PDA

View Full Version : Left chamomile tea in my hair overnight. ☼Very Large Pics☼

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM
It lightened my hair a lot more than I though it would. My hair is dirty in the pics but I wanted to post how it looks. I wish I had some good before pics but I don't. I can just show you the results. My ends are less green from when it was blue thank goodness.

I will do it again. Probably use chamomile tea instead of sun-in.

My ends, much less green.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture111-1.jpg

My roots. Dirty but lighter which is nice.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture110.jpg

Much closer close up.....
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture114.jpg

And the full monty...
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/forlhcnewcolor.jpg

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Very good results

MonaMayfair
February 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM
The color looks really pretty!

moon2dove
February 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Good results with a nice colour :)

mzBANGBANG
February 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I love your color! Thinking of trying honey, myself.

blondie9912
February 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
It looks good on your hair! When I left very strong chamomile tea in my hair while out in the sun( this is back when I had blonde highlights) , it made my hair YELLOW. It was an awful colour...definitely will never do that agan. Glad it worked for you though :)

ktani
February 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Great results!

It is said that it is azulene, http://www.folica.com/hair-care/shampoos/phyto-phytargent-whitening-shampoo-six-seven-ounce
"Thanks to its formula enriched with azulene, a natural substance extracted from Chamomile, PHYTARGENT both whitens hair and soothes the scalp. Its "whitening" action is cumulative and reinforced after each new application."

and possiblly bisabolol in the chamomile that is causing that. I have not researched it thoroughly. If it works for you that is great!

Honestwitness
February 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
According to my limited research, there is one particular kind of chamomile that whitens hair and that is German chamomile. I haven't tried any herbal teas in my white hair, but I would be very unhappy if anything turned it yellow.

ktani
February 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM
What kind/brand of tea did you use? - kind of chamomile - the tea is usually Maticaria chamomilla or German chamomile as opposed to Anthemis nobilis or Roman chamomile.

ETA: I have not checked this out.
http://thegreenbeautyguide.com/petite-marie-organics-acne-products-why-when-and-how/
"Thanks to azulene and bisabolol, chamomile also lightens the uneven skin pigmentation, often the case of post-acne marks."

However, your results support the action.

Chamomile tea did not lighten my hair but I did not leave it on for as long as you did and I have read about and seen it lighten hair - not a lot -for others.

I have written here that it does not lighten hair, just add colour that I knew of then. There obviously is more to it that warrants another look at it.

ETA:2 In a honey lightening recipe replacing distilled water, it added a gold tone to ash blonde hair and the lightening result was not great. The pH of chamomile being acidic probably contributed to the lack of good lightening results too. It is no longer recommended for use with honey.

Used on its own however, as you used it, it may be a nice option for lightening.

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Very good results!!! :)

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
It's the german kind. When I washed it out in the morning I almost squealed at how much it lightened.

When I went with my friend to get her hair cut her colorist loved my color and asked what kind of hair color I used.

I proudly told her chamomile tea.

My hair lightens easily. 5 mins in the sun, sun-in even without heat. Thats just how my hair reacts to things.

3/4 of my hair has these strands that are shiny and look like plastic. If I dont add color they are clear or transparent. It's what makes my hair so susceptible to light I think.

ktani
February 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It's the german kind. When I washed it out in the morning I almost squealed at how much it lightened.

When I went with my friend to get her hair cut her colorist loved my color and asked what kind of hair color I used.

I proudly told her chamomile tea.

My hair lightens easily. 5 mins in the sun, sun-in even without heat. Thats just how my hair reacts to things.

3/4 of my hair has these strands that are shiny and look like plastic. If I dont add color they are clear or transparent. It's what makes my hair so susceptible to light I think.

From what I have read in the meantime, the German chamomile has a high content of azulene.

Your hair looks beautiful. Well done!

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I love your color! Thinking of trying honey, myself.
I haven't tried honey yet. If I did I would be chewing on my hair. LOL not really but it does sound tasty.

ktani
February 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I haven't tried honey yet. If I did I would be chewing on my hair. LOL not really but it does sound tasty.

The new recipes are edible but you have done very well on your own, lol.

Springlets
February 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Where did you get the tea? Or what brand is it? I didn't know there was such a difference between German and Roman chamomile.

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Its a store brand here in michigan. Meijer herbal.

Springlets
February 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Okay thanks. If I can find some german chamomile, I'll be trying this experiment too!
ETA: Okay I see that this is the type of chamomile they use in the John Freida Go Blonder shampoo which I have. I'd rather find a tea than use shampoo in my hair all night but meh I'm okay with either.

FrozenBritannia
February 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I did that a few years ago, and it lightened my hair too, i didn't leave it on very long though (i think half an hour?) so it more went red, than blonde (from light brown)

mz_butterfly
February 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I am amazed that chamomile tea can lighten hair, it looks really good. Did it cause any dryness?

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I am amazed that chamomile tea can lighten hair, it looks really good. Did it cause any dryness?
Not really. My hair was dirty when I put it in. While it dried my hair did get stiff. but when I rinsed it out it was fine.