PDA

View Full Version : HELP henndigo turned green!

JellyBene
June 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I have been coloring my hair black with the same hendigo mix once a month for 10 months. I really love the black but decided to experiment to see if I could get it to a dark brown instead. Upon reccomendation from others here I did 2 applications of color oops. It lightened my roots to my natural color (light brown) and turned the length blue black. I decided to just keep it black, after all it was just an experiment! So I went over it with my usual mix of 75% indigo 25% henna, black tea and a little salt. But it turned my roots ELECTRIC green and my length this awful black-khaki green. What happened and what should I do?! can anyone help me? :(

caadam
June 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Noooooo! :( I wish I can help you, but I know close to nothing about how henna, indigo, and such works. Hopefully someone will see this.

Addy
June 5th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Oh my! I feel so bad! I would be shocked at the thought! I have no clue how to help! I hope you can find a solution!!!

ladylowtide
June 5th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Oh no! That is terrible I am so sorry. I really wish I could help you but I know nothing about indigo. Hopefully if enough sympathetic people respond we can draw some more attention to your post. I really hope someone can help you out with this.

Lissandria
June 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
:grouphug: that is awful :(
I have henndigoed hair that I am also trying to currently lighten/remove. I have no experience with colour oops though.
You could try diverbel's method with effasol- you may be able to remove all or even most of the henndigo in your hair - it completely removed her henndigo but what ever you do, strand test first. Even twice just to be sure. If you remove it you can start again.
Linky:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82679

ETA: I talk about removal methods I am currently experimenting with on my blog. Have a read. Many people have had success with the VitC and shampoo method to remove the green pigment that indigo leaves on their hair. It also works to lighten indigo and henna. You can crush some vitamin C tablets to a fine powder, mix with shampoo and apply to dry hair for one hour. LHC member GlennaGirl has used this method with success to lighten. Others have used it to remove their green. Othala also managed to remove her indigo simply with Rhassoul clay washing.

You also may be able to dye over the top of it with a chemical dye- but I would recommend you use a red dye first to try and neutralise the green. And please strand test ;)

HTH and I hope someone who knows more can help you :blossom:

JellyBene
June 5th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys. It looks terrible :(

JellyBene
June 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
:grouphug: that is awful :(
I have henndigoed hair that I am also trying to currently lighten/remove. I have no experience with colour oops though.
You could try diverbel's method with effasol- you may be able to remove all or even most of the henndigo in your hair - it completely removed her henndigo but what ever you do, strand test first. . Even twice just to be sure. If you remove it you can start again.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82679

ETA: I talk about removal methods I am currently experimenting with on my blog. Have a read. Many people have had success with the VitC and shampoo method to remove the green pigment that indigo leaves on their hair. It also works to lighten indigo and henna. You can crush some vitamin C tablets to a fine powder, mix with shampoo and apply to dry hair for one hour. LHC member GlennaGirl has used this method with success. Othala also managed to remove her indigo simply with Rhassoul clay washing.

You also may be able to dye over the top of it with a chemical dye- but I would recommend you use a red dye first to try and neutralise the green. And please strand test ;)

HTH and I hope someone who knows more can help you :blossom:
I worry that these methods could damage my hair

UltraBella
June 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
How big of a difference is there between your root area and the lengths ? Can you post a pic ?

Lissandria
June 6th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I worry that these methods could damage my hair

While you have my sympathy- Im not really sure that VitC lightening (while drying) would be any more damaging than Colour Oops (also drying). Same goes for Rhassoul clay.
I agree that Effasol would be a last resort for most. Using chemical dyes is also a choice that many wouldn't choose. I know if I had green hair, I would probably be willing to try anything that may work. But that is of course, up to you. :)

Can you post a picture?

Bene
June 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Is it Hulk green?

Mesmerise
June 6th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Oh gosh, I am sorry :( I think I warned you about that in the other thread! Still, others had had good results, so it was a fair enough thing to try!

My sister reversed her green hair by dyeing it with permanent black dye, but I don't think that's the best option for you considering you are trying to reduce the black and you probably don't want to damage your hair with chemicals.

Hmm my opinion may not be the best one... but I still think your hair looked really nice when it was black! Maybe you could just go back to using the henndigo and going over the greenishness??

luxepiggy
June 6th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I'm not too familiar with how henna & indigo work per se, but purely from a colour perspective it's fairly obvious what happened: not enough orange, too much blue!

In other words: not enough henna, too much indigo!

It all comes down to the colour wheel and colour mixing theory. In order to neutralize excessive green pigment, you need to add red. I would suggest going over the lot with an application of straight henna. That should kick out the green tones and take you back to brown.

pink.sara
June 6th, 2012, 04:43 AM
What Piggy said!

