PDA

View Full Version : PANTENE why do hairdressers says its bad for hair???

templeofvenus
June 17th, 2012, 12:00 AM
This always confuses me and then I read on here that a lot of you knowledgeable ladies use the ice shine pantene and love it (another thread I read) but hairdressers say its full bad ingredients - these are some of the comments I have heard from hairdressers in the past - don't use it its full of liquid glass!!! huh!! :confused: don't use it cause it builds up plastic on the hair and stops hair dye taking :confused: and also its full of waxy deposits and ruins your hair!!

why do they say these things???? I have used it and currently have a bottle of the aqua light shampoo and the repair and restore conditioner and none of the above evils have happened when I have used it?? I haven't used it daily though probably due to the fear instilled in me by hairdressers forecasts of doom in the past lol

faellen
June 17th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Because they want you to buy their own products. Well, that's been my experience.

templeofvenus
June 17th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Because they want you to buy their own products. Well, that's been my experience.

lol yeah thats probably very true!

MintChocChip
June 17th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Ooh I don't know, I've heard lots of hairdressers (including my current one who doesn't sell hair products) say this. Because of it, I haven't used it in years. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

luxepiggy
June 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM
They want you to buy salon products instead (^(oo)~)

pepperminttea
June 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
none of the above evils have happened when I have used it?

So don't worry about it? :flower: If it works for you, stick with it.

templeofvenus
June 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
So don't worry about it? :flower: If it works for you, stick with it.

exactly its just that when people say things like this to you then it makes you wary and you think maybe you are doing unseen damage! I figure that surely if it was that bad it wouldn't be on sale would it! :confused: plus I often see people with lovely hair when I am out shopping tossing bottles of pantene into their shopping baskets without a care in the world! :)

ariesfairies
June 17th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Apparently Pantene "cheat the appearance of hair health and shine by coating the hair with silicone" if I remember correctly.
Now I don't know if this is always a hairdresser trying to sell you something, because this was enforced by the hairdresser aunt of a friend of mine, and I am not going to assume outright aunts are trying to sell products to their nieces.. but maybe even their hair school is enforcing it.

templeofvenus
June 17th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Apparently Pantene "cheat the appearance of hair health and shine by coating the hair with silicone" if I remember correctly.
Now I don't know if this is always a hairdresser trying to sell you something, because this was enforced by the hairdresser aunt of a friend of mine, and I am not going to assume outright aunts are trying to sell products to their nieces.. but maybe even their hair school is enforcing it.

true!! but you know what gets me? they say this about the silicones but when you look at the expensive salon brands they do sell they are chock full of silicones?!?!?! I just don't get it :confused: maybe they are taught this in hairdressing colleges to install fear into clients so they buy expensive brands!!

mrs_coffee
June 17th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I just went back to Pantene because they brought back Ice Shine. I love it. It makes my hair so soft and shiny and I have never noticed waxy build up from it. Usually if a product coats my hair I notice a big difference after clarifying. Everyone's hair is different, of course, but Pantene has never done anything bad to mine.

jeanniet
June 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Pantene doesn't work for many people, but others like it, so if it works for you, use it. If your hair starts feeling bad, then switch to something else. Everyone's hair is different, so there's no one product that will be good or bad for everyone.

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM
We are not all evil and want you to buy our products only. :(
I am a hairdresser myself and I HAVE told people that it can do this to your hair because I have seen it happen, and then not even tried to sell product because at times, selling product isn't the most important thing in the world to me. For some people it works great and that is just fine.

I feel like this warning is for people who are not aware of alternative haircare like we are I think. If we get a waxy build up or build up of any sort, we clarify.
Not everyone even has a clue about clarifying and they will use this product over and over again and it creates nasty results.

Perfect example...A woman had HORRIBLE build up. It felt like she hadn't washed her hair in weeks...or years... (not in a good way) and she said that she had just washed her hair before coming in.

I tried to explain to her that Pantene and the really "cheap" hair care especially can cause a lot of build up and she didn't give a care and had no interest in clarifying her hair at all. Some people are so closed minded to something that would actually help them.

Many on this site are very open minded to different forms of hair care and are in the know about it so they don't have problems with Panetene that a "normal" person would.

Scarlet_Heart
June 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
:scissors:
I tried to explain to her that Pantene and the really "cheap" hair care especially can cause a lot of build up and she didn't give a care and had no interest in clarifying her hair at all. Some people are so closed minded to something that would actually help them.

I always thought that when in doubt, cheap shampoo/conditioner was the way to go because they usually don't have all of the extra -cones and things that usually cause buildup. Suave is really cheap and their daily clarifying shampoo and conditioner are great for a good cleanse.

I do bs/acv which is about as cheap as you can get. :p

Lilli
June 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Anything can cause buildup or problems for various people because there are so many factors involved: hair type, water type, etc. Most of the expensive S&C are not chemically different from drugstore brands except that they usually have more ingredients and thus more potential for problems.

This is just another version of the 'cone debate. 'Cones are good for some people some of the time, bad for other people other times, etc. Personally, I like 'cones, and I clarify and deep-condition regularly, and I know how to take care of my hair. Other people don't know how to take care of their hair, but you'd have to think if someone's hair was waxy and cruddy they would think, "Wow, I need a new shampoo!" But then again, some people leave the house with terrible-looking hair, so there goes that theory...

