PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling your hair make it darker?

Pandora.
July 12th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I haven't done any oil treatments in my hair for about a year (I know that's really bad but I've had a lot going on lately) so I did one yesterday with coconut oil and left it overnight and washed it out this morning. I've realised that my light blonde hair has suddenly become darker after doing this because I bought a set of clip in hair extensions last week which matched my hair perfectly...but now my hair is way too dark for them.

Could anyone explain what's happened to my hair here? Or are there any oils instead of coconut oil that won't darken my hair but will still provide the same results as a coconut oil treatment would?

Amber_Maiden
July 12th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Depends on the oil I think, but yes it can.

Pandora.
July 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Depends on the oil I think, but yes it can.

Is the darkening temporary? And will it quickly go back to how light it was originally?

It's upset me actually :( because I really don't want to dye my hair back to lighter again as it will damage it, but I want to use oil because of how good it makes my hair feel.

Sweetflower
July 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm wondering too. I oil my hair with olive oil and i got a feeling the redness disappears and its more like.. brown.

sazzie88
July 12th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Strange I have never heard of this, thank you for informing me!

Siiri
July 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Clear oils (like coconut oil and mineral oil for example) shouldn't change your hair colour. It just seems darker, but it's only temporary - it's the same way how light hair can appear darken when it's dirty. It somehow reflects light differently I believe. There's probably just some coconut oil left on your hair, you should be able to wash it out. If you'd use coconut oil with every wash, your hair would probably "permanently" become a bit darker, because you'd have oil on it all the time.

louzen
July 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I have natural blonde hair and I've used jojoba, coconut, olive, and emu oil extensively over the past 7 months and none of them have darkened my hair, in fact I find that they lighten it a little bit.

My hair always looks darker when I have oil on it - maybe you have some oil left on your hair which hasn't washed out properly or some other build up? I guess a good indicator would be if you clarified your hair (without pre-oiling) and then checked the colour afterwards to see if it has indeed changed.

I'm aware that other oils could potentially darken but generally the clear oils shouldn't do this (and haven't from my experience)

Pandora.
July 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Oh okay that's good then and has cleared things up a lot :) phew!

afu
July 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I thought this at first too, but i think it is just that your hair reflects the light a little differently. Also I tent to put a lot of oil on my lengths (coconut or sweet almond) as leave in, but if you don't like the look of your hair oiled I would suggest just using it as a pre-wash and making sure you rinse it out properly

Diamond.Eyes
July 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Oil has a tendency to lighten hair that has been colored with chemical dyes and henna. It basically removes the artificial color molecules from your cuticle and cortex. I know that castor and burdock oil can be quite dark and thick and can deposit a film of pigment onto the hair, but its nothing that clarifying shampooy couldn't fix. :)

cmg
July 12th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Clear oils (like coconut oil and mineral oil for example) shouldn't change your hair colour. It just seems darker, but it's only temporary - it's the same way how light hair can appear darken when it's dirty. It somehow reflects light differently I believe. There's probably just some coconut oil left on your hair, you should be able to wash it out.
Yes thats it. It doesent matter what oil I use. My hair always appears a bit darker when well oiled. Its the same if it is wet, but not as dark.

/ CMG

Natalia
July 13th, 2012, 11:26 PM
my hair does darken but i consider it a perk. thats one of the things i like about being wo is that the sebum darkens it even more than oils. i dont recall grapeseed having much of an effect on my color though back when i was co-ing so maybe try that? apricot could also be a good choice.