PDA

View Full Version : 2C hair types did you loose your waves once it got longer.

bunzfan
February 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I have noticed the last few weeks that my waves seem to be disappearing:( i always liked having wavy hair and now i'm really close to waist my hair only has a slight wave in it.

Here is my hair shorter.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/001-61.jpg

Here taken last month.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/008-22.jpg

What can i do apart from braiding it which gives me very defined braid waves, i don't want layers really because i wear it up 24/7 and do braids but its feels soft of flat and straight. The only thing that is different is i went back to shampoo a few months back because co washing didn't seem to be working any more, i recently tried Avocado oil that couldn't be to heavy could it i thought it was a light oil :confused: i do have fine hair but a lot of it maybe putting oil on it weekly is overkill it's so soft that i have a problem putting my hair up.

littleizz
February 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I worried about losing curl as my hair got heavier, but I honestly don't think I have at all. It looks like you've brushed your hair out in these two pictures. If your hair is truly 2C and you want to keep waves/curls, I would suggest taking a look at some curly hair-care methods around here. There's a lot of good info at ylcf.org, including before and after shampoo pics (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/) and washing methods (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlycare/) :)

As far as going back to shampoo after trying CO, I felt my hair was getting build-up and heavy after COing after a while, too, I just did a rinse with baking soda and it COMPLETELY brought it back to life :) Curls don't like 'poo!

bunzfan
February 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I worried about losing curl as my hair got heavier, but I honestly don't think I have at all. It looks like you've brushed your hair out in these two pictures. If your hair is truly 2C and you want to keep waves/curls, I would suggest taking a look at some curly hair-care methods around here. There's a lot of good info at ylcf.org, including before and after shampoo pics (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/) and washing methods (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlycare/) :)

As far as going back to shampoo after trying CO, I felt my hair was getting build-up and heavy after COing after a while, too, I just did a rinse with baking soda and it COMPLETELY brought it back to life :) Curls don't like 'poo!

Yes your right my hair is brushed out in those pictures, i have always done that maybe i should just comb it with my bone comb i just like tangle free hair mainly for wearing it up.

princessp
February 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Yes, this has happened to me too. But I didn't really notice too much until TB. It is weird, but probably just as well because anything shorter than BSL is far too "big" for me to handle. :)

ETA: You have reminded me, I should probably change my stats because I'm a solid 2c now.

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yes! I'm only at shoulder and my hair is starting to look like 1c-2a range. I used to be a 2a-2c range.

littleizz
February 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Yes your right my hair is brushed out in those pictures, i have always done that maybe i should just comb it with my bone comb i just like tangle free hair mainly for wearing it up.Whenever I brush my curls they go all wonky. I used to detangle after showering, but even THAT messed them up sometimes. Now, I detangle/brush BEFORE showering. As long as you don't pile your hair on your head when you wash it (which isn't good for any hair type), it should stay relatively untangled. Then you can just shake it out a little once you're out of the shower, put in a very little bit of oil if you want, and don't touch it 'til it air dries. See how that works :) If you're still not happy with the amount of curls you can try plopping (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop).

BeckyAH
February 10th, 2012, 01:32 PM
My hair actually went the reverse. The longer it's gotten the more curl it's developed. Or maybe I just learned to encourage the curl better - but I've gone from a 2c to a solid 3a over the past four inches or so of my hair.

BUT mine is only at about BSL length right now.

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
mine come and go, it really depends on the day,s&c i use,brush.weather etc
i thought i lost mine too but the last weeks i had some really curly days so im not sure,dont brush it i would say

bunzfan
February 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I just had a thought its been a lot straighter since i started using henna but, if i dry it with the diffuser it goes really curly i get spirals, maybe i could try drying with the diffuser until its 50% dry to encourage the curls.

spidermom
February 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I do lose my wurlies faster now (which is nice; I've always liked my hair straight), but I still get good results from washing before bed, then puddling my hair into the space above my pillow. I wedge a 2nd pillow between mattress and bedframe so that my hair doesn't slip over the edge of the mattress and hang.

Oh, and a little gel fingered through helps curl formation.

I only brush my hair before washing it. Brushing pulls out the waves more than anything else, including combing.

hmmruka
February 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
When my hair was brastrap length and shorter I was mostly a 3a, in some areas even a 3b (I consider myself a wurly because in some places I have waves, in others spirals so it's hard to truely type my hair.). Now that I am past waist moving twords hip, I am a 2c on my curliest days. I often bun my hair for the first few hours after washing so it usually has even less curl. I think I have lost a lot of curl due to the sheer weight of it now that it is so long. Maybe thats the same for you? Also I loose a lot of curl from brushing and even combing, and that has been true no matter what the length.

