PDA

View Full Version : Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

Othala
August 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
There is a type of seaweed or algae that was traditionally used as a shampoo or hair pack by wealthy Japanese women in the past (apparently poor women could not afford it).

The seaweed is called Funori and the botanical name for it is Gloiopeltis furcata.

I have found some for sale, marketed as "Organic Japanese Seaweed Hair care powder" at a price I am not going to pay, but the website provides some interesting details about how this powder can be used.

Here are links:

https://wawaza.com/products/Organic-Japanese-Seaweed-Hair-Care-Powder.html

https://wawaza.com/pages/How-to-Use-Japanese-Seaweed-For-Hair-Care-.html

So, has anyone at LHC used it? If so, please let me know how you found it.

I'm going to try and find some of the dried Funori via seaweed suppliers and use it to make my own seaweed hair shampoo rather than purchase this expensive stuff.

Aeris
August 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have never used seaweed myself, but have heard that it is amazing for the hair when eaten (especially when it comes to increasing growth rate). I would definitely love to try a homemade hair mask with it - when I get some spare money, I'll make one. I feel like ground up dried seaweed could be mixed easily into henna, or maybe added to a SMT.

Will keep my eye on this thread! :)

Othala
August 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I feel like ground up dried seaweed could be mixed easily into henna

Aeris, that is a fantastic idea. I have Bladderwrack powder and some Kombu (dried kelp). I will definitely add these to my next henna treatment in a couple of weeks time.

I'm happily researching all the different types of algae (seaweeds) at the moment :).

lastnite
August 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I second it would be better to eat it, there's supposed to be alot of good vitamin, mineral and iodine for hair growth. I eat seaweed sometimes, but I don't think I eat it enough to see the results - so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothie

Othala
August 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I second it would be better to eat it, there's supposed to be alot of good vitamin, mineral and iodine for hair growth. I eat seaweed sometimes, but I don't think I eat it enough to see the results - so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothie

The thing with eating it is...iodine...which affects the thyroid. Anyone with thyroid issues should not eat it. Those without a thyroid problem can of course benefit from the nutritious qualities of seaweed.

The "ancient" Japanese used seaweed as a shampoo so that is what I am exploring. I am more and more intrigued by the fact that this 100% seaweed shampoo is available to buy today.

I might just bite the bullet and order it from Japan...oh what the heck, off I go to eBay to spend some money, LOL.

Luminaria
August 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
The thing with eating it is...iodine...which affects the thyroid. Anyone with thyroid issues should not eat it. Those without a thyroid problem can of course benefit from the nutritious qualities of seaweed.

The "ancient" Japanese used seaweed as a shampoo so that is what I am exploring. I am more and more intrigued by the fact that this 100% seaweed shampoo is available to buy today.

I might just bite the bullet and order it from Japan...oh what the heck, off I go to eBay to spend some money, LOL.

Did the funori work? I was thinking about using it to wash my hair.

Othala
August 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Did the funori work? I was thinking about using it to wash my hair.

Yes, it cleaned gently and I didn't need to use conditioner afterwards. I think this is something that one could use exclusively for a few months with good results. My scalp was very happy with the treatment and some got onto my facial skin and it was lovely.

I don't think FuNori would work if you use conditioners, serums, hairsprays and other products that may build up.

spirals
August 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM
...so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothieYes to Carrots body butter has spriulina. I use it for a facial moisturizer and my skin loves it. It's the absolute best moisturizer I have ever used. Whenever I have a bit of extra money I stock up because I'm afraid they'll discontinue it. :o So I suppose spirulina would be great for the insides and hair, too.

Tabitha
August 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Decades ago when Lush were still Cosmetics To Go selling mainly via mail order, I used to use a seaweed shampoo whose name I forget.

I cross the road to avoid Lush stores now because the smell is so overpowering, but I see they do make a shampoo with (different kind of) seaweed.

Seanik (https://www.lush.co.uk/product/340/Seanik-Solid-Shampoo-Bar)shampoo bar

AcornMystic
August 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Decades ago when Lush were still Cosmetics To Go selling mainly via mail order, I used to use a seaweed shampoo whose name I forget.

I cross the road to avoid Lush stores now because the smell is so overpowering, but I see they do make a shampoo with (different kind of) seaweed.

Seanik (https://www.lush.co.uk/product/340/Seanik-Solid-Shampoo-Bar)shampoo bar

Ingredients to to that bar you posted:

Quantitative Ingredients

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Irish Moss Gel, Perfume, Nori Seaweed, Fine Sea Salt, Lemon Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Cocamide DEA, *Limonene, Colour 42090

Made me laugh my ass off with how they describe what it does to hair. The salt and mineral richness that they posted made me frown. Mineral build-up bad and I don't imagine salt is very good for your hair (is it?:confused:)

I am curious to look into seaweed cleansers though. I am almost out of baby shampoo (after that 3 bottles for 7 bucks deal they had on, totally awesome lasted me 6 months.) and am looking to do more experimenting to find perhaps an even better alternative. I absolutely love eating seaweed salad. mmm.. mm.. I think I shall look up on this and keep coming back to this thread.

longNred
August 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
not just for people, I've used Solid Gold's Seameal for my dog a number of times. Once when he was a pup, had mange, and had a moth eaten look to his coat. Seameal helped his coat come back in, fast. and I used it again when he had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor - made the shaved area grow back in fast. Seameal is just a dried seaweed supplement I sprinkle on his food.

