PDA

View Full Version : desperate with my so dry hair!!

crouchy
July 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
hey all!
I need some help here with my hair.First of all,let me tell you that this last december 07;I had a chemical treatment that totaly devastated my hair!!(I wanted to go from a reddish burgundy to blonde)I don't know what went trought my head this day!Anyway,since then,I've deeply condishionned ,I did hot oil treatments,I tried almost evrything(mayo treatment,avocado,all the oils in the world,shea butter,mango butter,coconut,indian herbs treatment and so on.
I've tried organic stuff,but also the more chemical brands(john frieda,l'oreal etc...)
I did start to henna on march,I can say that henna helped me built up my hair.But still,my hair feels very dry and thirsty.This week-end,I did a camelia oil treatment before my shampoo,and still nothing...(I am using an organic shampoo for dry hair and an organic deep condish)
Any advices please?I'm considering cutting it

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Crouchy

There are lots of people here who will be able to give you excellent advice, but let's get the ball rolling with my basic knowledge ;)

First of all, I know lots of people have great success with misting and oiling. Maybe you could try one of the heavier hair-friendly oils, like avocado? I found it super-softening when I was trying to nurse my strands back to health!

Have you heard of Snowy's Moisture Treatment? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment Lots of members swear by this! Again, I found it very softening and moisturising. You'll find all sorts of tips for the method in that thread.

What is your current care routine? It might be useful if you post that here. I'm sure lots of people will be able to give you ideas on adjusting that to pamper your hair a little more while you try to restore its condition.

When I posted about battling with my dry hair someone suggested that perhaps it was damage rather than dryness, which requires a different approach. I did finally accept that the last 2" of my hair were just damaged and, after moisturising the heck out of my hair for the last five months I have now trimmed my hair to remove the damaged ends. The rest of my hair feels lovely and soft now so I know I did the right thing. I'm not suggesting that you should run for the scissors, I am just repeating the advice that someone offered me at the time! And I stress that I worked on my hair for several months before deciding that those ends were indeed damaged and not just dry! :) When I did eventually decide to trim I did so in two sessions, one month apart, so that I didn't get carried away and cut off more than I needed to!

I'm sure you'll get lots more responses here and there are plenty of people who've been here far longer than I have! I'm still a newbie :D

Good luck, and keep us updated!

mommy2one05
July 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Have you tried maybe a heavy oiling or a deep treatment left in overnight....just bun or braid your hair and you could cover it with a shower cap or something. You could even do heavy oilings for a few days before washing. Just apply alot of oil and then bun and then that evening or the next morning take it down and do the same and then put it up again. Just some ideas. Hope you get to keep your hair...I personally hate losing any length.

MusingFrog
July 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM
My first thought is to stop trying lots and lots of different things and instead stick to one for awhile and see what happens. If you are dealing with chemical damage there isn't going to be a conditioner or technique that will majically change your hair back to normal.

Second thought is, have you clarified in awhile? It may be nothing is working because you have build up from everything you've tried which is blocking anything good from getting in. So, before you do anything else, I'd get a shampoo that has clarifying in the title and us it. Once you've done that you'll know nothing is on your hair.

Once that is done I'd go with deep conditioning treatments. I personally have not had a lot of success with SMT's, but other people have (see two posts up). I'd go with those.

spidermom
July 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Oh dear. I'm sure you can get your hair to look and behave better, but I suspect that the damage is irreversible. Perhaps you can take a page from Nightshade's book and trim half or all your growth every month until the worst damage is gone.

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I second the idea of clarifying, it sounds like you have done a lot of different things that have coated your hair. I also agree with oiling, there are lots out there so it can be a hassle. I favor grapeseed oil, alot like coconut, camellia, etc. you get the idea. Also, for very bad patches, I tend to favor search and destroy sessions. You just pick through and trim individual hairs that look or feel absolutely horrendous. That tends to help me alot, I get rid of the worst of the damage and I feel I have some control over my hair. If you find you need to trim nearly every hair, it is probably a good idea to get a trim.

wintersun99
July 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I second/third/fourth (?) the suggestion of clarifying. You can do it easily by using a non-'cone shampoo mixed with some baking soda. Then, try to discover if your hair is lacking protein, moisture, or both.

My hair is in a similiar condition and I have found that using a good protein conditioner (I favor Biolage reconstructor) after every wash and a weekly deep treatment for moisture (I favor 50:50 honey/no-'cone conditioner mix) has done wonders for my dry/cruncy damaged ends.

p.s. if you're interested in trying to do this au'naturel then you could try mayo or yogurt packs for protein and cassia for condition

spidermom
July 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
No-no! I highly discourage baking soda on fine hair. It made my hair matt together like felt. Honestly, I couldn't get a comb or fingers through it. I had to do deep conditioning treatments every single day for two solid weeks before my hair returned to normal. Crouchy - I advise you to do a deep conditioning treatment every day or as close to every day as you can; it might help a lot.

You can clarify with a clarifying shampoo. They are much gentler than baking soda, and they do work.

wintersun99
July 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
ahh, good point - I didn't catch the hair type!

missy60
July 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM
What really helped me was gobbing on conditioner and applying oil over that. I left this on over night and washed out the next morning. Sometimes if I wasnt going any where I would just apply more oil and put my hair up until I needed to go out. Deep treatments with heat are really great also. I misted my hair several times a day, I would misted everytime my ends started feeing dry. I used a protein treatment when my hair started feeling stretchy and always follow protein with moisture.

I cut out all protein from my products and just used protein treatments as needed. Protein over load can make your hair dry and snappy. My hair finally got better but there is no instant treatment you will just have to keep up with a routine to see any results.

Kirin
July 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
if your hair is fine, and already feeling dried out do NOT USE baking soda. You'll regret it!

Try this regimen:

Condition wash only with a cheap silicone free conditioner (vo5, suave, white rain). Do this every day using an EGG size amount in your palm of conditioner, rinsing well. On Sunday of every week, shampoo once with a clarifying shampoo, then condition twice. Thursday, use a regular shampoo, then condition twice.

Oil the ends of your hair with a drop of two of your favorite oil before bed at least twice a week.

You'll see improvement within the first week.

lora410
July 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
clarify and do not shampoo it daily. I am one day wash,then condish only for 2 days, and then wash. Even then I only shampoo my scalp. You may also have to leave some oil in overnight and the whole next day to see results. Also apply oil on damp hair so it doesn't seal out mositure, but lock it in.

jojo
July 29th, 2008, 01:57 AM
When my hair gets like this I just mix a little honey and lemon juice (1 table spoon no more or its drying) with a huge lot of conditioner, place on damp hair and leave over night with cling film on overnight.

Cassia mixed with hotwater and loads of conditioner, also helps make hair softer too.

mellie
July 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I too have had wonderful conditioning with honey. I mixed mine with some chamomile and mullein tea and a splash of lemon. It lightened my hair a little but left it beautifully soft and shiny!

Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=9743

After 1 treatment of Mellie's Mix:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=9747

burns_erin
July 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I use herbal essence Degunkify to clarify and it works for me and my fine hair without much trouble.

I also agree that shampooing scalp only is very helpful as well.