PDA

View Full Version : White hair became black again!

SandyStar
August 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
My mom found a strange hair on my head the other day when we were shopping together.

It was very curly and long. The bottom half was either white or very light blonde and the top half (attached to my head end) was black! It just changes suddenly from white to black in the middle.

I had no idea that white hair can become black again. I kept it but I can't seem to take a good picture of it.

I might try some more to take a picture of it. It's just so odd!

Has this happened to anyone else?

~honeyflower~
August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah mine did that one time,weird heh? I wonder why it does that...

lmfbs
August 2nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah mine did that one time,weird heh? I wonder why it does that...

I wonder if it's the same mechanism that allows cats' fur to change colour mid strand?

Ginbill
August 2nd, 2012, 11:00 PM
I've seen something like this on my own head as well.

4C4rly4
August 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
lol that's cool! I'd never heard of that before.

teela1978
August 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
The color in some of my hairs kinda sputters like that. I've seen hairs going brown/silver/brown/silver. Usually they end up silver. Its a bit odd.

trolleypup
August 3rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Sure, I have hairs that go back and forth.

PolarCathy
August 3rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
I also have hairs like this. Not surprised anymore.

Toadstool
August 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM
As hair loses pigment, it often seems to do this, from what I have read.

Stellaaa
August 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've had them too. So strange that at first I thought it was an animal hair of some sort that got mixed up in my brush (except it was too thick to be a sheepdog hair).

And most of my grey hairs are coarse and wavey, much different texture than my regular brown hair.

Little Unicorn
August 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Something similar has happened to me. My hair is black naturally, but some of the baby hairs at the front of my head are red and thick. Sometimes mid-strand they change color to black, but they are usually all-red. and the texture is different, they are shiny and very coarse. I wonder why? They didn't start turning red until after puberty; before that my hair was all black.

It might be genetic, as my brother's beard is almost completely red while the rest of his hair is black. My dad used to be the same. My mom said the front of her hair turned red before it turned white, so my hair might be turning white. But I'm still a teen! (not my real age on my profile) Both of my parents had hair that turned white in their 20s. Is it hormonal? genetic? did anyone have similar experiences?

dwell_in_safety
August 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Some of my hair changes color mid-shaft (not counting dyed hairs in this hahaha). I also think I have every possible color and texture on my head.

swearnsue
August 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
That is so weird though to go from gray to black. I could see the other way around.

Sagi1982
August 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I've got some freaky agouti hairs on my left arm - they're grey and white striped.

Shepherdess
August 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I just was noticing that this week! I was observing my hair more closely recently and found that a strand (it was about 30 inches long) had one side that was light blonde, then the middle half was dark brown and then the rest of the strand was light blonde as well. I was scratching my head thinking that it couldn't be possible for a hair to come out light blonde, then turn dark brown, and then come out light blonde again (it probably had an even 10 inches of light blonde, another 10 inches of dark brown, then another 10inches of light blonde).

I have also found other strands of hair that are similar to it. I wonder if it has anything to do with the hairs growth cycle? Or perhaps it is hormone related, since I had some thyroid issues a few years ago.

sakuraemily
August 6th, 2012, 06:02 AM
It can happen if your graying was caused by a copper deficiency. You're levels maybe fine now so they're changing back.

sakuraemily
August 6th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Something similar has happened to me. My hair is black naturally, but some of the baby hairs at the front of my head are red and thick. Sometimes mid-strand they change color to black, but they are usually all-red. and the texture is different, they are shiny and very coarse. I wonder why? They didn't start turning red until after puberty; before that my hair was all black.

It might be genetic, as my brother's beard is almost completely red while the rest of his hair is black. My dad used to be the same. My mom said the front of her hair turned red before it turned white, so my hair might be turning white. But I'm still a teen! (not my real age on my profile) Both of my parents had hair that turned white in their 20s. Is it hormonal? genetic? did anyone have similar experiences?

Hair graying is genetic. I read somewhere that you apparently inherit hair genes from your mom's dad and dad's mom.

Curly Crone
August 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
That is definately something I have seen. I also had quite a few black hairs turn red too, now those hairs are white. My Mom plucked my first white hair when I was ten years old.

My daughter has a few hairs that are not white, silver or gray but totally clear, they look like fishing line and have been there since she was little.

Someone said those hairs "sputter" when they are turning, I agree, when the hairs get long enough you may see multiple sections of color and white.

My Mom was 99% white when she started getting her color back in one very tiny section on the back of her head.

By the way, people always told me that the "grays" would be more coarse and wiry, but that isn't necessarily true. Mine have gotten finer.