Luminaria
August 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Yes, it cleaned gently and I didn't need to use conditioner afterwards. I think this is something that one could use exclusively for a few months with good results. My scalp was very happy with the treatment and some got onto my facial skin and it was lovely.

I don't think FuNori would work if you use conditioners, serums, hairsprays and other products that may build up.

Would it be okay if you use oils as leave-in?

Luminaria
August 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Yes to Carrots body butter has spriulina. I use it for a facial moisturizer and my skin loves it. It's the absolute best moisturizer I have ever used. Whenever I have a bit of extra money I stock up because I'm afraid they'll discontinue it. :o So I suppose spirulina would be great for the insides and hair, too.

I bought some spirulina recently...I wonder if I can use it to wash hair? I tried wakame before.

Othala
August 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Would it be okay if you use oils as leave-in?

Yes. I use Camellia oil as a leave-in and the seaweed removed it.

Luminaria
August 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Yes. I use Camellia oil as a leave-in and the seaweed removed it.

I'm going to give it a go. I don't buy things online, but I've seen these types of seaweed at the store. So, I'll grind them and mix them together. Then add water and wash.

piffyanne
August 31st, 2012, 01:38 AM
Glad this worked, now I'm eyeing the algae in my pond. Maybe it's miracle-algae! ;)

Seriously, I want to try it sometimes.

Thanks for sharing about the seaweed! :flower:

Othala
August 31st, 2012, 04:00 AM
Oooh, I tried irish Moss seaweed yesterday morning. What lovely stuff and great results. It cleaned off the light oiling and my scalp has zero irritation.

I just soaked 2 teaspoons of Irish Moss flakes in hot (not boiling) water overnight and strained the liquid into a separate container in the morning. To wash, I tied my hair into a ponytail and poured the liquid over my head over and over. I had my head over a sink and caught the liquid in a bowl and used an empty yoghurt carton to pour the liquid over. I worked the liquid into my scalp with my fingers and to finish I undid my ponytail and doused it in the liquid too. Then I stepped into the shower and rinsed it all off.

This is uber-natural hair care!

Othala
August 31st, 2012, 05:43 AM
Glad this worked, now I'm eyeing the algae in my pond. Maybe it's miracle-algae! ;)

Seriously, I want to try it sometimes.

Thanks for sharing about the seaweed! :flower:

You are most welcome.

I would be really interested to know how you get on with pond algae.

I can just imagine pre-historic humans getting their hair clean in muddy, algal ponds and lakes. That soft, nutrient-rich gel-like quality of algae seems to be the ideal hair cleanser especially as it does not strip but does remove some oil.

I am going to the beach next week to collect some seaweed of different types and see which one works best and why. Will post photos and result in due course.

Wouldn't it be great if we could safely and effectively clean our hair with something that is free in Nature?

piffyanne
August 31st, 2012, 04:09 PM
You are most welcome.

I would be really interested to know how you get on with pond algae.

I can just imagine pre-historic humans getting their hair clean in muddy, algal ponds and lakes. That soft, nutrient-rich gel-like quality of algae seems to be the ideal hair cleanser especially as it does not strip but does remove some oil.

I am going to the beach next week to collect some seaweed of different types and see which one works best and why. Will post photos and result in due course.

Wouldn't it be great if we could safely and effectively clean our hair with something that is free in Nature?
I may try it then. I anticipate a single problem: a couple of our koi have been weaned to hand feeding, and they come koi-equivalent-of-dashing up to anyone NEAR the pond and start sucking on your fingers/toes/whatever they can access conveniently.

I could see ShadowFish or Goldie trying to eat my hair.:doh:

Looking forward to your pictures! :popcorn:

ratgirldjh
August 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Does the seaweed leave build up on your hair at all? I know irish moss is known for build up (or at least I thought so) :D

Othala
September 1st, 2012, 06:36 AM
Does the seaweed leave build up on your hair at all? I know irish moss is known for build up (or at least I thought so) :D

It may well do, but I haven't experienced any build-up yet (bearing in mind I have only done about 5 seaweed treatments).

Catnip built up really badly on my hair by the 3rd treatment, so if seaweed does cause build-up, it does not do it fast.