I did the same thing last year trying to get blue black and ended up with green on the roots where I didn't have enough henna colour.

An application of straight henna warmed the colour up really nicely and made my hair more of a darkest brown than black, it did shine red in sunlight though which was really pretty. But I ended up going over it with a purple non perm colour to make it blacker.

Defnitely too much indigo!

PolarCathy
June 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM
If I remember correctly, it's green because the bleach or whatever (color oops - what's that, I assume it's some kind of bleach) has removed the henna and your original pigments (light brown) so basically what you have now is "transparent" hair saturated with indigo if that makes sense. If color oops is not a bleach, I mean chemically, then the whole thing may not apply.

Luxiepiggy's suggestion makes sense, however what I recall reading about indigoed hair turning green is that henna won't cover it anymore. (Why, I don't know why, I just remember reading this, multiple times.))

I hope some people will chime in with first-hand experience (I have an exceptional memory but that's all I have).

fairystar32
June 6th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I would email hennasooq or post a message on the henna for hair forum, there are lots of admin on there who may know :( so sorry I LOVED your black and think its suits you.

Lissandria
June 6th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Luxiepiggy's suggestion makes sense, however what I recall reading about indigoed hair turning green is that henna won't cover it anymore. (Why, I don't know why, I just remember reading this, multiple times.))

Yeah I've heard this too. Still, its worth a shot, sounds like it has worked for pink.sara.

Tisiloves
June 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I would say try some straight henna, assuming the colour oops hasn't killed the keratin bonds.

fairystar32
June 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Had a quick search around and somebody rehennaed twice and it turned it brown. Its worth a try xx

cheetahfast
June 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Trying some henna over it should help, I would think.
It sounds like to me that the color oops removed more henna in certain areas than others, so you may have needed a stronger henna base.

Has it oxidized yet? It could be a false alarm, buxus turned my hair a grey-green several times, but each time it would oxidize I would get a nice brown, which I wanted.

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
nooo you have such lovely black
it's ok it's ok don't worry you might just need to apply henna alone on top of it..

dollyfish
June 6th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Like others have said, more henna would probably help. Think about it from a color perspective, like the way we use makeup. Your hair is green, so you need red to neutralize. I recommend using 100% henna on your hair; combined with the green, you'll likely end up with brown.

JellyBene
June 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Most of the green washed off my length after I shampood but my roots are still super green. I would agree with Piggy's theory of too much indigo except that I have been using this same henna mix for nearly a year with no problems. Perhaps the Color Oops prevented the henna from sticking and only the indigo stuck? I am truly at a loss forwhat to do. Heres what it looks like except it is far more electric-lime in person.
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/downsized_0606121224.jpg

JellyBene
June 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Most of the green washed off my length after I shampood but my roots are still super green. I would agree with Piggy's theory of too much indigo except that I have been using this same henna mix for nearly a year with no problems. Perhaps the Color Oops prevented the henna from sticking and only the indigo stuck? I am truly at a loss forwhat to do. Heres what it looks like except it is far more electric-lime in person.
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/downsized_0606121224.jpg

cheetahfast
June 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Has it oxidized yet??
I would henna just the roots.

For me making the mix even would be an issue, so perhaps the roots got a stronger bit of indigo than 75%? I'm just guessing though, it could have been because of the color oops.

GlennaGirl
June 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
You can crush some vitamin C tablets to a fine powder, mix with shampoo and apply to dry hair for one hour. LHC member GlennaGirl has used this method with success to lighten.

This is true! Despite my jokes about the permanency of henna, I did lighten at least the indigo part appreciably with Vitamin C tablets. Fair warning: it is very very very very drying. Very. Follow up with a huge fat ol' handful of something very reparative and moisturizing, then with something moisturizing for the next few washes/COs.

I still definitely have reddish hair. That's totally fine with me, though!

Tisiloves
June 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Yeah, that definitely looks like indigo overdose/lack of henna sticking. I would suggest that if you have some left you henna again.

jillosity
June 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Vitamin C!!! I've been trying to remove henndigo also ( http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=94204 ) and it reduced the green-ness and also did the best job of lightening my hair, but my hair is still plenty black.

I used to get the greenies when I henndigo'd, we have extremely hard water here, so I would henndigo again :(

Good luck

henné
June 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Perhaps try some henna on the roots first and go from there ...

I'm sorry this happened to you ...

GOOD LUCK to you! Let us know what you did and post pics!

