PDA

View Full Version : shea butter

jojo
August 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Please can you share how you all use this on your hair and how often?

I just got some with Billberries, i could eat it it smells that good! Feels great on my face and hands too.

thanks xx

Euphony
August 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I use it how most people use coconut oil, just a small dab for a leave in, or I totally coat my hair in it and let it sit overnight and wash it out in the morning.

ladystar
August 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I will like to know this also! What brand do you buy?

yogachic
August 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I make fox's hair cream. I used shea butter, coconut oil and conditioner. I like this mix, shea butter alone is very hard to spread, and it doesn't melt easily. Trying to spread it on wet hair or skin alone is even more difficult.

daydreamer
August 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I love shea butter. I scrape a teeny bit off, rub it between my fingers so that it melts, and apply it to my ends or perhaps the last 5 inches of my hair after a shower, while it is still wet. I let my hair air dry overnight and in the morning my ends are soft. I do this whenever my ends start feeling dry/strawlike, so it depends -- sometimes a few times a week, sometimes once every other month, just whenever my hair seems to need it.

Cereus
August 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Where do you get Shea butter?

jojo
August 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I got mine from ebay its ingredients are;

shea butter, jojoba oil, vit e and billberrys.

I am going to try a little on my ends tomorrow.

xrosiex
August 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I love shea butter! I use it straight sometimes.Like use coconut oil. But I did whip up a batch of hair butter. 1 part shea, 1 part coconut oil, 1 part jojoba oil, 1 part eeov. and 1 part conditioner. I melted the shea butter and added everything else. And took my electric mixer and mixed for a few mins. Then put it in the freezer. About 5 mins later I took it out and mixed it till it looked like whipped butter. I put it in a small glass jar, and I use it for my leave in conditioner. I got the recipe from "night shade". I changed it alittle. But I love it.:cheese:

Patrycja
August 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I actually wanted to ask on this thread instead of starting a new one.Does shea butter ever get rancid? I've had my supply of it for about 2 years now and since I hate the smell of shea-I added Lavender EO.It doesn't smell bad but like I said-I don't like the smell of shea so how do I know when its bad?

Its all very confusing. ;)

Sakura07
August 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Shea butter has a shelf life of 1- years depending on how its stored.

I use my shea butter like I do most oils. On damp hair I melt some in my hands and smooth onto my hair. Lately I've been reading about making a whipped shea butter for my hair.

Oh yea, i also use it on my skin. Its really good for my eczema for adding moisture or soothing itchies.

Patrycja
August 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Shea butter has a shelf life of 1- years depending on how its stored.

Thanks for answering my question :flowers: I guess I should invest in another jar of it :shrug: I knew something didn't smell right.I store it in my bathroom cabinet but I've melted and rehardened it two or three times now.To get the grains out and add more lavender eo.
Now I can try praireland herbs whipped shea.It sounds so yummy smelling :)

Euphony
August 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for answering my question :flowers: I guess I should invest in another jar of it :shrug: I knew something didn't smell right.I store it in my bathroom cabinet but I've melted and rehardened it two or three times now.To get the grains out and add more lavender eo.
Now I can try praireland herbs whipped shea.It sounds so yummy smelling :)
OOOOOOOOO they use the same shea butter we do, awesome stuff!
On a side note, vitamin e helps to keep the shea butter from going rancid - I'd say it adds 50% to 100% more to the shelf life of it.