Today is cold here in England and I couldn't bring myself to dip my head in cold, clammy seaweed water. I might have to reserve seaweed for warmer weather because I have no tolerance for a cold head in cold weather :o (wuss).

alexis917
September 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
Wow, sounds interesting.
I have been eating dried seaweed as long as I can remember.
My dad is Korean and the other kids would bring chips to school,
but I had seaweed in my lunch.
I wonder if eating it is beneficial to the hair, or if I have to use a product?
Does anyone know?

Finchen
September 2nd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Did somebody try to make a "hair mask" with Nori? I bought 50 sheets of Nori today and am thinking about to shred one sheet, soak it in hot water overnight, strain it the next day and use the water/mucilage on my hair. :stirpot:

@alexis917: I have read that it is beneficial for the hair to eat seaweed. I ate one Nori sheet today and to my surprise it doesn't taste bad at all. :) How often do you eat it and how much?

ratgirldjh
September 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
So you don't think kelp would work? All I've been able to find around here is kelp powder. Even the asian stores only had seaweed chunks and they were all treated with soy sauce and spices... ick I bought some and they were too salty for me!

alexis917
September 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
@Finchen: Oh boy. A pack a day? The little packs that are about the size of a deck of cards, which each have about ten sheets. I don't know if it's done anything for my hair, but I like the taste. I pack it in my lunch because I don't feel like paying two dollars for a bag of Funyuns at school.

Finchen
September 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
@Finchen: Oh boy. A pack a day? The little packs that are about the size of a deck of cards, which each have about ten sheets. I don't know if it's done anything for my hair, but I like the taste. I pack it in my lunch because I don't feel like paying two dollars for a bag of Funyuns at school.
I think that is pretty much. :) I bought a pack which has 50 sheets, however they are quite big and the total pack weighs 140g (about 5 oz). I will eat one sheet per day (2.8g = 0.1 oz).

Yesterday I did shred one sheet of Nori and soaked it in water overnight. I strained the Nori and will use it as a hair rinse later.

Othala
September 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have never heard of Nori being used to wash hair or as a hair pack. Funori, which is used for haircare is totally different to Nori.

Funori is a purple seaweed that becomes a pink gel when you add water and you use that lovely gel for washing your hair or as a scalp treatment.

Good luck with the Nori. I hope it...does something. You might be better off using it to make sushi, LOL.

ratgirldjh, I have tried kelp, bladderwrack and Kombu and they did not work well at all. They dried my hair out and were difficult to rinse out. My scalp was irritated afterwards too.

Carrageenan was great as was the Funori and in a few days I will try Agar Agar!

alexis917
September 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Random stupid question. I know you can use coffee/tea to wash your hair. What would green tea do? I have some laying around.

Finchen
September 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have never heard of Nori being used to wash hair or as a hair pack. Funori, which is used for haircare is totally different to Nori.

Funori is a purple seaweed that becomes a pink gel when you add water and you use that lovely gel for washing your hair or as a scalp treatment.

Othala, where did you buy the Funori? In the link which you posted on the first site here?

Othala
September 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Othala, where did you buy the Funori? In the link which you posted on the first site here?

No, I bought it on eBay.co.uk from a trader based in Japan. It was cheaper buying it from Japan direct than buying it from the U.K :rolleyes:.

The trader's name is hannari-ya. The product is called "KombutoFunori" and the packaging is entirely in Japanese, but the eBay page provides the usage instructions.

Fethenwen
September 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Is it fried seaweed chips? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5145tFdH5mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Those aren't as nutritive as nori which is just toasted, seaweed chips is quite high in fat and salt, as I have understood it. Tastes great though :)

I would love to be able to eat more seaweed though, I like it in sushi (takes too long to prepare - I don't eat it often), but in soups, salads and such. Not so much. There are so many great seaweeds out there, but I have a hard time getting used to their slimyness and fishy taste. Eating seaweed is known to be great for all kinds of things, but also great for hair.

alexis917
September 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
No, not chips. Roasted and salted. Bought in little packs at H-Mart.
http://www.hmart.com/images/product/m-8809089430065.jpg Like these.

Fethenwen
September 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
^ Okay, roasted is fine. I just know that frying takes out the nutrients of everything so. I guess that could be good to eat for your hair health :) Oh, this makes me crave for seaweed crisps.

alexis917
September 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I admit I did get vegetable crisps....they're good, what can I say. It says "vaccuum fried" but I don't know what that means.

Othala
September 5th, 2012, 06:04 PM
.... now I'm eyeing the algae in my pond. Maybe it's miracle-algae!

piffyanne I hope you are reading this. I will post this in your profile just to make sure.

I spoke to a friend of mine tonight who is a dermatologist and he told me a few horror stories about a couple who had been swimming in a local pond. A couple of days after their swim, both of them contracted a water-borne skin infection. They are now on anti-fungals as well as anti-biotics.

Pond-dipping is not a good idea. I would stick to sterilised, powdered algae, just to be on the safe side.