it. I remember years back, I woke up with a sore neck a couple of times so its not for me.

SongofLove
September 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think it's fine as long as the braids are not too tight--I think hair shrinks as it dries.