Bedhead
February 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I have to say no in my experience, although the longest my hair has ever been is probably comparable to what you have now. At the moment I'm on NW/SO so the sebum is straightening out my hair, which sucks because the layers were cut for curls. Anyway, before that, with WO, and S&C, the strongest influences were the weather and whether I used a brush of not, other than that it was what I did with it, as in what I put in my hair after washing, how I dried it etc.. But, yeah, start by putting the brush down for a while.

Cara Heather
February 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Use S & C for curls and scrunch dry... ends to root with a palm squeeze.. if that makes sense. Also don't brush/comb as it drys or as it is dried~ Comb only with conditioner or right after shower... I know combing wet is bad but curly heads look better doing it then vs later.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Is the baking soda thing color safe? I am having a problem with curl loss, but i think it is an unbalanced protein and moisture issue

littleizz
February 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Is the baking soda thing color safe? I am having a problem with curl loss, but i think it is an unbalanced protein and moisture issueI don't currently color my hair, but have henna that I'm going to apply once my bangs grow out a little longer. I only use baking soda maybe twice a month, and it's only a few tablespoons dissolved in a water bottle that I squirt, massage the scalp for a few seconds to loosen up any oil or residue, and rinse out. I might see it jeopardizing color if you let it sit in your hair every time you wash it, but I don't, as I'm sure that would be very drying :)

turtlelover
February 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I lose curl when I get to waist, though layers help a LOT with that. So did diffusing rather than air drying. If I blew dry upside down, my curls didn't pull out from the weight of my hair.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I don't currently color my hair, but have henna that I'm going to apply once my bangs grow out a little longer. I only use baking soda maybe twice a month, and it's only a few tablespoons dissolved in a water bottle that I squirt, massage the scalp for a few seconds to loosen up any oil or residue, and rinse out. I might see it jeopardizing color if you let it sit in your hair every time you wash it, but I don't, as I'm sure that would be very drying :)

I might try this, i hope it works for residue.

patienceneeded
February 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
My waves can be fairly straight or spiral-up, it really depends on how/when I've washed it, if I've combed/brushed recently, what products I've used, etc. My hair can look anywhere from a 2a to a 3a depending on the day.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
When my hair was brastrap length and shorter I was mostly a 3a, in some areas even a 3b (I consider myself a wurly because in some places I have waves, in others spirals so it's hard to truely type my hair.). Now that I am past waist moving twords hip, I am a 2c on my curliest days. I often bun my hair for the first few hours after washing so it usually has even less curl. I think I have lost a lot of curl due to the sheer weight of it now that it is so long. Maybe thats the same for you? Also I loose a lot of curl from brushing and even combing, and that has been true no matter what the length.

I think I'm in the same boat as you. When it was shorter, my hair was definitely a 3a at the very least. I don't often let it dry loose, but every time I do I'm surprised at how much less curly it is now that it's hip length. I think I may have to accept that I'm a 2b, but it'll take some getting used to.

Cirafly24
February 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Yes...when my hair was about APL, it was solid 2c. Now that it's almost classic, it varies between 2a-2c. If I keep combing it while it's drying, it could even be more like 1c.

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mine seems to be more surly actually... weird...

Firefly
February 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Not really. If I leave it to dry untouched, it's still very 2c. One thing that's different though is that when I comb it out to make it dry straighter (as I usually do), the straight holds better now than it did at shorter lengths-- probably the weight helps hold it down.

Kelikea
February 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
My wave pattern is pretty much the same, whether it is BSL, waist, or hip. It pulls out slightly easier at waist-hip, but it is still there. Combing while wet pulls my waves out the most. So, I either comb with conditioner in the shower, before rinsing, or wait until my hair is dry. After it is dry, I de-tangle and mist with water and scrunch. Scrunching with a product, like a little gel, helps hold the curl.

jeanniet
February 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mine is still there just as much, but it also brushes out very easily. I only brush a few times a week to get out all the loose hairs and distribute oils a bit. If I want my curls/waves to stay in as much as possible, I only use a very wide-toothed comb.

bunzfan
February 11th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Thank you all so much i just tried this morning spraying my hair with some water and scrunching a CG curl approved curl cream in and its gone really wavy:) So maybe i was going wrong by combing it with a tangle teezer after my shower when its semi dry, i think i will go back to my bone comb the problem i have you see is i like to get all the knots out and have it tangle free for putting it up.

Thanks for linking the article on wavy hair i had never seen that before and i have a feeling i have been putting to much moisture and oils into my hair thinking it would encourage the waves more. Maybe hennaed hair doesn't need as much conditioner as i thought or i might try a protein conditioner because normally i try a moisture conditioner at every wash.