JellyBene
June 8th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I'm scared to try vitamin C because I have put so much effort into the health of my hair and I don'twant to dry it out, I will try the henna first, if that doesn't work I plan to use a 'natural' black dye from the health food store on just the roots and then go back to henndigo next time.

pink.sara
June 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I didn't find Vitamin C too awful myself, I've used it 3 times in the past 2 weeks to fade black. I mixed about 10 crushed effervescent Vitamin C tablets with cheap apple shampoo and let it sit on wet hair for an hour at a time. It is drying though and you would need a very moisturising treatment afterwards.

Honestly though in all my experiments removing or adding henna/indigo and dye, vitamin C doesn't fade henna and indigo well at all, it works slightly on chemical oxidative dyes and fantastically on Manic Panic type veggie dyes. So I wouldn't recommend it.

On another note when trying to achieve darkest brown black a mix of henna and indigo never worked for me on virgin roots. Either the henna would stick or the indigo would turn me green for a month then wash out. I always had to 2 step the roots.

Good luck with your henna :flower:

GlennaGirl
June 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Did you re-henna, Jelly Bene? How did it turn out?

JellyBene
June 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I havent done it yet GlannaGirl, I don'tget paid til monday and I have no money for henna right now

Lissandria
June 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I really hope that re hennaing brings your hair back into the black/brown spectrum. Please let us know how you get on :flower:

queenofkohl
June 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I have been coloring my hair black with the same hendigo mix once a month for 10 months. I really love the black but decided to experiment to see if I could get it to a dark brown instead. Upon reccomendation from others here I did 2 applications of color oops. It lightened my roots to my natural color (light brown) and turned the length blue black. I decided to just keep it black, after all it was just an experiment! So I went over it with my usual mix of 75% indigo 25% henna, black tea and a little salt. But it turned my roots ELECTRIC green and my length this awful black-khaki green. What happened and what should I do?! can anyone help me? :(
Henna is a natural plant derived powder and wont mix like regular hair color nor does normal haircolor color on top of henna and you have to normally wait until it grows out.
Use the black henna again to rework your hair and dont mix anything into it. Luckily you mix henna (normally) with water and there is no ammonia to halm or strip your hair. You can henna again without damaging your cuticles.
Hope you get it sorted soon!

queenofkohl
June 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Henna is a natural plant derived powder and wont mix like regular hair color nor does normal haircolor color on top of henna and you have to normally wait until it grows out.
Use the black henna again to rework your hair and dont mix anything into it. Luckily you mix henna (normally) with water and there is no ammonia to halm or strip your hair. You can henna again without damaging your cuticles.
PS try and always do a patch test prior to full head color when you're experimenting! :) good luck.

jillosity
June 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I didn't find Vitamin C to be drying at all, but my hair was pretty healthy to begin with. I would be very cautious henna-ing over the green, I've read some accounts where the greenness never goes away and was still visible through henna applications.

I just came back from Sally's with a bottle of Clairol Beautiful Collection deposit only color for my red roots, I am done with permanent color, natural or otherwise!

JellyBene
June 9th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I really hope that re hennaing brings your hair back into the black/brown spectrum. Please let us know how you get on :flower:

Lissindra, I will absolutely let you know how it goes, thank you so much for caring :) and queenofkohl, in my experience henna can be colored over with chemical dye as long as it is free of metallic salts

JellyBene
June 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Green is fixed! I went over the whole thing with Clairol Natural Instincts in midnight black and it turned out great. I would have done the henna but I am a bit wary of it at the moment after seeing what happened. Maybe I will give it another go when it comes time for a touch up. But for those of you who read my previous thread about wishing to lighten my henndigo black to a warm brown, the dye I used seems to have given it a wonderful warm, brown glow. I couldn't be happier.Ii will post pics as soon as possible but it is 1:15 AM here (I just couldn't wait to let you all know!!!!)

Lissandria
June 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Green is fixed! I went over the whole thing with Clairol Natural Instincts in midnight black and it turned out great. I would have done the henna but I am a bit wary of it at the moment after seeing what happened. Maybe I will give it another go when it comes time for a touch up. But for those of you who read my previous thread about wishing to lighten my henndigo black to a warm brown, the dye I used seems to have given it a wonderful warm, brown glow. I couldn't be happier.Ii will post pics as soon as possible but it is 1:15 AM here (I just couldn't wait to let you all know!!!!)

:cheese:

cheering for you! Glad it's fixed and glad to see you have some desired warm tones in your hair.

GlennaGirl
June 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Yaaay! Oh, so relieved for you. Isn't it nice to love your hair again? :)

PolarCathy
June 10th, 2012, 01:26 AM
What a relief it must be :)

JellyBene
June 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
It is a SERIOUS relief!!! Now for the final test, lets see if the color sticks, fingers crossed...

pink.sara
June 11th, 2012, 03:35 AM

So glad to hear you fixed it!! And that it is the colour you wanted :)