PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff .......

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
I really really need some help for my flakes .... its embarrassing at this point ... any natural remedies ... I am desperate at this point :confused: i had it all my life tried so many things .. nothing seems to work :(

habioku
February 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
I know how you feel :hug: I had the same problem! I don't know if you tried it already, but for me worked: olive oil massages of my scalp before I wash my hair and a sensitive shampoo (baby shampoo, no dandruff shampoo!) Get well soon!

MissHair
February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
I had this problem and when I started using essential Rosemary oil I unintentionally got rid of ALL the dandruff when I was simply just aiming for a better bloodcirculation when applying it! Please try it! Apply 5-10 drops in you diluted shampoo - makes a difference I promise!

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
I know how you feel :hug: I had the same problem! I don't know if you tried it already, but for me worked: olive oil massages of my scalp before I wash my hair and a sensitive shampoo (baby shampoo, no dandruff shampoo!) Get well soon!
Thanks for the hugs .. I am using castor oil at the moment .. and was wondering if i could use olive oil with it ... i really like how castor oil is making my hair stronger and thicker .... but the dandruff still stays .. how often to massage with olive oil ?? i do agree with dandruff shampoos ... it makes it more worse .. at least for me

Memza
February 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Two applications of cassia pretty much solved my problem so I would recomend giving it a go.

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
I had this problem and when I started using essential Rosemary oil I unintentionally got rid of ALL the dandruff when I was simply just aiming for a better bloodcirculation when applying it! Please try it! Apply 5-10 drops in you diluted shampoo - makes a difference I promise!
Will definitely try rosemary oil .. wonder where can i get some .. when you say dilute shampoo .. whats the shampoo water proportion ??

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
I use monistat and it helped my flakes as well as grew my hair.

MissHair
February 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Will definitely try rosemary oil .. wonder where can i get some .. when you say dilute shampoo .. whats the shampoo water proportion ??

I use about 1 dl. water when I dilute the 2 dime-size shampoo drops. I mix it up in an empty bottle with the essential Rosemary oil. I think you'll be able to find it in your nearest health-shop.

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I use monistat and it helped my flakes as well as grew my hair.
MONISTAT ... really ???

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I use about 1 dl. water when I dilute the 2 dime-size shampoo drops. I mix it up in an empty bottle with the essential Rosemary oil. I think you'll be able to find it in your nearest health-shop.
Thanks for the info .. will definitely try it and keep you posted

MissHair
February 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info .. will definitely try it and keep you posted

Do so. :) Yeah Monistat is really good for dandruff too. Since dandruff comes from fungus... and Monistat is good on removing that. :p

auburntressed
February 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I have struggled with terrible dandruff my entire life. The ONLY thing that has worked for me has been henna. If you don't want the color enhancement, you might try cassia as was recommended. Also scalp massages of various oils have helped me be able to go longer between henna applications, which is good since henna is quite involved. Right now, I use a mix of castor and almond oil on my scalp. And I use olive oil as a pre-treatment for my lengths before I wash.

XcaliburGirl
February 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Here's what has worked for me. I wash daily because I like it and my head itches if I don't. I am not 100% sure which of these helps the most, but it's been working well for almost a year, so I am sticking with it.

- scrub scalp well with pads of fingers EVERY WASH
- keep 'cones away from scalp
- Nizoral dandruff shampoo (for one wash, then go back to usual shampoo. If it's a bad flare up, I'll use it every third wash for a few days.)
- sulfate-free shampoo (one that's not overly drying)

ludwig20
February 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've been using castor oil with EVOO (and sometimes sweet almond oil) before. It has really improved my scalp condition.

Leisje
February 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
I second rosemary essential oil. I add it to my own oil blend and massage into the scalp for overnight treatments.

Also made an infusion to apply on the scalp with a cotton ball.
I simmered together herbs of rosemary, thyme and catnip for 10 minutes. Then allowed to cool. Kept in the fridge, you apply this to the scalp twice daily for 2 weeks.

I've had a dandruff problem for years and now it is completely gone.

MissHair
February 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
I second rosemary essential oil. I add it to my own oil blend and massage into the scalp for overnight treatments.