Hairwish
February 11th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Yes, before I hit waist my hair was a 2c, sometimes even 3a. Now, at fingertip, I'm a 2a-2b. But I believe some of my texture change was also due to damage.

bunzfan
February 11th, 2012, 03:34 AM
So i wanted to start a fresh and try again with a curl cream so i clarified 3 times because my hair felt so coney and weighed down for some reason. After wards i scrunched a drop of oil and a lot of curl cream an used a diffuser so it 20% dry and just left it and i can't believe the difference.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4070/003kzz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/003kzz.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8945/002yfc.jpg
By wavyone (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/wavyone) at 2012-02-11

It almost looks curly, i just hope tomorrows hair doesn't look a tangled mess that's usually what happens unless i brush it.

DarkSky
February 11th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Your hair is looking amazing bunzfan.

I think I have finally figured out a routine that has been working for me somewhat consistently. I want to share it with you in case there is something in there that might work for you. First off I'll CO wash most of the time but I'll use a little sulfate or sulfate free shampoo maybe once a month when I feel the need to clarify.

1. Condition wash with Tresumme naturals or Suave conditioner
2. Gently message my scalp and comb or brush through my hair.
3. Rinse and gently wring out hair
4. Gently rake through a quarter size or less amount of conditioner for leave in, and then the same amount of hard hold gel (like GF pure clean gel or Biosilk rock hard gelee).
5. Finger comb hair to get the desired part/style etc.
6. "plop" hair in a micofiber towel for 5-10min. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop
7. In winter I'll diffuse my hair (in a scrunching upwards fashion) until my hair is 50-70% dry. I will not touch my hair again till it's totally dry.
9. Once hair is totally dry I will scrunch out the crunchies :)

After the wash I don't use a comb or brush until day 2 or just before going to bed. Day 2 hair I'll lightly comb with a wide tooth comb and scrunch in a little bit of Herbal Essences Totally twisted gel. Day 3 will probably be an updo day or CO wash day.

DarkSky
February 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Also want to add that I lost my curl too. I used to be a 3b but since having kids I'm now more of a 2c/3a. Hormones can really change things. Also the winter weather can loosen curls and waves.

Kelikea
February 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thank you all so much i just tried this morning spraying my hair with some water and scrunching a CG curl approved curl cream in and its gone really wavy:) So maybe i was going wrong by combing it with a tangle teezer after my shower when its semi dry, i think i will go back to my bone comb the problem i have you see is i like to get all the knots out and have it tangle free for putting it up.

Thanks for linking the article on wavy hair i had never seen that before and i have a feeling i have been putting to much moisture and oils into my hair thinking it would encourage the waves more. Maybe hennaed hair doesn't need as much conditioner as i thought or i might try a protein conditioner because normally i try a moisture conditioner at every wash.

I didn't see anyone mention this yet, but if so, I'll reiterate. Henna seems to cause a lot of people's curl to relax a bit. There was a thread about this somewhere. Maybe that is part of why you are losing curl? I also agree with the use of tangle teaser while semi-dry. That would pull out the curl in my hair. De-tangle before showering, while coated with conditioner, but not while drying. After drying, you can detangle, but then mist with water and scrunch. Detangle again before bed and in the morning for day 2 hair, but you will need to mist and scrunch again, or do the handfulls of water trick to re-moisten without showering again. Waves and curls need to be re-set with water each time they are brushed or combed out or they will get looser each time. I use a bit of gel for hold, but dilute it with a bit of water.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Mine seems to be more surly actually... weird...

Surly hair, lol love it! Mine certainly is like that in humidity.

elthia
February 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I've lost a lot of waves and curls. I believe it is a combination of length and henna. I haven't tried amla yet, but I have bought some to try with my next henna treatment. If I plop my hair, or if I dry with a diffuser and use gel, I can get massive waves and some spirals back, but I have vowed to use no heat in 2012, and am trying to not use gels/mousse on my hair either.

If it is warmer, and my hair dries in under 2 hours it will be wurlier, but on colder days, it is straighter...

I'm not giving up the henna, I refuse...I love it too much... LOL...

I'm experimenting with gently scrunching with different oils while my hair is damp to see which works best, but haven't found the right one just yet.

PriscillaCherel
February 13th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Some times I got a really curly head, and some days I only got a little bit wave.. I don't care that much about the texture.. I think it's nice.. Just have an other hairstyle every day :P

LadyJennifer
February 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mine has only gotten as long as hip, but I didn't lose wurl. It almost seemed curlier longer. It depends more on the weather, washing routine, whether I've brushed it or worn it up.