PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone lightened their hair with dye and then henna right after?

Anapeli
June 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I posted last week about henna'ing my hair and everyone was so helpful! Now I just want to know if anyone has dark hair, lightened it with bleach or dye and then hennad. If you have before and after pics, please post!! Thank you!

cthulhuapproved
June 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well, my entire head isn't lightened, but I have maintained a handful of blonde streaks in my otherwise medium/dark hair for quite awhile. I hennaed over it this way (to be honest, I was hesitant that the blonde streaks would come out bozo orange and the rest would be a dark red), and it looks just fine. The lightened parts just look how the henna would on lighter hair---nothing surprising or outrageous. I posted a few pics of it on the "show me your hennaed hair!" thread a few months ago.

Touching it up is a pain, but it was pre-henna, as well. I wouldn't say that having the henna over it made it any easier or more difficult to maintain.

Hope this helps! :)

akilina
June 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I have used color oops in my hair and applied henna the next day. Ill usually use color oops at night then henna the next morning with no problems. If you can see albums I have a henna album of before and after and before hand I had lightened some color out.

Anapeli
June 5th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Ladies, thank you!

Cthulhuapproved, I don't think I'll have huge issues but we shall see! My hair is so dark that if I don't lift some of the color, I'll never achieve the coppery orange I love. Your highlights sound lovely!

Akilina, i had tried color oops before to remove black dye and thats where my obsession began with auburn. After a couple of applications of the color oops, my hair was this gorgeous auburn / copper color for a day. The next time I colored my hair it disappeared forever. So, I'm back to lightening it, and tryin henna. My hair can't take much more abuse so, plan to lighten, henna and for touch ups, lighten only roots and henna only roots.
I might lighten this morning and then henna tonight. Wish me luck!!

Blessing to all!

red-again
June 5th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I bleach bathed my very dark hair in february this year. Did it twice and then added full strength bleach streaks to go punk red. looked awful, made me look older and was patchy and my hair was not up for another bleach bath to even things up even if it had suited me!
I re-hennaed and then used indigo as a two step. After the henna though my hair was very bright, the ultimate copper orange. I suit cooler tones though so applied the indigo to go blacky brown. But for you, when your actually aiming for coppery red, I think it will work really well. Bleach though removes/damages the keratin in your hair, henna binds to the keratin so in theory if there is not much keratin left in a good enough state, you may not get good uptake. You can remedy this apparently by doing a protein treatment before hennaing. I would just try henna though first off as it'll save you the bother and cost of a protein treatment.

Happy hennaing

Anapeli
June 5th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Thank you, Red-again! I will try posting picks when I allowed. Your hair in your avatar looks gorgeous! I decided that if this doesn't work, I'm doing henna-indigo. I note that my hair looks alot healthier dark. I'm just tired of dark hair. I'm getting older and dark hair looks better in me only when I am tan but tabbing isn't a good idea at my age! What to do! I should just be happy with what I have!

lundmir
June 5th, 2012, 11:43 PM
My natural hair color is bluish black, and I lighten it with bleach, then henna and most of the times add a deposit only color to get a more vibrant red.

Here's my most recent henna, before the deposit color:

http://i.imgur.com/MbqqJl.jpg

Anapeli
June 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Lundmir, your hair is beautiful! Do you think you hair still feels healthy after bleaching and henna'ing? In other words, henna helps make up for the affects of bleaching?

lundmir
June 6th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you! It definitely feels very healthy, just the same as my virgin hair. And I never get any split ends or any damage, actually. I do protect it with virgin coconut oil at least an hour before I bleach, so there's that added protection.
I also only bleach/dye my roots, so I do it only once.

The main reason I henna besides for color, is that it makes my hair feel thicker. It is very fine, so it adds some weight!

Anapeli
June 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Thank you very much for your tips. I love coconut oil. It's my goto treatment for all situations!

Loviatar
June 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I bleached my whole head (over a heavy coconut oiling) and then hennaed. It looked and felt amazing and it was flaming orange. There are pics somewhere on LHC of how it turned out.

I had to use decent conditioners afterwards, obviously, but I went from dyed dark brown to bleached apricot blonde and then the henna took it to bright orange. I loved it. But it was a pain having to have the roots done in-salon and then coming home to henna etc.

My only problem was that it looked seriously trashed if it rained! Even though I knew it wasn't. My hair when bleached goes very 'stringy' looking in the rain.