PDA

View Full Version : When Braiding do you Twist?

StormVixen
February 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM
If so which way?

I've heard twisting the strands of a braid keeps it neater for longer but I'm confused as to which way to twist...

Say I'm doing a basic 3 strand English braid...

I bring the left strand over to the middle and twist it inwards/clockwise, then I bring the right strand to over the middle and twist inwards/anti-clockwise... because thats the way the strands feel like they want to twist. (left/right as in the sides of the body)

does that make any sense at all?

papera
February 16th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I've never heard of twisting hair when braiding ... but maybe somebody else has :confused:

But would it not twist the whole braid when you twist every single strand??

StormVixen
February 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I do think it twists the braid because your twisting each side the opposite direction to the other... :)

Madora
February 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Never twisted any braid of any variety..unless it was rope braids, which are a different animal altogether.

When braiding you always want the strands to be facing downward so that they are in the correct position for the next braiding step.

svehex
February 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I don't twist, but I might try it to make my braids cleaner. Thanks :)

StormVixen
February 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
thanks Madora :) when I twist (not tightly) they do still go downwards, I was just trying to explain the direction of the twist, I think inwards might be a better word to use, it really is hard to explain... :/

spidermom
February 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I think whichever motion feels most natural would be the best. I've tried twisting while braiding, but it didn't help. My braids are always messy within an hour if I leave them hang. The only way to keep a braid neat for me is to bun it.

lapushka
February 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM
thanks Madora :) when I twist (not tightly) they do still go downwards, I was just trying to explain the direction of the twist, I think inwards might be a better word to use, it really is hard to explain... :/

Yeah, I get it, it's the way you hold the strands while crossing them over, there's a bit of a twist action going on when you fold those strands over. It's normal, though, isn't it? But it's not like completely twisting the strands, is it?

Anywhere
February 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I only "twist" by my wrist twisting the strands about for braiding. No manual intentional twisting, only twisting that happens naturally.

Madora
February 16th, 2012, 04:12 PM

No worries, StormVixen:).

I suppose if you were just experimenting you could twist the hair (gently) then direct it wherever it was to go next..but it would be a pain to keep the torque just right..not to mention the bottom hairs from braiding together.

Yozhik
February 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I don't twist when I braid my hair, unless it's rope braiding. :p

Maybe I'll give it a go next time I braid to see if it does anything. Thanks for the suggestion!

MissManda
February 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Yes, I gently twist the individual strands two or three times while I am braiding. It really does make my braid super snug and keeps the crazy hairs more tame than they would otherwise be. Since the braid is so snug, though, it is kind of stiff so it doesn't drape nicely, plus it isn't as easy to put into an updo.