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I was co-washing with all natural stuff and eventually needed to shampoo because of some build-up. It took a disgustingly long time to get buildup but eventually it happened. Pantene use to build up faster on my hair than other products but that was several years ago. I'm unable to get it to build up like that so far this go around. I like it and you can use cheap Suave Clarifying shampoo to get rid of any problems like build-up. Pantene is cheap and makes my hair feel nice. I like that I don't have to order it special or anything. I kinda decided to give it another try because I had a coupon and I had met someone with extremely long hair that had been using it forever.

akilina
June 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I always thought that when in doubt, cheap shampoo/conditioner was the way to go because they usually don't have all of the extra -cones and things that usually cause buildup. Suave is really cheap and their daily clarifying shampoo and conditioner are great for a good cleanse.

I do bs/acv which is about as cheap as you can get. :p
Hey I am all for it. If something works for you then why stop? Suave isn't the worst thing in the world. There is much worse out there. I meant more of the ones that tend to get really build up ish. I think dove gets pretty nasty but maybe that is just personal experience. Aussie gave me horrible build up too as a teen, As well did herbal essences.
If the product starts to become a problem then yeah it might be time for a change but I guess I am the kind of hair dresser that is much more focused on my client then product and I guess that is a bad thing at times. The place I was working before was a corporation so it was great if we sold product and if we didn't sell enough we got a little talk but nothing ever happened past that.

Wiggy Stardust
June 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM
The only thing Pantene did to me was give me an itchy scalp. Its silicone heavy, but many ladies like it. Use what your hair likes - no need to get religious with our hair products.

Tia2010
June 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Years ago I had my hair dresser warn me against Pantene. My hair was shedding a lot and she said it was due to the Pantene. She was also a friend so I knew she wasn't just trying to sell me... It took a while (because I really did like the Pantene) but after I stopped using it my hair stopped falling out .

Now granted I could have been having a normal shed and I didn't know enough about haircare at the time to know that. But I haven't had any problems like that since, so I don't know.

I have recently tried Ice shine ( because I love Piggy's hair:crush: so I had to try what gives her that incredible hair) And it does make it shiny but it also weighed my hair down and gave me an itchy scalp. :( So I doubt I will be sticking with it.

firegypsy
June 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I just used it for the first time (CO'd with it) and it made my scalp itchy and greasy. I may try it again to see if it keeps happening, but I had JUST clarified.

So I'm not sure it's for me. It gave my hair a very strange texture. Not bad, just strange.

Arden
June 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Tia2010;2169018]Years ago I had my hair dresser warn me against Pantene. My hair was shedding a lot and she said it was due to the Pantene. She was also a friend so I knew she wasn't just trying to sell me... It took a while (because I really did like the Pantene) but after I stopped using it my hair stopped falling out .

Now granted I could have been having a normal shed and I didn't know enough about haircare at the time to know that. But I haven't had any problems like that since, so I don't know.

QUOTE]

I was having problems with an obnxious amont of hair fall myself... (after pregnancy hair - I shed like crazy for up to 2 years after having a baby) ...about a year ago I started experimenting with no poo... I shampoo "cheat" occcassionally and no matter what shampoo I use it causes an excessive amount of shedding compaired to my no poo stuff... I wouldnt blame pantine or any other shampoo specifically... I blame all shampoo's period... lol

Lady Neeva
June 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]So there's two type of hairdressers: the ones that know what they're doing and the ones that tries to hide it.[\COLOR]

Scarlet_Heart
June 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM
:laugh: I just remembered that when I was in junior high school I told this one girl that I was using Pantene and she said, "Oh! Don't use that! They use horse parts in it (or something like that)." It was a rumor that quickly got around school. So a few days later after school I called the 1-800 number on the back of my Pantene bottle and asked them if they used animal by-products. They didn't. :p

dollyfish
June 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pantene makes my hair feel awful, so I don't use it. But then again, some people's hair can't stand coconut oil, so the fact that some people dislike a product when others like it doesn't say much in the way of objective truth about said product.

I've heard pantene is bad because it coats hair, faking the outward appearance of health. But this is exactly what more expensive salon products do too. I think these hair dressers (especially if they work at a more expensive salon!) are simply pushing the products they are paid to push. Salons receive money and products from these companies in exchange for selling them, after all.

It's the same reason some doctors will push brand-name drugs instead of offering generic alternatives. They are paid to do so.

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Pantene makes my hair feel awful, so I don't use it. But then again, some people's hair can't stand coconut oil, so the fact that some people dislike a product when others like it doesn't say much in the way of objective truth about said product.

I've heard pantene is bad because it coats hair, faking the outward appearance of health. But this is exactly what more expensive salon products do too. I think these hair dressers (especially if they work at a more expensive salon!) are simply pushing the products they are paid to push. Salons receive money and products from these companies in exchange for selling them, after all.

It's the same reason some doctors will push brand-name drugs instead of offering generic alternatives. They are paid to do so.
I am a hair dresser I have never heard of this. I have never seen any company pay us for selling their product either??
You buy it from a retailer for about half the price and double it to make your profit on it.

Copasetic
June 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hair dressers aren't necessarily hair experts. A lot of my friends have been told to avoid Pantene because it coats your hair and to instead use another product that is also full of silicones! It doesn't make sense.

Go with what works for you instead of what "experts" tell you is best.

AutumnLocks
June 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I've had hairdressers tell me that too. I don't pay them any attention though. I use what ever works for my hair. If that's Pantene then it's all good. If it's VO5 then that's all good too.