Also made an infusion to apply on the scalp with a cotton ball.
I simmered together herbs of rosemary, thyme and catnip for 10 minutes. Then allowed to cool. Kept in the fridge, you apply this to the scalp twice daily for 2 weeks.

I've had a dandruff problem for years and now it is completely gone.

Thats great, Im happy it worked for you too. Im going to try applying it to cotton call.

Kelikea
February 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I battles itchy, flaky scalp for years. What worked for me is cutting out all shampoo for 3 months. I did BS and ACV rinse all summer, then switched to CO, and then eventually back to an organic, sls free shampoo and conditioner. I did it gradually, using the shampoo only once weekly until I was sure my scalp would tolerate it. If anything itches, I know not to use that again.

auroraclio
February 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I've had success with adding tea tree oil ...2-3 drops to my shampoo and letting it sit on my scalp for a few minutes before rinsing.

karli
February 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
My dandruff was never "real" dandruff, more sensitivity against some ingrediences, not yet sure on which.. For me co with rosemary has helped, and henna.

mz_butterfly
February 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
I have heard that rinsing or soaking your head in tea (like lipton tea bags) helps get rid of dandruff. I imagine that it may color hair brown from the tannins though. I get dandruff in the winter but it usually goes away with t-gel or head and shoulders.

leena_k
February 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wow thanks guys... so many options..... hopefully something will work :)

habioku
February 5th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the hugs .. I am using castor oil at the moment .. and was wondering if i could use olive oil with it ... i really like how castor oil is making my hair stronger and thicker .... but the dandruff still stays .. how often to massage with olive oil ?? i do agree with dandruff shampoos ... it makes it more worse .. at least for me

Maybe you can mix castor oil and olive oil. I've heard that castor oil alone can dry out. I use olive oil massages for my scalp before every wash.

sarah061
February 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I just used the Target version of Neutrogena T/Gel - it worked!! I did exactly what the directions said, washing it twice in one shower leaving it on for about 5 mins each time.

Followed it up with a heavy conditioner and my scalp is back to normal and my hair is soft and not oily again <3 Good luck you, OP!

coffinhert
February 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Here's what i do, after a year of trying everything from medicated creams to dandruff shampoo:

1. your scalp starts getting flakey and itchy and gross
2. in the afternoon/evening, rub coconut oil all over your entire scalp. don't overdo it. just enough to get your fingertips shiny, then rub against scalp, then repeat to get the entire scalp. it helps to flip your head upsidedown to get the back and behind your ears.
3. in the morning, wash your hair with hot water and whatever you wash it with. i personally use conditioner and a little vinegar mixed in. it makes a nice lather. i do 2-5 repeats depending on how much oil i had put in. lots of oil so my hair looked super oily, 5 repeats. just a little oil, 2 repeats. you will get a feel for how much oil is too much.
4. do a final cold rinse with dilute vinegar.
5. air dry
6. when it starts flaking again, do the oil. it will take a while for your scalp to get fully healthy again (like a couple weeks) but this is a good way for take care of it over time.

common problem: hair is greasy after washing and drying. solution: hop back in the shower and repeat steps 3 and 4.

how it works:
- coconut oil dissolves dandruff
- conditioner dissolves oil and washes it out
- vinegar restores your scalp's natural and healthy pH

Thanks a million to GRU for telling me about coconut oil for dandruff!

whimaway
February 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I have also had dry flaky scalp for most of my life. I usually massage an oilive oil/spearmint oil onto my scalp before I hop in the shower. Then I may clarify with a sulfate free shampoo, or just conditioner wash, as my hair doesn't like shampoos much. Regardless, I make sure to thoroughly scrub my scalp with my fingerpads. I also will add brown sugar to my co-wash for extra exfoliation. Then I rinse everything out and my scalp feels so much better. Oh and tea tree oil products are awesome for numbing irritated scalps. :)

I am going to try coconut oil too though... I use it for my hair but I have heard it is great for flakes too.

anikadear
February 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I've had success with adding tea tree oil ...2-3 drops to my shampoo and letting it sit on my scalp for a few minutes before rinsing.

This and henna has eliminated my dandruff completely. I nix a little olive oil and tea tree and massage my scalp with it if I get itchies which has been very rare